To 8inch or 10inch on side firing woofers on tower speakers

Hi

I currently own Jamo s606  1 tweeter and 2 midrange drivers with  8 inch side firing woofers complimented by a 10 inch Jamo 300 subwoofer.

My question is should I buy a pair of Jamo s608 with 10inch side firing subs and 3 midrange drivers and 1 tweeter to compliment my 10 inch subwoofer and put the s606 with the 8 inch as surrounds?

The way I look at it is like this, I have 2 towers with 8inch side firing subs to go along with a 10 inch main subwoofer, why get another 2 towers with 10inch subwoofers when I already have a 10 inch subwoofer, wont the 8 inch side firing woofers produce a different level of bass that adds to what the 10inch subwoofer isn't producing?

To look at it differently, can the 10inch woofers on towers produce the same bass as the 8inch woofers or is there a difference with bass, I mean obviously the 10 inch will produce the deeper bass that the 8 inch cant, but can the 8inch produce sounds that the 10inch cant therefore making sense of my set up 2 8 inch woofers on towers and a 10inch sub to have a variety of different bass or would going for the 2 10 inch woofers compliment my 10inch sub better.

BTW what is the difference the 606 are rated at 130 to 210 and the 608's are rated at 150 to 240 watts long and short term power, will the 150 watts produce more bass at lower volumes, I mean how do I compare the 2, what difference does 20 watts really make can anyone please explain if it's worth going for the extra 20 watts. The only other reason I am thinking of getting the s608 is they have 3 midrange drivers vs the 2 I currently have.

To my next question, using the s606 with 2 midrange drivers and 8inch woofers as surrounds connected as bi-wire since the s606 offer 2 sets of speaker terminals, my question for this is will it provide tooooo much bass having these at the back as surrounds biwired, not to mention that I will have 2 10inch woofers in the front along with main sub and 2 8inch woofers at the back as surrounds. So far the bass is managable I am still tweaking the set up, I dont colour the speakers so all DB and bass and treble setting are set to 0, the only thing I have set is the crossover and the speaker distance, Im using THX standard 80hz for the fronts and centre.

I dont know is it worth the money to buy the s608 with  3 midrange drivers and 10inch woofers on the side vs sticking to the s606 2 midrange drivers and 8 inch woofers on the side? Should i spend the extra money will the 3 midrange be worth it with the 10inch sub?

i have side firing mains aswell ... definitely like a wider room... more expansive space... as with anything with a bit of bass capability definitely dont want them squished in corners or too close to walls I agree.

On 30/03/2021 at 8:26 PM, Deni1987 said:

I currently own Jamo s606  1 tweeter and 2 midrange drivers with  8 inch side firing woofers complimented by a 10 inch Jamo 300 subwoofer.

My question is should I buy a pair of Jamo s608 with 10inch side firing subs and 3 midrange drivers and 1 tweeter to compliment my 10 inch subwoofer and put the s606 with the 8 inch as surrounds?

I am not sure can answer the question... do you know a retailer with both ? can you have a demo ... to decide for self if worth the investment and cost to replace what have currently ? 

even if using a subwoofer ... mains help with mid bass i believe...  subwoofers are different beasts and your sub will no doubt go deeper again and hit harder down low. your mains will do its job a bit higher up in the range...

Guest Eggcup the Dafter

We probably need to know about the room and electronics, current surrounds  and the use of the system (surround music involved?), to answer these questions properly. 

My starting point would be that you are crossing over the lowest frequencies to  a sub, so the side firing drivers (which are woofers not subwoofers) being bigger would make little difference. At the very lowest frequencies you get some distortion with 8" drivers but you've possibly sent that to the sub already .

I suspect, then, that upgrading one speaker model in the same range is going to make very little difference to your setup. It's liketly to be a sidegrade in practice.  If I were you, I'd post again, with full details for your components and room size and layout. Tell us what gets played and why you are seeking to improve the system, and people will give lots of advice. I doubt that the upgrade you suggest would be among them, 

On 30/03/2021 at 8:26 PM, Deni1987 said:

Im using THX standard 80hz for the fronts and centre.

I might be mistaken but if the front L and R are crossing over at 80hz, don't think going to a 10” driver make any difference?

Guest Eggcup the Dafter
13 hours ago, reflux075 said:

I might be mistaken but if the front L and R are crossing over at 80hz, don't think going to a 10” driver make any difference?

It’s hard to tell, but there would still be some improvement assuming that the larger box and drivers are properly designed and of decent quality. There may also be more scope for a better crossover to the sub at a lower frequency.. In a HT system it may be hardly noticeable though, except with music in stereo.

I suspect that other changes would give more improvement for the same money. We don’t know enough to say what from the question though.

15 hours ago, warweary said:

Buy more and bigger woofers, if only because the economy needs your money!

Nah seriously... buy the bigger woofers if you really feel the need for more bass.

A second or bigger sub would give more bass, or at least more low bass for effects. The effect of changing the speakers would be more subtle, at least at “normal” volume.

Edited by Eggcup the Dafter
Clarification