That Old Question Again - Beginner Setup Recommendations

Firstly thank you to everyone on this forum - I've been cross referencing various parts of kit through the forums to see what the quality/consensus is. But it's time to ask for some specific advice. 

It's the old what should I buy question. 

The basics -

I have a few albums I'd like to play again sitting in the cupboard, and would like to add those pivotal life albums to the vinyl collection over time. So it's time to get a turntable system. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have set a budget of around $600-700 for the whole caboodle (and am fighting myself hard to stick to it!) - turntable, amp, speakers. 

I don't need world leading sound, just decent enjoyable quality. Mostly rock/grunge based music. 

Not against new but my house/furniture is all mid century and second hand so some of the vintage gear would just slot right in...and hate to say it I'd like to visually as well as audibly enjoy my gear.  (I do love the timber clad stuff ??‍♂️)

So to the crux of the question......any recommendations of what to look for, avoid, recently seen deals etc? I'm located near the Gold Coast so if there's anything nearby all the better

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hello there.........tough budget there to get in speakers, amp & TT for $600-700, but if you can stretch a bit, have a look at the below options

For amplifiers that include phono (required for TT) & DAC

For speakers, tough to beat this one for the price

Over your budget at around $1000, and we haven't got to the TT yet.

The amplifier is worth buying at $400 with built in phono pre. Maybe on the speakers you can wait around to find another deal around the $400 mark. Some basic vintage TT can be had for around $200-300 (nothing on SNA at the moment), but do come up once in a while.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VinylRookie said:

Firstly thank you to everyone on this forum - I've been cross referencing various parts of kit through the forums to see what the quality/consensus is. But it's time to ask for some specific advice. 

It's the old what should I buy question. 

The basics -

I have a few albums I'd like to play again sitting in the cupboard, and would like to add those pivotal life albums to the vinyl collection over time. So it's time to get a turntable system. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have set a budget of around $600-700 for the whole caboodle (and am fighting myself hard to stick to it!) - turntable, amp, speakers. 

I don't need world leading sound, just decent enjoyable quality. Mostly rock/grunge based music. 

Not against new but my house/furniture is all mid century and second hand so some of the vintage gear would just slot right in...and hate to say it I'd like to visually as well as audibly enjoy my gear.  (I do love the timber clad stuff ??‍♂️)

So to the crux of the question......any recommendations of what to look for, avoid, recently seen deals etc? I'm located near the Gold Coast so if there's anything nearby all the better

Any advice greatly appreciated.

These are a bargain

Please view this ad:

Rogers LS6a speakers,

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/port-macquarie/speakers/rogers-ls6a-speakers/1270807979?utm_source=copylink&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=android_VIP_sticky

Price: $350

Download the application from the Google Play Store.

https://tinyurl.com/n4b7djy

Find an early 80s NAD integrated. 3155 or similar. Judicious negotiating should leave a couple of hundred for something like a simple Pioneer belt drive from the 70s. Not an easy task but can be done. 

15 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

this is probably not very helpful but you’d be better off sitting on a chair. 

You listen your way, I'll listen mine! ?

Great acoustics in the cupboard.....that little 7 watt amp I saw will be plenty in there. 

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

These are a bargain

Please view this ad:

Rogers LS6a speakers,

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/port-macquarie/speakers/rogers-ls6a-speakers/1270807979?utm_source=copylink&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=android_VIP_sticky

Find an early 80s NAD integrated. 3155 or similar. Judicious negotiating should leave a couple of hundred for something like a simple Pioneer belt drive from the 70s. Not an easy task but can be done. 

A touch far but I'll see what shipping could be arranged.....

But there's a company I'd not heard of....so will keep a look out for

35 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

These are a bargain

Please view this ad:

Rogers LS6a speakers,

A touch far but I'll see what shipping could be arranged.....

But there's a company I'd not heard of....so will keep a look out for

Depending how long you are willing to wait in Gumtree and here but lookout for something  along the lines of NAD 3020 / 325bee or Rotel 820/960 amps $100-200, Krix Lyrix floor, Spendor Prelude, Kef speakers $200-300 and a cheap turntable of some sort. A Yamaha and similar complete system set also.

Edited by Al.M
  • Thanks 1

You have limited budget therefore 
you need to be patient, take your time. It can be done.

Recently I got vintage  NAD for $250 and castle speakers for 250. 
My budget was much bigger than yours but I was just curious and willing to take some risk. There is some risk in buying cheap old audio but might be worth it.

I am really happy with my system, not because it was cheap but because I truly enjoy listening to it.

15 hours ago, bolek said:

You have limited budget therefore 
you need to be patient, take your time. It can be done.

Recently I got vintage  NAD for $250 and castle speakers for 250. 
My budget was much bigger than yours but I was just curious and willing to take some risk. There is some risk in buying cheap old audio but might be worth it.

I am really happy with my system, not because it was cheap but because I truly enjoy listening to it.

I'm understanding the budget is on the low side but too many hobbies/kids/ex wives to currently stretch it too far....?

Yamaha YP D71 and Rotel RA 612...... currently asking $640 locally with free indeterminate speakers. Any opinions on these?