Equinox South Australia

On 06/05/2021 at 11:34 AM, Monkeyboi said:

Peter still has ME Sound going but it's kinda on pause at the moment.  He is very difficult to contact and is working in a limited fashion.

Last I heard (from Trevor), Peter had not been well - I have not had contact with him for a few years now, but always found him to be pleasant and obliging.

Our last conversation centred on him producing an ME1500 type amp but in mono-blocs - purely to reduce the weight as he was "getting too old" to lift said beasts.

If he ever produces amplifiers again, I would be interested - no, very interested.

I went out to see / listen to Rick's Jupiters when he was outside of Sydney kind of in the semi sticks sort of thing.

Powered by ME including an ME DAC - great few hours and great sound - very friendly, affable and no pressure.

I think hi-fi is a hard game to be in nowadays:  How do you make a small fortune in hi-fi?? - Start with a large one......... 

Edited by Pigpen
Premature submission.......
  • Like 3

On 06/05/2021 at 10:40 AM, Monkeyboi said:

Indeed. I still have a pair of the original incarnation of the Equinox Jupiters using the Audax Aerogel drivers. 

From very vague memories of the old ME website, weren't they the Audax Aerogel importer??

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pigpen said:

From very vague memories of the old ME website, weren't they the Audax Aerogel importer??

They certainly were.:thumb: Was my first contact with Peter and ME back around 1999/2000 when I was buying Audax drivers from them when they were in Dyers Crossing on the mid coast of NSW.

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

They certainly were.:thumb: Was my first contact with Peter and ME back around 1999/2000 when I was buying Audax drivers from them when they were in Dyers Crossing on the mid coast of NSW.

It is amazing the collective history of the members here on StereoNet.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Pigpen said:

I think hi-fi is a hard game to be in nowadays:  How do you make a small fortune in hi-fi?? - Start with a large one......... 

Even the mainstream reputable manufacturers are feeling the pinch in a market flooded with cheap Chinese made equipment.  Whilst some of it is good (and priced at about the same price as the equivalent from the mainstream manufacturers) IMHO most of the ordinary stuff from China is garbage.  Poorly designed at the level where Japan was in the early 1960s.  Great so called "copiers" but poor innovators and engineers.

You see this a lot especially in some of their kit DIY gear.  Outrageous performance claims of designs purporting to be clones of famous brands which they aren't when you compare the real McCoy with the knock-off job.

It's unfortunately a sign of the times. :(  I had a conversation the other day with a professional colleague and it was his considered opinion that it wasn't worth complaining about the quality (or more precisely the lack thereof) of goods from China because in his opinion Australia will be just another Chinese colony within the next few years, citing the possibility of a major conflict in the region, China's aggression towards its neighbours and the fact Australia's resources are "ripe for the picking".   

Cheers,

Alan R.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Monkeyboi said:

Australia will be just another Chinese colony within the next few years, citing the possibility of a major conflict in the region, China's aggression towards its neighbours and the fact Australia's resources are "ripe for the picking".   

I doubt we will become a colony - China surives by the military maxim "quantity brings a quality all of its own" as its equipment quality is a times "lacking".

They are not genuinely battle hardened - the recent skirmish with the Indians allegedly did not go China's way.

Australia on the other hand has a population of around 25 million and better that 30000km of coastline - that's a lot of coastline to defend, however, for the majority of it, what do you do when you get ashore there???????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pigpen said:

I doubt we will become a colony - China surives by the military maxim "quantity brings a quality all of its own" as its equipment quality is a times "lacking".

They are not genuinely battle hardened - the recent skirmish with the Indians allegedly did not go China's way.

Australia on the other hand has a population of around 25 million and better that 30000km of coastline - that's a lot of coastline to defend, however, for the majority of it, what do you do when you get ashore there???????

Well they were the words and the opinion of a colleague, not mine.

Whilst the Chinese may not be battle hardened they do have the numbers just as the Japanese had the numbers and the determination in WW2; and when they bombed Darwin they were considered a real threat.  Most of Australia's population and significant industry infrastructure is located in the capital cities.  25M vs 1.3B, really no contest.  

I have to however to agree with my colleague's opinion that ".... Australia is ripe for the picking ...." from the perspective that we have a lot that the Chinese want.  Abundant mineral and energy resources and some of the best agricultural produce on the planet unlike China that has a deficit in many of these commodities.  Whilst emperor Xi may pretend they don't want our "rubbish" wine, barley or coal, the lack of supply is hurting them big time according to friends living in China whilst the CCP waits for lesser nations to cave into their debt trap diplomacy.  Notice they haven't really pulled back on buying our iron ore that now sells for a record US$190 / tonne.  Gotta have something to built the warships and military hardware with....  Shades of Pig Iron Bob for those who can link the significance.  

Cheers,

Alan R.

• Like 4

On 08/05/2021 at 7:28 PM, cheekyboy said:

What I enjoy about the local product is the ability to quite often meet with the manufacturers themselves.

Of the Australian made equipment I own / have owned, I have met / spoken to / corresponded with the manufacturer directly and always received answers to any questions I have had.

We make a good product here in Oz, very pleased to be given the opportunity to support the local industry not because its made here but because it can hold its own against the overseas competitors.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Funkster said:

Love  the wealth of knowledge on this site...thank you all

20210511_194238.jpg

Wow, an equator sub. Never seen one besides what the website used to have. I remember I contemplated the Equator2 but damn they were big boxes!

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, kroozzy said:

here you go guys

a little late to the convo, better late than never 🙂 

i have the Equinox Apogees - s/n 003

so im guessing the 3rd set to be made

20220923_003112(1).thumb.jpg.e4aa465c7c5962645e646776a85783df.jpg

Stunning - more pics pls - side on profile of one if you can? Any specs on these - height depth width and weight - would love to better understand scale they look massive😁🙏

• Like 1

Was reading this whole thread and like other just loved the collective knowledge - someone quickly write the book on aus hifi history before too many more of you old buggers disappear 😂 

@Zaphod Beeblebrox I’m assuming the stein/audax link mentioned in this thread was the genesis of the stein/dunlavey meetings/connection which I was not aware of?

just thought of the title of the book!

Sounds About Right! - the history of audio (stereo/hifi/madness) manufacturing and retail in Australia 

not sure if you would do by geography/era/manufacturing category or simply profile the icons/ jewels and characters -  niche market perhaps but I bet there would be some great stories to tell 

ps I bags writing the chapter on Edward in SA and Bill and his legion of cable followers 😅 - @Marc please don’t ban me 🙏

Edited by Andythiing
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Andythiing said:

Was reading this whole thread and like other just loved the collective knowledge - someone quickly write the book on aus hifi history before too many more of you old buggers disappear 😂 

@Zaphod Beeblebrox I’m assuming the stein/audax link mentioned in this thread was the genesis of the stein/dunlavey meetings/connection which I was not aware of?

just thought of the title of the book!

Sounds About Right! - the history of audio (stereo/hifi/madness) manufacturing and retail in Australia 

not sure if you would do by geography/era/manufacturing category or simply profile the icons/ jewels and characters -  niche market perhaps but I bet there would be some great stories to tell 

ps I bags writing the chapter on Edward in SA and Bill and his legion of cable followers 😅 - @Marc please don’t ban me 🙏

Hello Andy, it would have been around 1999/2000 at the HiFi Show at the MCEC [Jeff's Shed] and it was the first time I'd met Rick. He was sharing a couple of rooms with Peter Stein [ME] and Rick was telling everyone who came into the room that if they could carry one of his large flagship loudspeakers to the carpark, they could have them. He told me and the couple of mates I was with the same thing too, but later in the day when we returned to the room, he admitted to me that he was a little worried straight after he'd said it, because he must have thought I was big and ugly enough to actually do it!😀

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's my rough recollection of events:

Peter Stein negotiated a deal with Audax to distribute the product in Australia, as the previous importer was almost impossible to deal with. Audax was distributed under ME's subsidiary company called ME Technologies, until Audax was sold to Harman International, when the agreement was terminated (by Audax).

John Dunlavy was a different matter entirely. Sometime in the late 1980s (or very early 1990s) I had been communicating with John about various matters. One of those was my suggestion that he should audition an ME1500 power amp. Eventually, John relented and allowed me to freight an ME1500 to his factory.

When Peter and I drove to Adelaide to collect the amp (so it could be exhibited at a Melbourne show), John expressed a desire that we should leave the amp. His words went roughly like this (in a Texan drawl):

"Well, y'all gotta a problem. That amp (ME1500) ain't going anywhere."

Hell of an office he had. Big, nicely damped and a pair of Sovereigns to listen to.

I'll check with Peter on his recollection of events.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Here's my rough recollection of events:

Peter Stein negotiated a deal with Audax to distribute the product in Australia, as the previous importer was almost impossible to deal with. Audax was distributed under ME's subsidiary company called ME Technologies, until Audax was sold to Harman International, when the agreement was terminated (by Audax).

John Dunlavy was a different matter entirely. Sometime in the late 1980s (or very early 1990s) I had been communicating with John about various matters. One of those was my suggestion that he should audition an ME1500 power amp. Eventually, John relented and allowed me to freight an ME1500 to his factory.

When Peter and I drove to Adelaide to collect the amp (so it could be exhibited at a Melbourne show), John expressed a desire that we should leave the amp. His words went roughly like this (in a Texan drawl):

"Well, y'all gotta a problem. That amp (ME1500) ain't going anywhere."

Hell of an office he had. Big, nicely damped and a pair of Sovereigns to listen to.

I'll check with Peter on his recollection of events.

So he "permanently borrowed" the amp ?? 

• Haha 1