Abbas Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, cccrchairman said:

I am only using with a transport. Maybe down the track I will look at other options as other members have described. 

Thanks for your reply. 

I Might have to look more closely at the Mutec for multiple inputs as a way of using transport and streamer options

25 minutes ago, Artnet said:

Thanks for your reply. 

I Might have to look more closely at the Mutec for multiple inputs as a way of using transport and streamer options

I used all 3 inputs (PC via USB, TV via fibre, and DAB+ radio via coax) though have since done away with the radio as Roon has this functionality built in for internet radio streaming.

1 hour ago, MattyW said:

I used all 3 inputs

Thanks @MattyW I was going to message you on your Mutec thread to find out, but went off on reading up on the Mutec.  With my choice of the PCM58 chip I wondered if the Abbas USB to spdif convertor might be the better (bigger warmer) option and have had clarified that 2 inputs on the 4.1 is not an option, it is a half case chassis .  I did make this decision based on immediate use that is PC USB  so might try the Abbas for now (?) and  look out for a Mutec they do sell pretty quickly.  The transport option I am working on so not so pressing for me to have 2 inputs immediately. 

On 02/04/2021 at 2:06 PM, MattyW said:

owns both his tube USB interface and a Mutec MC-3+USB

You have to try and hear what works in your system!? No easy path but an enviable position to have choice. 

• Like 1

On 03/04/2021 at 1:58 PM, MattyW said:

It may not be a particularly buyer friendly way of doing things however demand already outstrips supply so you can be the judge of its success.

Just wanted to add to this.  Abbas's  blog would indicate he is no longer accepting order request through that site, he is so busy. My understanding from his blog is that he lists on ebay what is available from month to month if you miss one month try the next, confirmed in recent emails he is accepting orders from what he lists on ebay,  "...Now we make only serial product from the foto" definitely demand outstripping supply, but he is very prompt on his emails and I can only look forward to sampling his esoteric Audio.

• Like 2

Makes sense.... His business model and product can't exactly scale up. Too many vintage parts which have to be painstakingly tracked down. The 2.3SE paired with a Mutec MC-3+USB is pretty much impossible to match for the money anyway  :)

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

On 03/04/2021 at 7:57 PM, Artnet said:

Thanks @MattyW I was going to message you on your Mutec thread to find out, but went off on reading up on the Mutec.  With my choice of the PCM58 chip I wondered if the Abbas USB to spdif convertor might be the better (bigger warmer) option and have had clarified that 2 inputs on the 4.1 is not an option, it is a half case chassis .  I did make this decision based on immediate use that is PC USB  so might try the Abbas for now (?) and  look out for a Mutec they do sell pretty quickly.  The transport option I am working on so not so pressing for me to have 2 inputs immediately. 

You have to try and hear what works in your system!? No easy path but an enviable position to have choice. 

Hi all,

I've currently got an Abbas DAC U SE (with dual PCM 63K) which I've paired with both a Mutec and with one of Abbas's USB to SPDIF convertors, and I'm waiting for my new 2.3SE to arrive - currently working its way through the Ukrainian postal system.  I think the Mutec  (just standard, I don't have an upgraded external clock like @MattyW) does have an edge over the Abbas SPDIF unit. Initially it was quite a big step up but I've been running the Abbas SPDIF for the last few weeks and as its now got about 40 or so hours on it, its really opened up. I think the most noticeable difference is the Mutec just has better detail retrieval, and a bit more weight to the instruments, but the Mutec is also over twice the price of the Abbas SPDIF unit, so I think that needs to be taken into account as well.  Certainly compared to the digione signature that I was using (SPDIF Out), switching to USB and adding the Abbas SPDIF just completely transforms the sound, according to my wife (who doesn't know what these things cost so is a bit less biased) she said the sound became much more 'live' once that was added to the chain. 

M

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Yes, I've a 50cm Abbas SPDIF cable on order also. If anything like his analog interconnects it should be really rather special.  Made in a shorter length such as 50cm made it quite a bit more affordable too. :)

The Mutec is king for those who need additional inputs, and improves further with an external clock.  I'll source a USB cable from Abbas eventually also and see how that goes.

Edited by MattyW

50 minutes ago, DrMikeOz said:

I've currently got an Abbas DAC U SE (with dual PCM 63K) which I've paired with both a Mutec and with one of Abbas's USB to SPDIF convertors, and I'm waiting for my new 2.3SE

The DAC U SE I have ordered is PCM 58K (this might make it a 4.1), I think the 63k is no longer available? Look forward to your comparison on the 2.3SE.  Whent the Abbas route for USB -SPDIF for know just to see and for cost was a factor, but when I need two inputs will go the Mutec option.  Thank you for the comparison.

22 minutes ago, MattyW said:

The Mutec is king for those who need additional inputs

Hope to get there eventually.  ?

Edited by Artnet
correcting model type

11 minutes ago, MattyW said:

I'm surprised just how many here in Australia are now running Abbas gear. Everyone seems delighted with their purchases which is always a good thing  :)

it's stopped my DAC Madness (tm) - i'm just really very happy with the way everything sounds with the Abbas gear. Maybe it reminds me of being a teenager in the 90s when these chips were more common, i don't know. But it just sounds 'right'. I wouldn't have discovered this without @MattyW's evangelism so thanks Matt!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I like what they do and I grew up with vinyl & cassette :)

Edit: but unrelated as all of my mates bar one played dirty poorly cared for media.

I couldn't say it is the same as when I had an SR-838/2M Bronze/tube phono and I didn't own a damaged or dirty record,  either.

Matts DAC just sounded right to me.

Edited by muon*
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/04/2021 at 8:03 PM, muon* said:

Main difference that stands out is Matt's 2.2SE uses the TDA1541 DAC chip and the 4.1 uses the PCM58 DAC chips I think.

Edit: Can read about the features of different DACs on that Abbas link, the 4.1 special version for instance about three quarters way down the page.

https://ym6t3zcngbqjloregzh5737kiy-jj2cvlaia66be-abbasaudio-listbb-ru.translate.goog/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=2338&sid=92abe2f3dd6aeac985de24ff9a8e26ba

I would personally run with the PCM version, if I was buying unheard. Has anyone compared the TDA and PCM BB versions side by side? 

The TDA1541 dacs I have heard tended to sound a little flat when compared to BB PCM dacs. I also noticed more grain in the mids vs Burr Brown. The TDA1541 is also more mid prominent. IME, Bur browns like the PCM56 are a little more dynamic, and cleaner sounding. Although implementation is obviously important. 

At that money there are so many options from Denafrips and Holo to consider also. The new Holo Spring 3 is an idea...
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-preview-of-holo-audio-spring-3-dac-wpreamp-prototype.22083/

R2R with an amazing measurements to boot. Plus you get a preamp option. 

Edited by Grizaudio

Suggest having a chat with @DrMikeOz who has both. I believe he's found the TDA1541 version to have the edge vs his PCM based DAC U? As always implementation is everything. Abbas DAC's are not midrange centric though rather very nicely balanced, once more due to implementation. I've certainly heard poorer TDA1541 implementations which are as you've described.  Generalisations are not terribly useful when discussing a particular DAC....

The Denafrips Ares II I've heard didn't really come even remotely close to the Abbas DAC2.2SE so really the Pontus and above really would need to step it up significantly to compete.

I daresay the Denafrips and Holo DAC's appeal to a different market segment. Specs are a little meaningless to me. I listen with my ears. :)

Edited by MattyW

2 hours ago, MattyW said:

Suggest having a chat with @DrMikeOz who has both. I believe he's found the TDA1541 version to have the edge vs his PCM based DAC U? As always implementation is everything. Abbas DAC's are not midrange centric though rather very nicely balanced, once more due to implementation. I've certainly heard poorer TDA1541 implementations which are as you've described.  Generalisations are not terribly useful when discussing a particular DAC....

The Denafrips Ares II I've heard didn't really come even remotely close to the Abbas DAC2.2SE so really the Pontus and above really would need to step it up significantly to compete.

I daresay the Denafrips and Holo DAC's appeal to a different market segment. Specs are a little meaningless to me. I listen with my ears. :)

Agree with most of what you said. ;) 

I think these things are very subjective. But I agree R2R can sound very analog and lovely. 

R2R is a great step from vinyl to digital.   

I haven't heard the Abbas which is why I was curious. 

You obviously rate the Abass highly.

Would love to hear it. 

Edited by Grizaudio

2 hours ago, MattyW said:

I've got the BB dual PCM 63K model (Day U SE) and the TD1541 model (2.3 SE) - I think the 1541 has a slight edge - a bit more weight to the instruments especially in the bass which may be due to the chip or the fact that the 2.3 SE has a tube rectifier as well - so hard to know. I can say I'm keeping both - either would make most people very happy and even having both to listen to side by side its probably mostly personal preference. I had the Holo Spring 2 Level 2 and can say its wasn't really comparable to me despite the cost being almost identical. 

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, DrMikeOz said:

I've got the BB dual PCM 63K model (Day U SE) and the TD1541 model (2.3 SE) - I think the 1541 has a slight edge - a bit more weight to the instruments especially in the bass which may be due to the chip or the fact that the 2.3 SE has a tube rectifier as well - so hard to know. I can say I'm keeping both - either would make most people very happy and even having both to listen to side by side its probably mostly personal preference. I had the Holo Spring 2 Level 2 and can say its wasn't really comparable to me despite the cost being almost identical. 

Thanks for that feedback. 

I have heard a few TDA1541a crown dacs and BB PCM, so that feedback is great. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grizaudio said:

if you ever decide to take a seaside holiday to Wollongong you're welcome to come and have a listen :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grizaudio said:

Strangely I found switching the Holland R1 for a Holland S1 in my 2.2SE was a step backwards sonically. A little more refined though at the expense of body and overall tonality. Sounded less real to my ears.

I think it's important to remember that the Abbas gear is all voiced just so around the chip so probably the reason for my experience.

Technically the TDA1541 is Multibit rather than R2R. I know there are differences though it's been some time since I read up on the subject so can't explain them 

Once my little one is a bit older I may be able to entertain the thought of visitors without getting my head bitten off. Not there yet though.  :(

Edited by MattyW

Hopefully  my 4.1SE will arrive in the next day or so, currently moving around in Aus post according to tracking. Looking forward to it. But curious to hear how  it developes with use.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, Artnet said:

Hopefully  my 4.1SE will arrive in the next day or so, currently moving around in Aus post according to tracking. Looking forward to it. But curious to hear how  it developes with use.

Looking forward to further updates on this  :)

Yep am excited.

I am curious about burn in times  from other 4.1 or Abbas DAC owners?

Excited is wanting to tube roll before its had a chance to settle in let alone arrive😊

• Like 1