• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was disappointed that the programmers saw fit to bury the first episode late in the evening, even if it was a repeat episode. I found the history as it was revealed to be both enormously emotional a

If this thread keeps going, and if I can add to the topics broached, there probably would be a books worth of material.😄 I don't really have much else to do for entertainment since the cancer hit

It was part two you watched tonight.   I had watched the trailers for it over the last few weeks, as I knew quite a bit about what went down, and the players involve in the arson [It was ars

38 minutes ago, thethrowback said:

If you can supply several more chapters @Tweaky there should be enough for a good book. I do enjoy reading your recollections.

That's ironic because the heroin trade in Australia blossomed as result of our government agreeing to a request in July 1967 to allow American servicemen serving in Vietnam to spend their R & R in Sydney.

Kings Cross was a popular destination for these servicemen and a lot of money was made supplying them with drugs, sex and entertainment. The drugs came from South East Asia through crime syndicates in collaboration with members of the Nugan Hand Bank and the C.I.A. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nugan_Hand_Bank

From what I know, criminal gangs in the Vietnamese community started to get involved with the heroin trade in the late 1980s.

If this thread keeps going, and if I can add to the topics broached, there probably would be a books worth of material.😄

I don't really have much else to do for entertainment since the cancer hit me, as I'm sort of house bound due to two tumors on my hip that make it hard to get out and about, apart from that I'm doing OK.

Here is a bit of a run down on me, and my history, and probably my philosophy on life......sorry in advance, I'm bored, plus I've run out of Pernod

Posting it this thread has been therapeutic for me, and TBH I've been wondering what else I could reveal, but I need to be careful, as a lot of what I know, if not from personal experience, has been told to me under confidence, and could possibly have legal repercussions, sort of, but not exactly like the Lawyer X situation in Melbourne, although I myself, am not in the legal profession.

But over the years, incredible as it might seem [It's incredible to me in retrospect] have gotten to know and meet US presidents, Australian prime ministers, state premiers, attorney generals, judges, and a lot of barristers/ QC's

I suppose it's my ability to feel comfortable, and to be able to talk at a almost equal level, with a vast range of people that has allowed me to be introduced to a lot of people way outside my social standing.

They are all just other humans after all.

Even the crooks.

My father was a career soldier, and I had been around the world 3 times before I was 10, went to around 15 different schools buy the time I finally left school, and consequently found the other kids my age and above quite boring, and un world-wise [ I got put 2 years ahead at my last school before I left, but still found it boring, and sort of ended up your classic under achiever as a result ]

I've always been interested in people, and how they interact with each other, which probably comes from having to fit in quickly when finding myself in a new school, and occasionally  country, every few years.

I was at one stage slated to go to the Duke of York military school in Devon [Boarding], which would have put me as the same year as prince Andrew went there, and then probably onto Sandhurst if my father had his way, but I took one look at the list of classes, especially the sports ones, and took it upon myself to sneakily dispose of the enrollment application before my parents could send it off for processing, which after searching for it, gave up as we soon moved again.

All the sports were basically based on beating the **** out of each other, wrestling, boxing, fencing, rugby union etc, I thought I'm not going to be stuck overseas and having to deal with that crap, especially after seeing the effect it had on my older brother, who found himself stuck in that position, and is still effected by it psychologically to this day.

Classic victim of the English Boarding School system.

My brother is a great sports person, he got scouted to play for Tottenham Hotspurs, but my father refuse to allow him to go, saying there is no money in Football son....good call Dad, NOT!

My brother never forgave him for that.

We were stationed in Singapore at one time, and it's there that my much older sister met here future husband, who was a Major in military intelligence, ended up a colonel, and then a complete A hole as a arms salesman when he left the army......... I have good reason to believe he was in charge of the troops in Derry, that fired on the civilians on Bloody Sunday...but that goes into a whole other range of things I know about, and TBH would rather not talk about, in case anybody is thinking of asking.

The thing is, when my sister got married to this prick, he had asked my father to look after his papers while they were away on their honeymoon.

Me being the ever inquisitive kid, found them.

Among the papers were military intelligence training manuals, and I absolutely loved reading them [Secretly], and devoured the information they contained.

I was never a comic reading or fantasy novel kid, I'd rather pick up a volume of the Encyclopedia Britannica or PEARS cyclopaedia, and read that in bed, far more interesting....well until I found these manuals.

When I look back, it seems that unconsciously at least, I've always used the information in those manuals to either gather information, or making myself invisible enough to be able to find out about things......remaining a to be assumed as somewhat inconsequential, or a person of no threat, but still find a common ground to hold a conversation is the key.

Also how to handle yourself when in a uncomfortable situation.

It's all about observation..... which ran into a several volumes of the training manuals, but noticing things others haven't is something that I found comes naturally to me for some reason.

Mannerisms in particular, they give a lot away about a person

I suppose it's my inquisitive nature, and my genuine interest in people in general, and the reasons in why they do the things that they do [My all time biggest interest], is why I've been able to mingle between a vast array of people, from gangsters to presidents......yes I have met a US president, Bush senior when he visited Australia.

I had to be vetted by both ASIO and the US secret service to meet him, which I didn't know I was going to do in the first place........that was funny in itself, as you are not told about it happening, but I noticed being followed at the time, as the agents stuck out like dogs balls, they were so out of place with everybody around the places I frequented, namely the Manzil room at Kings cross.

Bush had a handshake like Mr Burns from the Simpsons, and was a pasty white as well.

A bit of a upgrade though, however disappointing, from Abe saffron I think you'd agree 🙂

Sorry if you found this read boring, I'll post again with something more relevant to what we have been talking about previously....I'm sure I can remember another one for you.

So many to choose from 🙂

• Like 4

Another interesting instalment, thanks @Tweaky.

This discussion has prompted me to do some research and I am amazed how many times the Bourbon & Beefsteak gets a mention.

https://australianfoodtimeline.com.au/beefsteak-bourbon/ states:

"The Bourbon & Beefsteak opened in 1967 and was operated by Bernie Houghton, a Texan who had served in the US Military and had shady connections both to organised crime figures and the CIA."

The dots start to connect.

I also read this in a Wikipedia article: "By 1905, there were many laws in place which prohibited the import and use of smoking grade opium; however, by the 1930s, Australia had the developed world's highest per capita rate of heroin consumption."

If that is correct, then it seems Australia had a taste for smack 30 years before the Yanks arrived.

Edited by thethrowback
58 minutes ago, thethrowback said:

Another interesting instalment, thanks @Tweaky.

This discussion has prompted me to do some research and I am amazed how many times the Bourbon & Beefsteak gets a mention.

https://australianfoodtimeline.com.au/beefsteak-bourbon/ states:

"The Bourbon & Beefsteak opened in 1967 and was operated by Bernie Houghton, a Texan who had served in the US Military and had shady connections both to organised crime figures and the CIA."

The dots start to connect.

Bernie Houghton was a pretty nice guy actually, despite what one might read about him.

As for being a CIA operative......I'm not so sure about that, he had a very close American friend that also lived in Australia that IMHO might of been considered closer to the mark.

This friend [Shortish Blond guy who wore specs - reminded me of the singer Paul Williams ] used to drive a Blue Cadillac, which was a beast and hard to maneuver around the tight streets of Sydney

I remember Bernie having a NTSC Video recorder at the Bourbon hooked up to the TV's near Joe's bar at the rear of the place, and that this friend used to bring in tapes of the American Football games incredibly quickly after they were played, and they both used to sit there and watch them.

Bernie not only owned the Bourbon & Beefstake, he owned Tex's Tavern as well, which was down the road from the Bourbon.

Both establishments became well known places for  both Australian and US soldiers on R&R in Australia to frequent during the Vietnam war.

It was in part that those soldiers used to pin their regalia and foreign money on the walls of those establishments, that gave them a certain charm.

Many a US Vet upon visiting Australia again years later have visited the Bourbon to reminisce , if not add to the wall.....sadly that all went after Bernie died and the place got remodeled.

Contrary to popular belief, it was actually US servicemen that has found themselves hooked on Heroin whilst serving in Vietnam that started bringing it into Australia.

It was easy for them to do at the time, as checks on military planes coming into Australia weren't looking for drugs, they were looking more for armaments making it into the country and sold on to crime syndicates.

Easy money with little chance of being caught.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

On 02/04/2021 at 4:27 AM, Tweaky said:

Bernie Houghton was a pretty nice guy

I don't doubt it but I'm guessing his business model involved more than just serving drinks and hot meals to US servicemen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Houghton

Good to hear your perspective on the subject.

Edited by thethrowback
On 02/04/2021 at 2:30 PM, thethrowback said:

I don't doubt it but I'm guessing his business model involved more than just serving drinks and hot meals to US servicemen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Houghton

Good to hear your perspective on the subject.

TBH I don't have first hand knowledge of CIA involvement, nor have I ever really had any interest in that shady world of double dealing, far too complicated to make hide or hair of IMHO unless you are employed by ASIO or the like, and directly involved in doing just that......but then the CIA and ASIO are on the same side apparently.

I'm guessing there must of been some sort of impunity going on at the time, certainly during the Vietnam war at least.

I only know about the guy in the Blue Cadillac because I saw my mate who worked at the Bourbon getting into the passenger seat of it as I walked by one day, I asked what's doing, and he said the ice machine at the Bourbon had gone south and they were off to get some bags of ice.

It's only in conversation much much later, after the story broke about the CIA involvement, that his theory on who the actual CIA agent might of been.

If I was still in contact with this mate I'd ask him more about it, but he got a Green Card and moved to the USA 30+ years ago and I lost touch.

There were a few strange goings on back then, sort of like the emigration program to Australia during the 60's called "The Big Brother Movement", in which young British men were enticed to come out to Australia.

A abnormally large percentage of them found themselves conscripted to go fight in Vietnam.......Why that happened I have no idea, since officially the UK had no involvement in the Vietnam war

There was a journalistic investigation on that at least 10 if not 20 years ago, but I can't remember if it ever found out who was behind it [Must of been either the UK or Australian governments, or both in cahoots] or the investigation ever going anywhere, it all sort of fizzled out.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

get some bags of ice

I assume it was the type that keeps your drinks cold!

16 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

The Big Brother Movement

I'd never heard of the Big Brother Movement but it has a website: https://www.bbm.asn.au/big-brother-movement/

Edited by thethrowback

GOOD, or maybe not, on a emotional sense for the families involved.

I read about that as well, but I doubt anything other than a new Coroners inquest will come about from it though.

Too much corruption carrying on [ Politicy  ] to the current day.....on both major party sides.

The major players have now moved into a more legitimate [Not properly regulated ] way of making money.........Insurance........All the dodgy players from the banking industry switched to this as well....the BONUS chasers.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1