Hi. Interested in hearing a set of Magnepans, reviews sound great BUT I know it’s a taste thing. Not aware of any business in Melbourne selling/demoing these. Have never heard any panel speakers. Particularly interested in 1.7,1.6,.7,LRS. But 5 min demo of any magnepan would reveal what the reviewers are speaking of.

Anyone interested in demo/selling pm me

Talk to @andyr and talk to @sir sanders zingmore who has the superior(from some reports) panels that Magtech make.

• Like 1

Thanks Luc. 

Appreciate your help

8 minutes ago, Luc said:

Talk to @andyr and talk to @sir sanders zingmore who has the superior(from some reports) panels that Magtech make.

Thanks for the mention, Lee ... but them's fight'n words!  :lol:

Sure, @Mjj - if you would like to PM me, we can arrange an audition.  But be aware - mine are the bigger, true-ribbon Maggies ... however, yes, you will get the 'Maggie essence' from them, which you will also hear in the smaller ones (just not so high and so low).

I'm in Richmond.

Andy

Hello,

I am interested.

Melbourne area?

m

@Mjj understand the dilemma not being able to audition Maggie’s. Unfortunately I moved to Adelaide at the start of this year, otherwise I would have offered a listen if my 3.7iR’s. I am sure that @andyr will help you out. There are others as well. Good luck, just be warned, there’s no turning back

2 hours ago, Mjj said:

Hello,

I am interested.

Melbourne area?

m

Yes, 

because it’s in storage you have  2 options for auditioning, western or northern suburb?  Or you can buy it without auditioning, I wouldn’t recommend it if you have never auditioned the product line.   Definitely auditioned them as they are not for everyone.  They are currently in storage in Northern Suburb Melb.   

You’re welcome to come and listen to my 1.7i’s, powered by Linear Tube Audio / Sanders Magtech. I’m in Melb. S.E.

Pete.

@Mjj, I think this is a better option than listening to mine (given they're 1.7is):

5 hours ago, Peter-C said:

You’re welcome to come and listen to my 1.7i’s, powered by Linear Tube Audio / Sanders Magtech. I’m in Melb. S.E.

Pete.

Aah, @mjs - so you are in 'Church City', now - I hope you are enjoying life.  :thumb:

And @Mjj - be aware that you will never get the best out of your Maggies without the right kind of amp (of which Magtech is a prime example - but also ME850, Wired4Sound 1000s and others).

Andy

Thanks @andyr I was thinking the same re: 1.7 demo. 

I’ve read a lot on amplification for these speakers- there seem to be lots of opinions as usual, but consensus..LOTS of current. I currently use a Naim NAP250 (75 watts into 8 ohms) aA number of reviews have commented that 50w Naim drives LRS very well and NAP200 Drives 1.6 well. Think I will just need to try it out. BTW most of my listening is low to moderate volumes.- 4 year old twins at home. How have you found the lower listening levels?

I have a medium sized REL sub which is like to augment the bass with.

9 minutes ago, Mjj said:

I’ve read a lot on amplification for these speakers- there seem to be lots of opinions as usual, but consensus..LOTS of current. I currently use a Naim NAP250 (75 watts into 8 ohms) aA number of reviews have commented that 50w Naim drives LRS very well and NAP200 Drives 1.6 well. Think I will just need to try it out. BTW most of my listening is low to moderate volumes.- 4 year old twins at home. How have you found the lower listening levels?

I sold my set of 1.7 and set them up at the new owners, he was using a vintage Sony integrated to drive them, sounded pretty good!  He was rapped, sounded better than his dynaudios 

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Mjj said:

Michael, I started off with a Naim 250 on my IIIas - it wasn't a good match.  :(  Yes, you will read reviews that say "50w is all you need for LRS" or "a NAP200 drives 1.6s well".  I suggest these reviews are well-meaning - and true in the sense that "the amps did a good job".  But the reviewers never had the opportunity of getting the most out of the Maggies they were reviewing; it's only when you get into the category of high current amps like ME850, Magtech and others ... that the speakers start to deliver their best!

Yes, augmenting the bottom end with a sub or two is a good idea, IMO (particularly when you put a high-pass filter on the amp driving the Maggies, to reduce the distortion which comes from having single-sided magnets).

Good luck (and by all means come along to my place as well as Peter's, to hear the differences.

Andy

Thanks Andy.

Regarding non-critical / ambience (out of room) listening are they unlistenable parked next or close to the wall? 

m

I run mine with a pair of REL subs, I run them high level as the LTA MZ2 doesn’t have a spare preamp out.

I have the speakers 1.2mt out from the front wall and toed in. I also have Bills stands, which make a huge difference. Bill sells and uses Autoformers, which he had with the Nuprimes at the last show.

As I said, you’re welcome to a listen, just pm me.

Pete.

B732D2BF-B979-4D2D-A8EF-63A0727002A4.jpeg

I never tried the stand with my .7. In the short time I used them I thought they were pretty good already. I did buy a Rhythmik sub kit but never got around to making it.The whole lot has been in storage since 2015 :(

18 hours ago, andyr said:

Thanks for the mention, Lee ... but them's fight'n words!  :lol:

Sure, @Mjj - if you would like to PM me, we can arrange an audition.  But be aware - mine are the bigger, true-ribbon Maggies ... however, yes, you will get the 'Maggie essence' from them, which you will also hear in the smaller ones (just not so high and so low).

I'm in Richmond.

Andy

Lee's just stirring Andy don't bite  :)

@Mjj if you want to hear my panels (not maggies, I have sanders electrostats), drop me a PM and we might be able to arrange something

47 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Lee's just stirring Andy don't bite  :)

Yeah, well ... he is a NSWelshman!  :lol:

48 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

@Mjj if you want to hear my panels (not maggies, I have sanders electrostats), drop me a PM and we might be able to arrange something

That would be a very good thing to do, @Mjj.

The same amps (Magtechs) ... but electrostatics vs. electromagnetic; both are dipoles!  :thumb:

Andy

Maggies 'can' play with many amplifiers--that's not disputed. But unless you hear them driven with the high current  others here are alluding to you're only getting a hint of what they will do. It's not worth saving money by buying/using an ordinary amplifier in this situation, IMO. When you hear what they sound like with a Sanders Magtech  amplifier (for example), you realise that Magnepan underplays this high-current necessity in their promotional material. They happily state that it's a 4 ohm speaker, around 86dB impedance. This implies  a minimum of 100W of driving into 4 ohms. No self-respecting store would demonstrate Maggies with an ordinary integrated amplifier. Nor should a true music lover pretend they would sound great driven like that!

There is a lot of discussion around the driving of Maggies because I think that many music lovers can't quite see their way clear to get a muscle/high-current amp after they do their calculations regarding efficiency and output and such. Let's just say that the speaker's true measurements (#1) and the actual amp's current output (#2) together in the room (#3) rarely match up elegantly. This is because the numbers might not be correct in the real world in all cases (#1 + #2 + #3 = a serious listening session--regardless of the technical match).

Some techies say that Magneplanar speakers can drop to 80dB--and below--when performing. The impedance might be around 2 ohms in the higher frequencies (Maggie 1.7; 20.7; 30.7). And how many amplifiers can really drive a 4 ohm load 'satisfactorily'?

I traded in my Vincent 331 amp (a good 300W into 4 ohms) because (surprisingly) it 'didn't quite get there' driving my Maggie 1.7s. I have heard the Meridian 300W amp and the wonderful Sanders Magtech driving Maggies; either would have been OK for me. Due to a funds shortage I settled on the Wyred4Sound ST-1000 (around 1100W into 4 ohms) and never looked back. Plenty of power. But, the Maggies did sound sweet with chamber jazz while being driven by 22W of SET power. They just never were able to cope with most transients or play fully fleshed-out music with that relatively paltry amount of current/headroom provided. Ditto with other nice-sounding amps up to 100W output that I experimented with. Of course.

In this situation I can certainly recommend W4S amps, which to me sound on the clear and clean part of the sonic spectrum, not the rich or sweet end. With a valve preamp upstream to beautify the signal (OK, I can't help being a valve lover) you will breathe easy because you're not hearing, nor listening for, subtle distortions of the kind that appear all too often when the power amplifier is straining.

There is just no substitute for high current. Confirm by listening.

Just my 2c worth.

• Like 2