Which component is best to test power cables?

Hello All

I've got 4 very different power cables to test against each other. 
Which component is going to reveal sonic differences most effectively? Phono stage, pre or power amp? 
Secondly, should I conduct the test straight into the wall or through the Isotek filter?

Interested in your thoughts. 

Lets see if we can keep this thread on track and only offer answers to the OP's question.

I have heard stories of Nordosts reps just changing the power cord from the wall to the power-board/re-generator and achieve substantial gains. If it were to make a difference it makes sense to start at that cable.

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, kelossus said:

Lets see if we can keep this thread on track and only offer answers to the OP's question.

I have heard stories of Nordosts reps just changing the power cord from the wall to the power-board/re-generator and achieve substantial gains. If it were to make a difference it makes sense to start at that cable.

That's something I didn't think of. Keep all components on their respective cables and just swap out the power board cable. Interesting idea. 

My experiences with power cord differences suggest you should try them without the isotek filter in the system initially.  This will increase any possible differences you might hear.  Regarding equipment, in my experience the power cord to a power conditioner or power regenerator is the most important, followed by power amplifier, then pre-amp.

There are many in this forum who will tell you there can be no possible difference, but I would agree that trying them out and listening for yourself is well worth doing.

10 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

There are many in this forum who will tell you there can be no possible difference, but I would agree that trying them out and listening for yourself is well worth doing.

I was late to cable game and in particular, power cables. It was the last thing I upgraded. I replaced the standard supplied cable on my power amp with an Isotek Premier and was floored by what I heard. I went straight back to the shop a purchased several more, same day, so I’m happy to ignore the noise (pardon the pun).

That was over a year ago and I’ve since picked up some Ice Age which I’m happy with but an opportunity to try a couple of others presented itself.

Thanks for your suggestion.

My advice would be to setup the power amp off a separate wall outlet with one of your two best PCs.  The rest of your electronics should go through the Polaris.  The other of the 2 best PCs should feed the Polaris from the wall.  Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, captain.j said:

Phono stage, pre or power amp? 

Try them all, best way to learn something. :thumb:

Secondly, should I conduct the test straight into the wall or through the Isotek filter?

The general rule is yes use the filter with the exception of power amps which can sometimes lose dynamics with conditioners.

That's something I didn't think of. Keep all components on their respective cables and just swap out the power board cable. Interesting idea. 

Obviously can't hurt to try but one thing I've read is that it's the metre or so from the components power supply that is most important due to noise attenuation.

• Like 1