Newbie question about Amp, subwoofer and crossover (NAD C368+Kef LS50+Kef KC62)

Hey guys,

I have a newbie question:

I have just purchased a Kef KC62 subwoofer.

My amp is a NAD C368, where you can set a low pass filter at 150hz (fixed, I can't set any other value)

The crossover dial on the subwoofer goes from 40-140hz.

Where should I set it to get the best result? Shouldn't the crossover on the sub be set where the crossover on the amp is set as well?

Thanks A LOT in advance!

@Marco79 This is from the NAD manual

Filters provide easy bi-amplification or subwoofer integration by adding the required filters to redirect bass frequencies to the subwoofer. High Pass: Low pass signal up to 150 Hz is attenuated and over 150 Hz sent to the speakers. This is based from 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley Crossover Filter @150 Hz.IMPORTANT NOTEIf different crossover filter settings are required, it is recommended to use the filters built into the connected external Powered Subwoofer. Experiment by reversing the polarity of the Subwoofer or use a combination of filters, for example, the High Pass filter built into the C368 and run full range to the Subwoofer and set the Crossover filter setting on the Subwoofer itself. Note that changing the level can also change the crossover frequency, so experimentation is the only way to get an optimal result

Had a look at your sub and it does have input and output RCA connections but the pic was poor and I couldn't find the manual for it so I don't know if there is a high pass filter on it or not. Looks like only 2 dials though so probably only low pass to sub and volume.

If this is the case I would just run your speakers full range through the NAD and send a preout to the sub. Experiment for yourself what sounds best on the sub. I'd guess 60 or 80hz

Bit of a shame the NAD can't be configured and set at only 150hz.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

@Marco79 This is from the NAD manual

Filters provide easy bi-amplification or subwoofer integration by adding the required filters to redirect bass frequencies to the subwoofer. High Pass: Low pass signal up to 150 Hz is attenuated and over 150 Hz sent to the speakers. This is based from 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley Crossover Filter @150 Hz.IMPORTANT NOTEIf different crossover filter settings are required, it is recommended to use the filters built into the connected external Powered Subwoofer. Experiment by reversing the polarity of the Subwoofer or use a combination of filters, for example, the High Pass filter built into the C368 and run full range to the Subwoofer and set the Crossover filter setting on the Subwoofer itself. Note that changing the level can also change the crossover frequency, so experimentation is the only way to get an optimal result

Had a look at your sub and it does have input and output RCA connections but the pic was poor and I couldn't find the manual for it so I don't know if there is a high pass filter on it or not. Looks like only 2 dials though so probably only low pass to sub and volume.

If this is the case I would just run your speakers full range through the NAD and send a preout to the sub. Experiment for yourself what sounds best on the sub. I'd guess 60 or 80hz

Bit of a shame the NAD can't be configured and set at only 150hz.

I’ll try. And yes just two dials for crossover and volume.

So basically you’re telling me to link the sub to the pre out of my amp (L+R rca), not set anything on the NAD amp (no low pass activated) and then play around 60-80hz on the sub? Have I understood correctly?

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By rhcp_steve
      Item: SVS SB2000 sub
      Price Range: $900
      Item Condition: Used
      Extra Info: Brisbane based but will consider interstate purchase
    • By Naz.shr
      Item Condition: As new Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Perth State: WA Payment Method: Cash, Paypal Reason for selling: Going a different route Further information:
      Bought recently from another SNA member. Great sub for both HT and 2ch music, needs no introduction. 
      Shipping available with original packaging. 
      Donation to SNA on successful sale.

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.

• By Gibbsy88
      Item Condition: As new. Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Sunbury State: VIC Payment Method: Paypal plus fees, EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Moved house and no longer have the room. Further information: Regretful sale. I love this beast but simply do not have to room for it in the new house. Comes in the original box with remote and receipt (bought 2017 with 5 year warranty) etc. Has seen around 150 hours of use. Local buyers preferred due to the size and weight of this sub.

PB16-Ultra features a massive 16” Ultra driver with astonishing 8" edge wound voice coil, a stunningly powerful 1,500 watts continuous, 5,000+ watts peak power Sledge amplifier with fully discrete MOSFET output, triple 3.5" front-firing high-flow ports and an innovative subwoofer control and DSP smartphone app with custom presets for precise tuning. The ultimate ported box subwoofer.

Other items for sale:
      - Paradigm Studio 100 V5 floorstands in Black Ash.
      - Paradigm Studio CC-690 V5 centre speaker in Piano Black.
      - Paradigm Studio ADP-590 V5 3-way surround speakers.
      - Emotiva XPA-1 Gen 1 power amplifiers x 2.

Reasonable offers considered.

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.

• By :) Go Away (:
      Not sure if this is the right place for this topic.

Hey guys,

I have recently got a fixation on big woofers and Compression driver (high sensitivity speakers) for my stereo need. These JBLs are half of what I wanted (just no CD Tweeter but still with waveguide, not sure of their sensitivity) but I had always wanted to try them out, and I am glad I did. These are really amazing speakers and can't believe how low and deep these speakers can go and with neutral tone. They just sound sublime.

Anyway, I love these speakers, only gripe is that these are active speakers. I like and much prefer passive speakers as it allows me to try different amps, preamps and various room EQ (Room EQ is big for me). My current amp is not that great but it does come with amazing room EQ and sub out, it just integrates my speakers with sub so much better. Unfortunately, it does not have any preouts for speakers to use it with active speakers. 

What I am thinking is, may be I can make these active speakers into passive speakers by removing the back plate amp and adding a new passive crossover. This way I can have these amazing speakers with good room EQ and sub integration. All though, there is no need for adding a sub with these speakers as they go quite low as is but room EQ is something I want.

So, these leads me to asking, is there anyone who can help me build couple of crossovers for these speakers? Is it a right approach? 

What I have been able to find so far is that the cross over is specified as "1800Hz 4th order acoustic Linkwitz-Riley". 
    • By PauliD
      Item Condition: very good Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Marrickville State: NSW Payment Method: PayID or cash Reason for selling: wanting to try something else Further information:
      The Sunfire HRS-12 is a legit 1000Wrms 12inch subwoofer designed by Bob Carver which is still $2649 rrp (apollohifi). Heaps of output for its size which Audioholics rated it 'large room'. I have used it in a loft apartment and a small lounge room with great results. Paired with Jamo c803, Elac 243.3 and currently KEF Q900s. I still have the double boxes, but no shipping I'm sorry, pick up only.
      I have also owned the HRS-8 and the extra cone area of the 12 took it another level. I was looking for a second one to go dual for a while but another one never came up at the same time I had the money. This time I want to try another brand to see what it's like, everything else has changed in my system already not it's the subs turn.
      I would like to note that on very close up inspection you can see some swirl marks in the super glossy finish and there is a slight thump when going in and out of standby (I also experienced this on the HRS-8 so I assume that just how the amp works). I have never had any issues and never really been able to push it to the limits as I want to friends with my neighbours (shared wall).

Full Specs: https://www.sunfire.com/product/single-12-1000w-powered-subwoofer-black-lacquer-HRS12

Audioholics review: https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/sunfire-hrs-12-subwoofer/hrs-12-listening-tests

Photos:

Thanks for looking!

PLEASE READ