Could someone please shed some light on Equinox Speakers from South Australia ?

I have a cracking deal on some and with nothing online apart from 1 photo on its website I was hoping someone can advise me..

Cheers  

That photo you refer to looks like a crappy render. 

Lots of white van alarm bells tbh

Edited by sakabatou

32 minutes ago, Funkster said:

I have a cracking deal on some and with nothing online apart from 1 photo on its website I was hoping someone can advise me..

Cheers  

equinox audio ? as in below ? used to be rick in nsw... website seems to be indeed bereft of anything bar the one photo... so not sure what the to is ...

http://www.equinoxaudio.com.au

I will get some photos during the week ..there beautiful speakers and uhh...not white van speakers !

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/03/2021 at 9:20 PM, blakey72 said:

Very well designed/made speakers. I have Equinox Pluto's:

20200126_093121.thumb.jpg.189165d162187b1f7e7a557954f8bf1a.jpg

20200126_093127.thumb.jpg.24dac2a46d89681d74517fd02bfec638.jpg

20200126_093256.thumb.jpg.8c2d8384e14535ce0125e239e43c0c20.jpg

Thank you Blakey !!

Here are the models and will seal  the deal !

Front speakers Perigee
Rears Eclipse
Sub Equator 2

Appreciate your comments !

Cheers 
On 27/03/2021 at 7:55 PM, Funkster said:

Cheers  

Many apologies for my " south Australia " comment..

Just some more info I dug up

Perigee were floorstanders RRP $7000 : I think these had quite a high sensitivity around 98dB

Eclipse were small bookshelves RRP $3000

Equator obviously a sub RRP $???

Uses a Redgum amp plate modified for Rick.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Just some more info I dug up

Perigee were floorstanders RRP $7000 : I think these had quite a high sensitivity around 98dB

Eclipse were small bookshelves RRP $3000

Equator obviously a sub RRP $???

Uses a Redgum amp plate modified for Rick.

Thanks again Blakey mate !

I have scored the lot with the centre speaker for 1k !

Couple of drivers need reforming but at that price I cannot resist !

Exciting week ahead!

Iused to own a pair of Equinox Jupiters. The website is odd though, it looks to be hostung  render of the Equinox Galaxy but contains zero info. I wonder if Rick has moved onto something else.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, mondie said:

Iused to own a pair of Equinox Jupiters. The website is odd though, it looks to be hostung  render of the Equinox Galaxy but contains zero info. I wonder if Rick has moved onto something else.

I really like their sound. I'd consider a higher up pair if he was still around.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, aasza said:

that is indeed the old website ... is rick still building speakers ? as agree with mondie that current webpage does look a bit odd ?  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed the site looks done and believe Rick moved in too greener pastures..

Have Attached a photo and will upload more later..

Got to replace 5 of the wo9fer rubber surrounds ( correct terminology?)

Got the 5.1 set up for 1k..

20210501_155457.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Administrators

Equinox had a good following here on StereoNET early on, but as the brand fell away so did the fans and owners. 
Only ever heard positive things about their creations though. IIRC there was a pretty fierce competition between Aslan and Equinox back in their peak periods.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 18/04/2021 at 9:07 PM, betty boop said:

that is indeed the old website ... is rick still building speakers ? as agree with mondie that current webpage does look a bit odd ?  

Rick Stadelmaier was Equinox Audio and he operated out of the west of Sydney, originally in the Vineyard area, but I'm sure he moved his business in later years. I haven't seen any activity from Rick or the website for years. Rick was a very good loudspeaker manufacturer and certainly made an excellent product, with most of his early range of loudspeakers using Audax drivers exclusively. Rick and Peter Stein from ME did several shows together back in the early days when they were held in Jeff's Shed [MCEC] in Melbourne. I believe the relationship with ME soured many years ago and Rick was forced to change his driver compliment from Audax to predominately Visaton in later years and I don't think his business was ever quite the same following that.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 2

I think @Monkeyboihas a pair of the big Equinox floor standers. They're the ones with the curved profile, I remember

seeing them on his items list. 

On 03/05/2021 at 7:45 PM, maximus said:

I think @Monkeyboihas a pair of the big Equinox floor standers. They're the ones with the curved profile, I remember

seeing them on his items list. 

Indeed. I still have a pair of the original incarnation of the Equinox Jupiters using the Audax Aerogel drivers.  Cabinets are serial numbers 001 and 002.

An acquaintance of mine purchased a pair of Jupiters equipped with the later (not Audax) drivers.  Personally the later incarnations weren't to my preference but as with all things audio it's very much up to the individual, their room set up etc....  I do however recalling Greg waiting a very long time from the time of ordering his speakers until their final delivery. I'd heard on the grapevine at the time that waiting a very long time for orders on the larger models to be fulfilled wasn't unusual.  :(

As per @cheekyboy's comment.  Yes apparently the business relationship between Rick Stadelmaier (Equinox Audio) and Peter Stein (ME Sound) did take a turn for the worse quite some years back.  I heard a number of "stories" about the parting of their ways which I'm not prepared to repeat here.  Needless to say IMHO anything negative isn't good for the industry and in this case specifically for two Australian manufacturers which in their day were highly regarded in their respective fields of expertise.

Pictured:  my Equinox Jupiters with grill covers off and a client's ME-850 currently on the workbench getting repaired.

Cheers,

Alan R.

DSCN0265 sml-cropped.JPG

DSCN0267 sml.JPG

• Like 4
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Monkeyboi said:

As per @cheekyboy's comment.  Yes apparently the business relationship between Rick Stadelmaier (Equinox Audio) and Peter Stein (ME Sound) did take a turn for the worse quite some years back.  I heard a number of "stories" about the parting of their ways which I'm not prepared to repeat here.  Needless to say IMHO anything negative isn't good for the industry and in this case specifically for two Australian manufacturers which in their day were highly regarded in their respective fields of expertise.

DSCN0265 sml-cropped.JPG

DSCN0267 sml.JPG

Hello Allan, I agree that negative comments about either Rick or Peter do not help and I certainly did not intend to cast any aspersions on either of them. I had dealings over the years with both men, more so with Peter, but I always found them friendly and professional at those times.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Hello Allan, I agree that negative comments about either Rick or Peter do not help and I certainly did not intend to cast any aspersions on either of them. I had dealings over the years with both men, more so with Peter, but I always found them friendly and professional at those times.

Cheers,

Keith

Exactly Keith.  I have always had good and professional dealings with both of them.  :) 

I just took a quick cruise over to the Equinox Audio website.  Just a picture of Rick's latest and  largest model but alas no text, details, specifications or contact information.  :(

Peter still has ME Sound going but it's kinda on pause at the moment.  He is very difficult to contact and is working in a limited fashion.

Cheers,

Alan R.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, Monkeyboi said:

Indeed. I still have a pair of the original incarnation of the Equinox Jupiters using the Audax Aerogel drivers.  Cabinets are serial numbers 001 and 002.

An acquaintance of mine purchased a pair of Jupiters equipped with the later (not Audax) drivers.  Personally the later incarnations weren't to my preference but as with all things audio it's very much up to the individual, their room set up etc....  I do however recalling Greg waiting a very long time from the time of ordering his speakers until their final delivery. I'd heard on the grapevine at the time that waiting a very long time for orders on the larger models to be fulfilled wasn't unusual.  :(

Pictured:  my Equinox Jupiters with grill covers off and a client's ME-850 currently on the workbench getting repaired.

Cheers,

Alan R.

DSCN0265 sml-cropped.JPG

DSCN0267 sml.JPG

Don't have a photo on had myself but I have a pair of the newer Jupiter's, with the Visaton drivers. Bloody love them! powering with Redgum on Rick recommendation and loving it.

Never had the privilege of hearing a pair with the Audax drivers though.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

My Aphelions and Zenith are still going strong.

Edited by Mr_Gadget
  • Like 4
8 hours ago, Mr_Gadget said:

My Aphelions and Zenith are still going strong.

And a matching ME pre/power to boot..

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
On 06/05/2021 at 11:34 AM, Monkeyboi said:

Peter still has ME Sound going but it's kinda on pause at the moment.  He is very difficult to contact and is working in a limited fashion.

Last I heard (from Trevor), Peter had not been well - I have not had contact with him for a few years now, but always found him to be pleasant and obliging.

Our last conversation centred on him producing an ME1500 type amp but in mono-blocs - purely to reduce the weight as he was "getting too old" to lift said beasts.

If he ever produces amplifiers again, I would be interested - no, very interested.

I went out to see / listen to Rick's Jupiters when he was outside of Sydney kind of in the semi sticks sort of thing.