FS: Yaqin MS 12B Tube Line/Phono Preamplifier

Item Condition: As New In Box
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is included in price.
Suburb or Town: Melbourne
State: VIC
Payment Method: Paypal, EFT, Cash on Pickup
Reason for selling: NLR

The Yaqin MS-12B is one of the rare objects in the DIY community to have reached “cult” status.

In fact such is its extraordinary price to performance ratio and subjective quality of sound that it can easily challenge far more expensive preamps.

Not only is it remarkably well built with high quality parts throughout, but it truly is a musical and 'sound expanding device' which introduces additional dimension, presence and richness via both its line level and phono input selectable source inputs.

Extremely well received for it's excellent phono stage, it additionally incorporates a volume control (with a pleasantly tangible & finely stepped attenuator) and has dual pairs of RCA outputs, with one pair being a lower gain which can be of additional benefit when driving sensitive amplifier input stages directly, or even used to facilitate drive of a second amplifier as the case may be when bi-amping.

There was however one issue in the original circuit design, only detected by the more technically adept... that being an incorrect value component for the 12AU7 tubes supply, which potentially could shorten their lifespan and could additionally result in varying degrees of hum subject to the specific tubes employed.

Most purchasers and even reviewers were oblivious to the above fact, and mistakenly thought that the circuit was intrinsically susceptible to noise !

The unit for sale here however has been comprehensively tested and the errant component correctly replaced by a professional local technician to ensure operation at precisely the optimum voltage, such that the unit for sale performs faultlessly and silently on our local 240V mains power ?

Unit has very low hours of use and is being sold effectively as new (and improved!) complete with factory box.

A fantastic means to add a dollop of thermionic richness to any system without excessive softening or addition of noise one would typically expect from lower (and often much-much higher !) cost tube preamps.

The following review expounds upon the positive attributes gleaned from the addition of the MS-12B to an already well sorted system:

https://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/review-yaqin-ms-12b-stereo-tube-preamplifier-and-phono-stage/

"As we began to listen to Bolero, my first impression was that the Yaqin presented a very realistic stage. The full spread of the orchestra was presented in a wide and deep relief. It painted a very accurate image. I was able to immerse myself into each section of the orchestra, and truly appreciate the timbres of the oboes as they danced with the clarinets. The brass section was also entrancing. The harmonics of the trumpets were superb. The attack and decay of their notes were faithfully reproduced. 

As the tempo and rhythm of the Bolero increased, the phono section never ceased to render the music’s macro dynamics and subtle details. The percussion section, notably the kettle drums that underpin the score, were never falsely overblown. After the piece reached its thunderous climax, my friend and I looked at each other and nodded. Indeed, the Yaqin MS-12B had met the challenge that the Well-Tempered Turntable presented it with. The only electro-mechanical noise that I was able to detect was the barely noticeable hiss of the Roksan’s Gyger II stylus as it travelled between tracks on the album."

"During that afternoon’s listening session with my friend, he asked me to plug in my Mytek DAC into the Yaqin’s CD/DVD input. After listening to a few songs through it, I asked if I should re-plug the DAC directly back into the integrated amplifier. His reply was no. Let’s leave it plugged into the Yaqin MS12-B.

I spent a great deal of time testing the CD/DVD input, and yes, it does add positive aspects do the listening experience."

Tube compliment: 12AX7 × 2 and 12AU7 × 2;

Output voltages: dual outputs of either 0.25V or 0.7V;

Output jacks: two channels two group gold plated RCA jacks;

Input sensitivity: preamplifier ≤0.25V, phono stage ≤5mV;      

Inputs: one CD/DVD jack, and one moving magnet phono jack;

Harmonic distortion: preamplifier ≤0.25%, phono stage ≤0.5%;

Frequency response of preamplifier is 15Hz to 100kHz @-2.0dB;

Signal-to-Noise Ratio: CD/DVD >75dB (input voltage of 0.5V, and output voltage of 0.7V @1kHz); Phono Input >65dB (input voltage of 10 millivolts, and output voltage of 0.7V @1kHz);

Phono stage suitability: moving magnet;

Weight: 3.0kg;

Dimensions : 17cm(W) x 38cm(D) x 16cm(H).

Yaoin-1.thumb.jpg.3e67896dbf50e2a2c361d11edb5d2fea.jpg
Photos:

Yaoin-2.jpg

Yaoin-3.jpg

Yaoin-4.jpg

Edited by coolhand
?