Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Could someone please shed some light on Equinox Speakers from South Australia ?

 I have a cracking deal on some and with nothing online apart from 1 photo on its website I was hoping someone can advise me..

 

Cheers  

Link to post
Share on other sites

That photo you refer to looks like a crappy render. 

 

Lots of white van alarm bells tbh

Edited by sakabatou
Link to post
Share on other sites


32 minutes ago, Funkster said:

Could someone please shed some light on Equinox Speakers from South Australia ?

 I have a cracking deal on some and with nothing online apart from 1 photo on its website I was hoping someone can advise me..

 

Cheers  

 

equinox audio ? as in below ? used to be rick in nsw... website seems to be indeed bereft of anything bar the one photo... so not sure what the to is ...

http://www.equinoxaudio.com.au

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will get some photos during the week ..there beautiful speakers and uhh...not white van speakers !

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • 3 weeks later...
On 28/03/2021 at 9:20 PM, blakey72 said:

Very well designed/made speakers. I have Equinox Pluto's:

20200126_093121.thumb.jpg.189165d162187b1f7e7a557954f8bf1a.jpg

20200126_093127.thumb.jpg.24dac2a46d89681d74517fd02bfec638.jpg

20200126_093256.thumb.jpg.8c2d8384e14535ce0125e239e43c0c20.jpg

 

Thank you Blakey !!

Here are the models and will seal  the deal !

 

Front speakers Perigee
Rears Eclipse
Sub Equator 2
 
Appreciate your comments !
 
Cheers 
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/03/2021 at 7:55 PM, Funkster said:

Could someone please shed some light on Equinox Speakers from South Australia ?

 I have a cracking deal on some and with nothing online apart from 1 photo on its website I was hoping someone can advise me..

 

Cheers  

Many apologies for my " south Australia " comment..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just some more info I dug up

 

Perigee were floorstanders RRP $7000 : I think these had quite a high sensitivity around 98dB

Eclipse were small bookshelves RRP $3000

Equator obviously a sub RRP $???

Uses a Redgum amp plate modified for Rick.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blakey72 said:

Just some more info I dug up

 

Perigee were floorstanders RRP $7000 : I think these had quite a high sensitivity around 98dB

Eclipse were small bookshelves RRP $3000

Equator obviously a sub RRP $???

Uses a Redgum amp plate modified for Rick.

 

 

Thanks again Blakey mate !

I have scored the lot with the centre speaker for 1k !

Couple of drivers need reforming but at that price I cannot resist !

Exciting week ahead!

Link to post
Share on other sites


Iused to own a pair of Equinox Jupiters. The website is odd though, it looks to be hostung  render of the Equinox Galaxy but contains zero info. I wonder if Rick has moved onto something else.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mondie said:

Iused to own a pair of Equinox Jupiters. The website is odd though, it looks to be hostung  render of the Equinox Galaxy but contains zero info. I wonder if Rick has moved onto something else.

I really like their sound. I'd consider a higher up pair if he was still around.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, aasza said:

that is indeed the old website ... is rick still building speakers ? as agree with mondie that current webpage does look a bit odd ?  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


  • 2 weeks later...

Agreed the site looks done and believe Rick moved in too greener pastures..

Have Attached a photo and will upload more later..

Got to replace 5 of the wo9fer rubber surrounds ( correct terminology?)

Got the 5.1 set up for 1k..

 

20210501_155457.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

Equinox had a good following here on StereoNET early on, but as the brand fell away so did the fans and owners. 
Only ever heard positive things about their creations though. IIRC there was a pretty fierce competition between Aslan and Equinox back in their peak periods.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 18/04/2021 at 9:07 PM, betty boop said:

that is indeed the old website ... is rick still building speakers ? as agree with mondie that current webpage does look a bit odd ?  

 

Rick Stadelmaier was Equinox Audio and he operated out of the west of Sydney, originally in the Vineyard area, but I'm sure he moved his business in later years. I haven't seen any activity from Rick or the website for years. Rick was a very good loudspeaker manufacturer and certainly made an excellent product, with most of his early range of loudspeakers using Audax drivers exclusively. Rick and Peter Stein from ME did several shows together back in the early days when they were held in Jeff's Shed [MCEC] in Melbourne. I believe the relationship with ME soured many years ago and Rick was forced to change his driver compliment from Audax to predominately Visaton in later years and I don't think his business was ever quite the same following that.

 

Cheers,

 

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think @Monkeyboihas a pair of the big Equinox floor standers. They're the ones with the curved profile, I remember

seeing them on his items list. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/05/2021 at 7:45 PM, maximus said:

I think @Monkeyboihas a pair of the big Equinox floor standers. They're the ones with the curved profile, I remember

seeing them on his items list. 

 

Indeed. I still have a pair of the original incarnation of the Equinox Jupiters using the Audax Aerogel drivers.  Cabinets are serial numbers 001 and 002.

 

An acquaintance of mine purchased a pair of Jupiters equipped with the later (not Audax) drivers.  Personally the later incarnations weren't to my preference but as with all things audio it's very much up to the individual, their room set up etc....  I do however recalling Greg waiting a very long time from the time of ordering his speakers until their final delivery. I'd heard on the grapevine at the time that waiting a very long time for orders on the larger models to be fulfilled wasn't unusual.  :(

 

As per @cheekyboy's comment.  Yes apparently the business relationship between Rick Stadelmaier (Equinox Audio) and Peter Stein (ME Sound) did take a turn for the worse quite some years back.  I heard a number of "stories" about the parting of their ways which I'm not prepared to repeat here.  Needless to say IMHO anything negative isn't good for the industry and in this case specifically for two Australian manufacturers which in their day were highly regarded in their respective fields of expertise.

 

Pictured:  my Equinox Jupiters with grill covers off and a client's ME-850 currently on the workbench getting repaired.

 

Cheers,

Alan R.

DSCN0265 sml-cropped.JPG

DSCN0267 sml.JPG

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Monkeyboi said:

As per @cheekyboy's comment.  Yes apparently the business relationship between Rick Stadelmaier (Equinox Audio) and Peter Stein (ME Sound) did take a turn for the worse quite some years back.  I heard a number of "stories" about the parting of their ways which I'm not prepared to repeat here.  Needless to say IMHO anything negative isn't good for the industry and in this case specifically for two Australian manufacturers which in their day were highly regarded in their respective fields of expertise.

 

DSCN0265 sml-cropped.JPG

DSCN0267 sml.JPG

 

Hello Allan, I agree that negative comments about either Rick or Peter do not help and I certainly did not intend to cast any aspersions on either of them. I had dealings over the years with both men, more so with Peter, but I always found them friendly and professional at those times.

 

Cheers,

 

Keith

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

 

Hello Allan, I agree that negative comments about either Rick or Peter do not help and I certainly did not intend to cast any aspersions on either of them. I had dealings over the years with both men, more so with Peter, but I always found them friendly and professional at those times.

 

Cheers,

 

Keith

 

Exactly Keith.  I have always had good and professional dealings with both of them.  :) 

 

I just took a quick cruise over to the Equinox Audio website.  Just a picture of Rick's latest and  largest model but alas no text, details, specifications or contact information.  :(

 

Peter still has ME Sound going but it's kinda on pause at the moment.  He is very difficult to contact and is working in a limited fashion.

 

Cheers,

Alan R.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Monkeyboi said:

 

Indeed. I still have a pair of the original incarnation of the Equinox Jupiters using the Audax Aerogel drivers.  Cabinets are serial numbers 001 and 002.

 

An acquaintance of mine purchased a pair of Jupiters equipped with the later (not Audax) drivers.  Personally the later incarnations weren't to my preference but as with all things audio it's very much up to the individual, their room set up etc....  I do however recalling Greg waiting a very long time from the time of ordering his speakers until their final delivery. I'd heard on the grapevine at the time that waiting a very long time for orders on the larger models to be fulfilled wasn't unusual.  :(

 

As per @cheekyboy's comment.  Yes apparently the business relationship between Rick Stadelmaier (Equinox Audio) and Peter Stein (ME Sound) did take a turn for the worse quite some years back.  I heard a number of "stories" about the parting of their ways which I'm not prepared to repeat here.  Needless to say IMHO anything negative isn't good for the industry and in this case specifically for two Australian manufacturers which in their day were highly regarded in their respective fields of expertise.

 

Pictured:  my Equinox Jupiters with grill covers off and a client's ME-850 currently on the workbench getting repaired.

 

Cheers,

Alan R.

DSCN0265 sml-cropped.JPG

DSCN0267 sml.JPG

Don't have a photo on had myself but I have a pair of the newer Jupiter's, with the Visaton drivers. Bloody love them! powering with Redgum on Rick recommendation and loving it.

 

Never had the privilege of hearing a pair with the Audax drivers though.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My Aphelions and Zenith are still going strong.

Edited by Mr_Gadget
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr_Gadget said:

My Aphelions and Zenith are still going strong.

And a matching ME pre/power to boot..

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 06/05/2021 at 11:34 AM, Monkeyboi said:

Peter still has ME Sound going but it's kinda on pause at the moment.  He is very difficult to contact and is working in a limited fashion.

Last I heard (from Trevor), Peter had not been well - I have not had contact with him for a few years now, but always found him to be pleasant and obliging.

 

Our last conversation centred on him producing an ME1500 type amp but in mono-blocs - purely to reduce the weight as he was "getting too old" to lift said beasts.

 

If he ever produces amplifiers again, I would be interested - no, very interested.

 

I went out to see / listen to Rick's Jupiters when he was outside of Sydney kind of in the semi sticks sort of thing.

 

Powered by ME including an ME DAC - great few hours and great sound - very friendly, affable and no pressure.

 

I think hi-fi is a hard game to be in nowadays:  How do you make a small fortune in hi-fi?? - Start with a large one......... 

 

 

Edited by Pigpen
Premature submission.......
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/05/2021 at 10:40 AM, Monkeyboi said:

Indeed. I still have a pair of the original incarnation of the Equinox Jupiters using the Audax Aerogel drivers. 

From very vague memories of the old ME website, weren't they the Audax Aerogel importer??

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Pigpen said:

From very vague memories of the old ME website, weren't they the Audax Aerogel importer??

 

They certainly were.:thumb: Was my first contact with Peter and ME back around 1999/2000 when I was buying Audax drivers from them when they were in Dyers Crossing on the mid coast of NSW.

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

 

They certainly were.:thumb: Was my first contact with Peter and ME back around 1999/2000 when I was buying Audax drivers from them when they were in Dyers Crossing on the mid coast of NSW.

It is amazing the collective history of the members here on StereoNet.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Pigpen said:

I think hi-fi is a hard game to be in nowadays:  How do you make a small fortune in hi-fi?? - Start with a large one......... 

 

Even the mainstream reputable manufacturers are feeling the pinch in a market flooded with cheap Chinese made equipment.  Whilst some of it is good (and priced at about the same price as the equivalent from the mainstream manufacturers) IMHO most of the ordinary stuff from China is garbage.  Poorly designed at the level where Japan was in the early 1960s.  Great so called "copiers" but poor innovators and engineers.

You see this a lot especially in some of their kit DIY gear.  Outrageous performance claims of designs purporting to be clones of famous brands which they aren't when you compare the real McCoy with the knock-off job.

 

It's unfortunately a sign of the times. :(  I had a conversation the other day with a professional colleague and it was his considered opinion that it wasn't worth complaining about the quality (or more precisely the lack thereof) of goods from China because in his opinion Australia will be just another Chinese colony within the next few years, citing the possibility of a major conflict in the region, China's aggression towards its neighbours and the fact Australia's resources are "ripe for the picking".   

 

Cheers,

Alan R.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Monkeyboi said:

Australia will be just another Chinese colony within the next few years, citing the possibility of a major conflict in the region, China's aggression towards its neighbours and the fact Australia's resources are "ripe for the picking".   

 

I doubt we will become a colony - China surives by the military maxim "quantity brings a quality all of its own" as its equipment quality is a times "lacking".

 

They are not genuinely battle hardened - the recent skirmish with the Indians allegedly did not go China's way.

 

Australia on the other hand has a population of around 25 million and better that 30000km of coastline - that's a lot of coastline to defend, however, for the majority of it, what do you do when you get ashore there???????

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pigpen said:

I doubt we will become a colony - China surives by the military maxim "quantity brings a quality all of its own" as its equipment quality is a times "lacking".

 

They are not genuinely battle hardened - the recent skirmish with the Indians allegedly did not go China's way.

 

Australia on the other hand has a population of around 25 million and better that 30000km of coastline - that's a lot of coastline to defend, however, for the majority of it, what do you do when you get ashore there???????

 

Well they were the words and the opinion of a colleague, not mine.

 

Whilst the Chinese may not be battle hardened they do have the numbers just as the Japanese had the numbers and the determination in WW2; and when they bombed Darwin they were considered a real threat.  Most of Australia's population and significant industry infrastructure is located in the capital cities.  25M vs 1.3B, really no contest.  

 

I have to however to agree with my colleague's opinion that ".... Australia is ripe for the picking ...." from the perspective that we have a lot that the Chinese want.  Abundant mineral and energy resources and some of the best agricultural produce on the planet unlike China that has a deficit in many of these commodities.  Whilst emperor Xi may pretend they don't want our "rubbish" wine, barley or coal, the lack of supply is hurting them big time according to friends living in China whilst the CCP waits for lesser nations to cave into their debt trap diplomacy.  Notice they haven't really pulled back on buying our iron ore that now sells for a record US$190 / tonne.  Gotta have something to built the warships and military hardware with....  Shades of Pig Iron Bob for those who can link the significance.  

 

Cheers,

Alan R.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Funkster said:

Love  the wealth of knowledge on this site...thank you all

 

20210511_194238.jpg

 

Looks good, Funkster......................are you in Kearsley near Cessnock in NSW?

 

Cheers,

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/05/2021 at 7:28 PM, cheekyboy said:

 

They certainly were.:thumb: Was my first contact with Peter and ME back around 1999/2000 when I was buying Audax drivers from them when they were in Dyers Crossing on the mid coast of NSW.

What I enjoy about the local product is the ability to quite often meet with the manufacturers themselves.

 

Of the Australian made equipment I own / have owned, I have met / spoken to / corresponded with the manufacturer directly and always received answers to any questions I have had.

 

We make a good product here in Oz, very pleased to be given the opportunity to support the local industry not because its made here but because it can hold its own against the overseas competitors.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Funkster said:

Love  the wealth of knowledge on this site...thank you all

 

20210511_194238.jpg

Wow, an equator sub. Never seen one besides what the website used to have. I remember I contemplated the Equator2 but damn they were big boxes!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...