Newbie question about Amp, subwoofer and crossover (NAD C368+Kef LS50+Kef KC62)

Hey guys,

I have a newbie question:

I have just purchased a Kef KC62 subwoofer.

My amp is a NAD C368, where you can set a low pass filter at 150hz (fixed, I can't set any other value)

The crossover dial on the subwoofer goes from 40-140hz.

Where should I set it to get the best result? Shouldn't the crossover on the sub be set where the crossover on the amp is set as well?

Thanks A LOT in advance!

@Marco79 This is from the NAD manual

Filters provide easy bi-amplification or subwoofer integration by adding the required filters to redirect bass frequencies to the subwoofer. High Pass: Low pass signal up to 150 Hz is attenuated and over 150 Hz sent to the speakers. This is based from 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley Crossover Filter @150 Hz.IMPORTANT NOTEIf different crossover filter settings are required, it is recommended to use the filters built into the connected external Powered Subwoofer. Experiment by reversing the polarity of the Subwoofer or use a combination of filters, for example, the High Pass filter built into the C368 and run full range to the Subwoofer and set the Crossover filter setting on the Subwoofer itself. Note that changing the level can also change the crossover frequency, so experimentation is the only way to get an optimal result

Had a look at your sub and it does have input and output RCA connections but the pic was poor and I couldn't find the manual for it so I don't know if there is a high pass filter on it or not. Looks like only 2 dials though so probably only low pass to sub and volume.

If this is the case I would just run your speakers full range through the NAD and send a preout to the sub. Experiment for yourself what sounds best on the sub. I'd guess 60 or 80hz

Bit of a shame the NAD can't be configured and set at only 150hz.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

@Marco79 This is from the NAD manual

Filters provide easy bi-amplification or subwoofer integration by adding the required filters to redirect bass frequencies to the subwoofer. High Pass: Low pass signal up to 150 Hz is attenuated and over 150 Hz sent to the speakers. This is based from 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley Crossover Filter @150 Hz.IMPORTANT NOTEIf different crossover filter settings are required, it is recommended to use the filters built into the connected external Powered Subwoofer. Experiment by reversing the polarity of the Subwoofer or use a combination of filters, for example, the High Pass filter built into the C368 and run full range to the Subwoofer and set the Crossover filter setting on the Subwoofer itself. Note that changing the level can also change the crossover frequency, so experimentation is the only way to get an optimal result

Had a look at your sub and it does have input and output RCA connections but the pic was poor and I couldn't find the manual for it so I don't know if there is a high pass filter on it or not. Looks like only 2 dials though so probably only low pass to sub and volume.

If this is the case I would just run your speakers full range through the NAD and send a preout to the sub. Experiment for yourself what sounds best on the sub. I'd guess 60 or 80hz

Bit of a shame the NAD can't be configured and set at only 150hz.

I’ll try. And yes just two dials for crossover and volume.

So basically you’re telling me to link the sub to the pre out of my amp (L+R rca), not set anything on the NAD amp (no low pass activated) and then play around 60-80hz on the sub? Have I understood correctly?