Turntable with Amp in 1 - are there any decent ones?

Good evening, I am wanting to put a turntable in my downstairs area which is I have converted into a pinball & arcade room. We have a beautiful old buffet bar i was hoping to put it on as pictured & plan to put some bookshelf speakers on the built in window-shelf behind it.

As the buffet opens up in the middle to be a mirrored bar, i was hoping i might be able to get a turntable with an amp built in, which also could accept bluetooth to connect to spotify via phone. I still want this item to provide great sound. I have a very nice sound system in another part in my house ( Pathos TT w/ Zu Supremes) so i dont need this to be my best stereo - but i do want it to sound very nice with vinyl & be a grade above a Sonos quality speaker etc.

The reason i am thinking a record player and amp in one is as you can see from the pictures, space is limited. The middle top opens up so cannot hold an item. I would then like to keep the left side to be free to hold the record which is playing I am hoping i can fit the amp and TT on one side, with just the bookshelf speakers behind it.  If anyone has suggestions on the bookshelf speakers, that would be great too,

Does such a thing exist?  A few years ago I visited Japan and stayed in a great little air bnb apartment which i swear had an item like this. I thought it sounded pretty good, but cant find a picture.

Budget for overall setup would be $1-2k.

Thanks in advance for any advice

1-3.jpg

1-2.jpg

1-4.jpg

1.jpg

1-1.jpg

If anyone else had a good sound solution for this i would love to hear. Basically i need a TT and an Amp which would fit on one side of the pictured cabinet - the speakers will definitely sit behind the cabinet to ensure the glass shelving etc did not rattle etc. I would especially be interested if anyone felt there was a good vintage equipment set up that would work here

5 hours ago, EV Cali said:

Thanks for sending this through - I have actually come across this in my search before and seemed to rate ok - do you know what the sound quality is like on them? I was thinking I would prefer to have bookshelf speakers purely as the cabinet below is full of glass shelves and and glasswear.  - there would be a chance of vibration through the unit & a crap load of rattling if the speaker actually sat on top.

I am open to other ides, especially if there is perhaps an amp out there that would be small enough to fit alongside a TT - or an easy way for the TT to sit above it.   I've always liked tge idea of making a cool system using good quality, well respected vintage equipment that tries to get a very different feel to music than my  Pathos TT/Zu Soul Supremes. Been reading into the JBL 4312M Compact Monitor 3 Ways  and think they could be a great addition to build around as I have always liked that Studio Monitor sound

Cliff, "The Groove man" brings one along to the local record fairs, that he provides a record cleaning service at. So I have only heard it in a large room with lot's of people talking so a bit hard to judge the sound quality. But it does get good reviews.

Noticed it has a internal speaker off switch but not sure if it can out put to external speakers.

• Like 1

I'd suggest getting a "normal" vintage turntable, and an amp that would fit on the shelf between the speakers.  You will be getting much better quality than I would expect that you could get from a combined tt/amp. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

I'd suggest getting a "normal" vintage turntable, and an amp that would fit on the shelf between the speakers.  You will be getting much better quality than I would expect that you could get from a combined tt/amp. 

I am thinking the same thing tbh  -it just going to be a challenge to fit it on how i wanted - budget on this is an issue. I don't know a heck of a lot about old systems, so will need to start doing some research. I would like this set up to have a very "fun" sound. All the details are not as relevant - i have that set-up upstairs already.

Did a bit of reading on the JBL 4312M bookshelfs and they sound interesting - not sure what i would pair it up with amp, wise though. I currently have a Rega RP3 upstairs with  ortofon Blue cart and a heap of different mods (PSU P/S & all GrooveTracer parts). I could probably move that down stairs to use as the TT as i have been wanting to upgrade to something better for me Pathos TT / ZU-SSs.

I would love to hear anyones suggestions for a 2nd-hand setup to suit my needs and budget  on this. Basically $1-2k for some bookshelf speakers and and amp that would bunch above its weight in the fun stock - to be paired with a Rega RP3 with PSU, upgrades etc.

Music style will likely be 90's+ rock - as well as a good variety of 60's & 70's stuff

There are lots of good Japanese amps from the 70/80's that are excellent value.  And for something British you might consider the Audiolab 8000A, which comes up periodically on the SNA classifieds. 

• Like 1

Something like this would suit that buffet.

B&O Beogram 1500. Amp and table in one with inputs for tape or tuner.

A massive 8 watts/ch in original form.

Cosmetically this was excellent but most of the electrics were fried so I fitted a 15 watt D class amp.

DSC01720.jpg.f25b68163fd90c30aa983959f8105f3e.jpgDSC01722.jpg.8418e05f44fa08f96e456ce89096ad41.jpg

Tony 

• Like 2

Ok so after a day of searching i think i have decided against the TT and amp in 1 options and will start searching for a set of Bookshelf speakers that have enough power to them to handle "well enough" the room size i have, which is about 50m2., then a 2nd hand vintage amp that can handle them. Thanks for the advice above - will basically close this thread now and start my search for a set of bookshelfs

Really looking forward to the challenge of finding a good pair of vintage speakers and an amp to suit for as close to $1 to 1.5k as possible - just want this system to have a nice fun sound to them for entertaining purposes & i think a vintage sound system will be a really nice contrast to my higher-end audiophile system upstairs :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RaoulJuke said:

Ok so after a day of searching i think i have decided against the TT and amp in 1 options and will start searching for a set of Bookshelf speakers that have enough power to them to handle "well enough" the room size i have, which is about 50m2., then a 2nd hand vintage amp that can handle them. Thanks for the advice above - will basically close this thread now and start my search for a set of bookshelfs

Really looking forward to the challenge of finding a good pair of vintage speakers and an amp to suit for as close to $1 to 1.5k as possible - just want this system to have a nice fun sound to them for entertaining purposes & i think a vintage sound system will be a really nice contrast to my higher-end audiophile system upstairs :)

Have you thought about a pair of powered bookshelf speakers, Klipsch have sets from $700, would cut out the need for an amp.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neurone said:

Have you thought about a pair of powered bookshelf speakers, Klipsch have sets from $700, would cut out the need for an amp.

?this. And check out the newish Yamaha decks. The do Bluetooth etc. 

4 hours ago, Neurone said:

No, i am not really a big audio-head, not real educated on this stuff to be honest. Do you have an example of a Klipsch that would do this?  are they powerful enough to carry a room 50m2 - the roof is quite low (2.4) and the speakers would sit about half way up the wall as per the window shelf you see - which i think will really elevate the sound in that room 

32 minutes ago, Pipey said:

?this. And check out the newish Yamaha decks. The do Bluetooth etc. 

So they have a TT which can access bluetooth? Thats pretty nuts. I am probably thinking my Rega will go down there as i am still very keen to upgrade the TT for my main system - with the "powered Klipsch" speakers - is there any add ons i can do to them to have a bluetooth, or even a DAC with a laptop connected?

I do have a bluetooth sonos in there which works ok with the spotify if all else fails

375039132_ScreenShot2021-04-03at6_24_04pm.thumb.png.58576f944b5486856b0901be0af377d7.png

Looking them up, really like the look of these as i think they would suit the cabinet in front nicely and it appears they have a good level of performance to boot.

So i can make sure i understand this - these would be able to accept my Rega RP3 to connect directly into it - no amp required - while also able to connect to spotify, directly from my phone via bluetooth

Do people rate them for sound?

Guest thethrowback

Personally, I would go with a jukebox to complete the pinny parlour effect. Throw in a couple of truculent teenagers sucking on durries and it would be like a time warp to the 1970s (just ignore the Pac-man video game for the moment).

value_of_a_1970s_seeburg_jukebox_x3.jpeg

I'm not an expert in powered speakers.  However, I would expect that your Rega TT will need to go into a phono stage ti increase the weak phono signal to "line level" first.  Unless the Klipsch speakers you are looking at have a "phono" input.

19 hours ago, RaoulJuke said:

375039132_ScreenShot2021-04-03at6_24_04pm.thumb.png.58576f944b5486856b0901be0af377d7.png

Looking them up, really like the look of these as i think they would suit the cabinet in front nicely and it appears they have a good level of performance to boot.

So i can make sure i understand this - these would be able to accept my Rega RP3 to connect directly into it - no amp required - while also able to connect to spotify, directly from my phone via bluetooth

Do people rate them for sound?

The Klipsch Sixes have a built in Phono, so you would be able to connect a TT directly into them, they are Bluetooth enabled

Klipsch are a very good speaker maker, reviews below :

https://www.tonepublications.com/review/klipsch-the-sixes-powered-speakers/

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/klipsch-the-sixes-speaker-review-mid-fi-at-its-finest/

https://www.cnet.com/news/at-last-a-wireless-speaker-with-a-rock-and-roll-heart/

https://www.vinylrevival.com.au/products/klipsch-the-sixes-powered-speakers

https://darko.audio/2017/02/the-devil-and-his-details-klipschs-the-sixes-loudspeaker/

• Like 2

I’m not convinced that bookshelves would have enough power in a 50m2 room...bass might be a little weak? Or the amp would be running hard. Not sure how efficient they are, but I see they are rated 100 wpc RMS.

IIRC the bluetooth Yamaha TT that was mentioned earlier in the thread has a matched speaker setup that you should check out. 

Then in terms of your system upstairs, I doubt the Yamaha would be an upgrade to your Rega. Rega P3 with a nice cartridge is a very good TT...

Edited by RNWau