Hi all,

I'm currently exploring some R2R dac options (with internal volume control) to compliment my Delta Sigma dac RME ADI2 fs.

The RME is great, especially for electronica, however I would very much like a second R2R option for a more natural tone/presentation.

I have previously owned TDA1541 DAC's, and heard one or two PCM56/PCM1702's Dac's, so I was thinking a vintage (Burr Brown) chipset or custom R2R resistor DAC might be a great place to start. 

My setup is: 

RPI4/Pi2AES HAT> SPDIF> RME ADI>FIRSTWATT F7> SPEAKERS

I currently use the RME as my preamp, and I would prefer not to need one for the R2R option.

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

I found the Soekris line of R2R's which offer internal volume control, should I consider any other brands? 

http://www.soekris.dk/products.html

I'm honestly surprised the Denafrips and Holo models typically don't offer this. Although I did see the Holo Cyan model has in built volume control, but that's a lower performance model.  

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-holo-audio-cyan-dsd-dac.6992/

Voltage is too low for the Fristwatt F7, which needs 2.7V for max output. Firstwatt F7 specs (Noting the RME has heaps of headroom to drive this amplifier): 

image.png.bb66cf715d185c028769a551e61341af.png

My other option is to suck it up and grab a passive preamp like the Lightspeed attenuator or a simple potentiometer. 

Any thoughts are welcome. 

On a side note: 

I have a friend that purchased this DAC, he reports the DAC to sound excellent, he upgraded the board with PCM56k chips: 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001914143279.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.7b1e7e55lKtclk&algo_pvid=37066605-931d-43d7-b3b8-0f762de080f5&algo_expid=37066605-931d-43d7-b3b8-0f762de080f5-3&btsid=0bb0623916166347358422215ec12b&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

But no volume control.... 

Thanks 

Steve 

Edited by Grizaudio

Depending on budget the audio-gd r27/r8 would do what you want and the 2021 model has a great usb implementation should that be of use down the track

39 minutes ago, barbz127 said:

Depending on budget the audio-gd r27/r8 would do what you want and the 2021 model has a great usb implementation should that be of use down the track

Thanks for that suggestion. 
ASR measurements are not too favourable.

Check the Holo Spring thread on Audiophilestyle.  It mentions the Spring 3 is due out soon and has the option of adding a preamp module.  So this will probably suit you perfectly.

1 hour ago, madfonzy said:

Check the Holo Spring thread on Audiophilestyle.  It mentions the Spring 3 is due out soon and has the option of adding a preamp module.  So this will probably suit you perfectly.

Amazing thanks 

3 hours ago, madfonzy said:

I'm struggling to find the thread you are referring to. 

Do you have a link? 

5 hours ago, Grizaudio said:

Thanks for that suggestion. 
ASR measurements are not too favourable.

I wouldn't stress about measurements when your looking at r2r dac's...

1 minute ago, barbz127 said:

I wouldn't stress about measurements when your looking at r2r dac's...

I'm not stressed, but measurements/performance is important. As to is SQ. 

I.e Holo May for instance. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, madfonzy said:

Thanks they are referring to a head amp and preamp:

There will be two versions. One is preamp serene, the other will be headamp serene.

there is too much to put both into one chassis. The headamp version is not ready yet.

3 hours ago, Grizaudio said:

Thanks they are referring to a head amp and preamp:

There will be two versions. One is preamp serene, the other will be headamp serene.

there is too much to put both into one chassis. The headamp version is not ready yet.

Last post they are referring to the Spring 3.  Copied the text below for you.  The Serene is a separate item.  

"From Tim 😄

Current Spring 3 Details;
Price:
Level 1 $1998
Level 2 $2298
KTE      $2798
All Models have optional Pre-Amp module for an additional $500. This is a fully balanced, discrete design.
    The module can be easily installed at a later date if you change your mind.

Trickle down technology from the May DAC.
Exclusive to the Spring 3 KTE model; The enhanced USB module found in the MAY DAC, which includes Titanus 2.0 FPGA circuit.

Additional details to be disclosed on the launch date. Estimated for late-April to mid-May 2021.

CJH"

• Love 1
On 02/04/2021 at 4:46 PM, Grizaudio said:

I'm not stressed, but measurements/performance is important. As to is SQ. 

I.e Holo May for instance. 

Spring 3 prototype measurements available on ASR.  Looks very impressive 

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-preview-of-holo-audio-spring-3-dac-wpreamp-prototype.22083/

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, madfonzy said:

R2R and bloody fantastic measurements + preamp!!  

Whats not to like. 

Edited by Grizaudio

24 minutes ago, madfonzy said:

I think this is the one! Thanks for the heads up. 

Plenty of output too to drive low gain amplifiers. 

Now it just needs to be released!