Is it possible to buy better quality power sockets for your home and get them fitted by an electrician? has anyone done this?

I live in a 3 bedroom house that was built more with economy than fantastic internal wiring in mind and I was wondering if it was possible to buy high quality power sockets and have them fitted-I also have about 6 components running off a single power socket with surge board (there's only 1 socket:-( ) which can't be good has anyone else had to deal with anything like this-it all works but im running electrostatic speakers, a power amplifier and 3 others on the one source-what can I do

Not to my knowledge. It’s costs a bomb to get things OZ certified here. I wanted JPS labs in wall cable to my system as they make amazing cables and the importers said it wasn’t worth it . $20,000 to get it insurance approved. Just run a dedicated line to suit your power requirements and use power conditioning or regeneration with ever one suits your taste.

22 hours ago, Audio Adrenaline said:

which can't be good has anyone else had to deal with anything like this-it all works but im running electrostatic speakers, a power amplifier and 3 others on the one source-what can I do

The number of devices doesn't matter at all.  Just total  up the current drawn.  The total just has to be less than  10 Amps.   Does your power board have an overload trip on it?  If that isn't tripping, stop worrying.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 31/03/2021 at 2:01 PM, Audio Adrenaline said:

I live in a 3 bedroom house that was built more with economy than fantastic internal wiring in mind and I was wondering if it was possible to buy high quality power sockets and have them fitted-I also have about 6 components running off a single power socket with surge board (there's only 1 socket:-( ) which can't be good has anyone else had to deal with anything like this-it all works but im running electrostatic speakers, a power amplifier and 3 others on the one source-what can I do

It is totally fine, I have run this way for years on pretty high resolving system with just one wall outlet to feed my whole system including  a Mcintosh Mc462 450w, no issue on dynamic and sound quality issue.

the secret is buy the best feed power cable you can afford and high quality power board, there are some tips shared by Nordost folks

https://nordost.com/blog/what-is-the-most-important-cable-in-your-set-up/

I followed their advice and got very good results, lately I run new dedicated line which is a different story but the benefit of this setup remains true.BEF2F926-992F-41BF-B58F-96EB86CDCB85.thumb.png.811a325ec1452985e01bb3104c59311e.png

Edited by ikhuong
  • Like 1

I like the reply from Nordost, however their range doesn’t feature a heavy duty / heavy gauge shielded power cord to feed directly from the wall to say a PSAudio regenerator or a Shunyata Denali conditioner.

58 minutes ago, Anthony1 said:

I like the reply from Nordost, however their range doesn’t feature a heavy duty / heavy gauge shielded power cord to feed directly from the wall to say a PSAudio regenerator or a Shunyata Denali conditioner.

I see your signature to have Norodst Vahalla 2 to use as feed? this cable can do a respectable job to feed power plant with 7 solid 16awg cores.  i found heavy gauge and heavy shielding do not mean better in all cases. i used to use Furutech DPS4.1 11Awg  as a feed cable but it has been replaced by Vahalla 2 with much better bass and dynamic 

Edited by ikhuong

• 2 weeks later...

Late to party.. 

Contact a couple of electrician to come around and do a quote.. 

The Clipsal range of power points are of high quality. 

Depending on whats already on each circuit, it could be as simple as the electrician just putting a couple extra power points next the existing power point... Cost $200 tops (most of that is the cost of getting them there) 

If the job isn't too hard (no solid walls or no access to roof or under floor) a new dedicated circuit from the switchboard with as many power points the circuit can handle would be the go.  Could be as little as $500

Once you do all that, don't pull out any plugs with the switches on... Arcing can happen causing carbon build up on the connections

• Like 2

From what I've researched there are no fancy power sockets for sale in Australia.  The market is too small for them to be developed and manufactured (unlike the USA).  Chinese sockets may be compatible with Aust plugs, but they are probably not certified for use in Aust so no way of knowing if they could be dangerous.  Australian "hospital" sockets are the standard sockets with a red light to show it's turned on/off.  Best to buy Clipsal sockets - the leading brandm certified for Aust use, with a quality reputation. 

• 1 month later...

Getting an Electrician in for a quote would be the go; also get him/her to have a look at the Ground Stake set up. Mine was in an awful state (35 year old) so had a new ground stake installed and new ground connectors  installed. Not sure what reaction an Electrician would give in relation to replacing power plugs. Lots of good quality power cables pop up (eg Isotek Initium or Premier) in SNA Classifieds...might be a cheaper option. The latest range of Clipsal Power Points are excellent; I had a double power point installed and use an Isotek power Conditioner. Worth every $$$.

• Like 1

On 23/06/2021 at 9:50 PM, ikhuong said:

I see your signature to have Norodst Vahalla 2 to use as feed? this cable can do a respectable job to feed power plant with 7 solid 16awg cores.  i found heavy gauge and heavy shielding do not mean better in all cases. i used to use Furutech DPS4.1 11Awg  as a feed cable but it has been replaced by Vahalla 2 with much better bass and dynamic 

Late replying to ikhuong. Power cable of choice between wall socket and PSAudio regenerator is now the heavy duty Isotek Ascension - quite an asset to the system, bass goes deeper I certainly noticed that, and dead quiet. 

Had my elderly dedicated line from the switchboard deactivated due to some (unrelated) safety issues at the board itself; now the 'new' board is coupled with a revamped line and sockets at the music end BUT no 'dedicated' line.

Sounds just right to me--as usual.

I think the better course for me in 2021 is with upmarket power cords from the wall and a voltage regenerator.