I have my LS50 Metas running through an NAD pre/power combo.  Love the set up for the most part but on some recordings the bass can come across as a little anemic.

So I'm looking to buy a sub or two to add to the system.  I'm looking at the REL T series for its musicality although the newly announced SVS 3000 micro are also on the short list.

Since I live in an apartment, I'm not looking to recreate Spinal Tap at 11 or give my neighbours the impression that Jurassic Park has set up in the block.

I tend to listen at relatively low volume.  65 to 70 db average.

Like a lot of apartments, the "listening room" is an open plan living space, roughly 5.5m x 6.0m with a kitchen and long corridor leading off the wall that the speakers back on to.

With all of that taken into account, I'm tossing up the following options:

A pair of REL T5i/SVS 3000 micro

A single REL T7i

A pair of REL T7i 

A single REL T9i

Any advice from the SNA brains trust is most welcome.

My input (and maybe some of this is covered in Snoopy's just arrived link?):

1. having subs has got SFA to do with going loud ... only deep!
  2. why do you think that REL subs are more musical than SVS?
  3. when you introduce subs, it's a good idea to cut off the mains (standmounts, I think, in your case?) so they don't duplicate the upper frequencies of the subs.  This will also reduce the distortion which the LS50s deliver at their normal low frequencies (when not cut off).  How do you intend to do this?
  4. can you position your subs so that they are time-aligned with the LS50s?

Andy

Thanks for the input!  That article is a great help.

And yes.  I am looking to fill out the bottom end like I'm mainlining chocolate brownies and ice cream as opposed to going loud.

As for the REL vs SVS question, I have to admit I'm a sucker for bling and the REL subs, for the most part, are prettier than most of the SVS ones.

My preamp has the ability to implement a high pass filter and it has Dirac capabilities so I was hoping that would help in getting things set up right.

Positioning is always going to be a curly one.  It's a living space as well as a listening space.  Acoustic perfection will sadly need to come second to practicality.  I'll most likely be placing the subs along the same wall the speakers live on.

3 minutes ago, afausto said:

My preamp has the ability to implement a high pass filter and it has Dirac capabilities so I was hoping that would help in getting things set up right.

That will certainly help, however, if you are going to use the preamp's HP filter to feed the amp powering your LS50s ... that wouldn't fit with the REL concept of using spkr-level inputs on the subs (ie. they recommend their subs be fed from the main-spkr binding posts - not an RCA in!).

3 minutes ago, afausto said:

I'll most likely be placing the subs along the same wall the speakers live on.

That shouldn't be a problem.  :thumb:

What I was saying is ... try to get the (back of) the sub cones, the same distance away from your ears as the back of the LS50 woofers.

Andy

You do not need the HP filter if you are using Dirac Live; it will take care of things. 

Personally, I would go 2 SVS Micro 3000. From a size perspective, they fit better...

Clearly, I am learning things here.

Thanks for the advice peoples.

Those SVS 3000 Micros are pretty...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 29/03/2021 at 4:23 PM, afausto said:

I tend to listen at relatively low volume.  65 to 70 db average.

at that level a small tweak up of the bass using EQ or tone controls would suffice, and most speakers would easily handle it.

Do you really need a sub/s?...more likely a "loudness" control/button to bump up the bass at the low volumes you listen at.

cheers,

Mike