This thread is for people to post photos of their adventures in room tuning with plants...

My good friend @Assisi has a real passion for music and plants.  I’m sure he can help out with some tips and tweaks for young players!

• Haha 2

Very interesting thread @Stereophilus ... there have been many posts of the Planar Asylum about people using ficus plants behind their Maggies, to provide some dispersion.  :)

Andy

I’m still a noob in this particular facet of audiophilia @andyr.  Keen to learn though!  

Maybe we can establish some common speaker synergies as you are alluding to?

Ficus with Planars

Bamboo with horns?

Cactus with sealed boxes?

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

I’m still a noob in this particular facet of audiophilia @andyr.  Keen to learn though!  

Maybe we can establish some common speaker synergies as you are alluding to?

Ficus with Planars

Bamboo with horns?

Cactus with sealed boxes?

I'm not alluding to any perticklar synergies, S - merely recounting what I have read.  Ficus plants (which I think are what is shown in the Darko link you provided?) are merely a good plant to provide dispersion of the rear wave (for Maggies).  I'm surprised they also work well for box spkrs!

Re. sealed boxes ... I would suggest banana trees are more appropriate than cactus.  :lol:

Andy

• Haha 1

Maggie owners tend to favour Rubber trees to ensure there is a ready supply of material to repair the panels.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
3 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

Just having some fun with ya @andyr

Careful, S - if I were a 'Snowflake' (like some others round here) ... I might report your post to the mods for bullying.  :lol:

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, Telecine said:

Maggie owners tend to favour Rubber trees to ensure there is a ready supply of material to repair the panels.

Ah, of course!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, andyr said:

Careful, S - if I was a 'Snowflake' (like some others round here) ... I might report your post to the mods for bullying.  :lol:

Andy

Eeek! Not the mods! I’ll be good...

I easily qualify for this thread because my better half is mad about plants.  My setup has had many plants transitioning through the music (errrr. family) room, including ficus, palms, succulents etc.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/300131-kii-audio-owners-and-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4562928

Sadly, none could do the job of what the Sound Accoustics panels did (& WAF approved!).  ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bob_m_54 said:

plants.jpg.952b25633591dfd54b71156b15e7bf7c.jpg

I've heard these can cause a buzz...

• Like 4

I can kill a house plant in less than a week and probably quicker if they had to listen to my taste in music.

I think weed is the best option for enhancing music appreciation and forget the rest.

Edited by thethrowback
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

plants.jpg.952b25633591dfd54b71156b15e7bf7c.jpg

Does your lighting system interfere with your audio system?  Asking for a friend. 

• Haha 3

if i had a choice i would rather have a nice looking plant than a panel on / next to the wall.

I did notice recently that sitting in the garden is more fun with the stereo loud enough to hear, spose that counts hey.

I note that bobs plants have tuning sticks, mostly white pistols and aren't quite ready to harvest -but my eyes are actually quite rooted.

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, zenikoy said:

Does your lighting system interfere with your audio system?  Asking for a friend. 

NO, but it gives me a good tan... :)

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

That's a lovely looking listening room ?

Thank you, it is a really nice spot to listen to music and relax. The view out the window to the side of room is nice also. Lots of greenery, very relaxing. ?F55D2D16-ED57-4FCC-97CC-681209AF9FF7.thumb.jpeg.1bb0a04409096e590b0b9dfc5e918241.jpeg

• Like 2

All jokes aside, my biggest fear having house plants near expensive audio equipment is water. The two don't mix and when they do the result isn't pretty.

Edited by thethrowback
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, christosd said:

From the Duntech Crown Prince Manual. 

16174113473486350904269227567807.jpg

Gee that diagram looks incredibly similar to your main listening room mate, is that an amazing coincidence or by design? 

11 hours ago, Willmax said:

Gee that diagram looks incredibly similar to your main listening room mate, is that an amazing coincidence or by design? 

It is a bit of a coincidence as I used to run the dunnies alot further out but then after years of playing around, they eventually found themselves similar to above. I'm surprised Dunlavy's drawing didn't specify the species of plants!

I'd love to have plants in the corners instead of my ugly record cabinets though. The only hard and fast rule from Dunlavy I always adhered to though, was the actual listening distance. 

Edited by christosd
  • Like 1

Bought this palm a couple of year ago in a 6 inch pot.  Grew a little.  Looks  ok in the family room 

7FE7CBDD-356D-490D-8B17-63E6950BD7B7.thumb.jpeg.c3257d9c4358063c3b1e734560fd0bae.jpeg

• Like 7

Hello Stereophilus,

an interesting thread! 

But I'm not sure if you intend it as a showcase thread? Or a discussion thread? Or a humour thread? :)

After looking at the video you linked, I'm not sure if the vlogger is pulling our collective leg??? Just one of too many potential examples: "the great thing about this plant is that we can vary how damp the treble is by adjusting the amount of watering" (showing water being poured into a plant's pot)...... 

cheers

Grant

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Grant Slack said:

Hello Stereophilus,

an interesting thread! 

But I'm not sure if you intend it as a showcase thread? Or a discussion thread? Or a humour thread? :)

After looking at the video you linked, I'm not sure if the vlogger is pulling our collective leg??? Just one of too many potential examples: "the great thing about this plant is that we can vary how damp the treble is by adjusting the amount of watering" (showing water being poured into a plant's pot)...... 

cheers

Grant

You're not sure if the video is humour or serious?  Personally, I think it's very clear the video is firmly tongue in cheek.  Any doubt is relieved at the end of video.

This thread is titled "plants for room tuning" as a conversation starter for discussion about plants in the listening environment, understanding that plants offer both visual and (a probably minor) sonic benefit to a listening environment.

Addit: I'm happy for the conversation to be all of the things you mentioned... humour, photo showcase and serious discussion.

Edited by Stereophilus
  • Like 2

As  @Stereophilus  says I do have bit of a passion for plants.  None in the listening space though.  The plants that mainly interest me are for outside.  Time to reconsider, I think.  My friends refer to my garden as jungle.

Whilst there has been an aspect of humour in this thread, I consider that there is a  serious side to the plant human interaction.  I come from a perspective that most or all living things have interconnections.  This includes humans who are more connected to many or most living things in the environment.  This includes the benefits that the complex attributes of plants can bring to us.

Just consider how you feel when you walk in a forest of majestic trees versus if you walk though a grassland.  If you do not feel different, I think that maybe it is time you stop and reflect.  I walked amongst some giants yesterday.  The feeling was a wow moment.  Also, trees are considerably “smarter” than most people realise.  There are many books on the topic.  Two of interest are

WOHLLEBEN, Peter. The Hidden life of trees

MANCUSO, Stefano. Brilliant green

In the context of plants in the listening space I can contemplate two matters.  The leaves of the plants and their shape, size, number and position could easily have an acoustic benefit. a bit like some soft wall hangings.  Maybe not as significant as panels or traps etc.  Everything helps.  To get a noticeable benefit you may need a reasonable number of plants strategically located.

More important though is the of the presence of the plants in the room and their potential impact on you and your overall feelings and well being.  That probably in turn can enhances your listening experience. 

There are many reports of studies that identify the benefits of having plants inside including.

• ·         Better concentration
  • ·         Less stress
  • ·         More relaxed and calm
  • ·         Higher productivity
  • ·         More humidity

John

Edited by Assisi
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Assisi said:

As  @Stereophilus  says I do have bit of a passion for plants.  None in the listening space though.  The plants that mainly interest me are for outside.  Time to reconsider, I think.  My friends refer to my garden as jungle.

Whilst there has been an aspect of humour in this thread, I consider that there is a  serious side to the plant human interaction.  I come from a perspective that most or all living things have interconnections.  This includes humans who are more connected to many or most living things in the environment.  This includes the benefits that the complex attributes of plants can bring to us.

Just consider how you feel when you walk in a forest of majestic trees versus if you walk though a grassland.  If you do not feel different, I think that maybe it is time you stop and reflect.  I walked amongst some giants yesterday.  The feeling was a wow moment.  Also, trees are considerably “smarter” than most people realise.  There are many books on the topic.  Two of interest are

WOHLLEBEN, Peter. The Hidden life of trees

MANCUSO, Stefano. Brilliant green

In the context of plants in the listening space I can contemplate two matters.  The leaves of the plants and their shape, size, number and position could easily have an acoustic benefit. a bit like some soft wall hangings.  Maybe not as significant as panels or traps etc.  Everything helps.  To get a noticeable benefit you may need a reasonable number of plants strategically located.

More important though is the of the presence of the plants in the room and their potential impact on you and your overall feelings and well being.  That probably in turn can enhances your listening experience. 

There are many reports of studies that identify the benefits of having plants inside including.

• ·         Better concentration
  • ·         Less stress
  • ·         More relaxed and calm
  • ·         Higher productivity
  • ·         More humidity

John

I'm diggin ya man... ?

Triffids have a natural absorbing nature, not to mention dispersion :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice to see a humorous thread, nothing for the S/S v Valve fanatics to get their teeth into. However plants can cause problems where dogs are concerned, on another forum someone let a friend bring his dogs into his home - bad idea because he also had dogs. The friends dogs decided that they would leave a liquid calling card on some house plants  and the man's dogs responded by pissing on both his speakers, which for best sound had the grilles removed - not a happy bunny.

On a serious note, for anyone who has full length windows which present a hard reflective surface to sound waves, big plants with big fleshy leaves can ameliorate this effect by dissipating the sound waves before they hit the glass.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Southerly said:

Nice to see a humorous thread, nothing for the S/S v Valve fanatics to get their teeth into. However plants can cause problems where dogs are concerned, on another forum someone let a friend bring his dogs into his home - bad idea because he also had dogs. The friends dogs decided that they would leave a liquid calling card on some house plants  and the man's dogs responded by pissing on both his speakers, which for best sound had the grilles removed - not a happy bunny.

On a serious note, for anyone who has full length windows which present a hard reflective surface to sound waves, big plants with big fleshy leaves can ameliorate this effect by dissipating the sound waves before they hit the glass.

Cat's piss is the worst.

Lost an expensive sound card and motherboard in the olden days when you had to leave the sides off to keep them cool.

Very corrosive stuff!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Absolutely agree about cats piss. It's far more effective than the notorious Roundup herbicide which is also expensive. If cats piss on a plant - it's dead. Years ago I bought an old sewing machine which was housed inside a lovely wooden box. I used it to stash various things for my sound system. My lovely lady felt sorry for a tom cat that was left out in the cold, he sprayed all over this lovely box - talk about an acid attack.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

20210407_134539.jpg

Taken on my phone... please ignore the wide angle distortion.

Any thoughts on optimising plant placement? 

Edited by Stereophilus
  • Like 1