Bluetooth speakers, are any capable?

I noticed that @Megawolf raised this topic a while back and received no response but I’ll persist with a twist in that I have no budget limit.

My Klipsch Gig died and so far I’ve purchased a KEF Muo which to me just doesn’t sound right for any music, then a Bose Soundlink Mini 2 which is fine playing clean pop, say the B52’s but the soggy bottom end simply muddies everything else.  Yes I tried an equaliser app but as we know, equalisers can’t cure any points of poor performance, rather they just let you turn that bit down. 

So I’m wondering, have any of you found a portable battery powered Bluetooth speaker you consider worth listening to ? 

6 hours ago, Sonichifi said:

Bosé andan muy bien , bueno pero también es cosa de gustos 

Si tienes la posibilidad de probar algunos y así tomar una decisión. 

Disculpa para la próxima escribo en inglés

Hi Mauricio

Yes Bose are said to be ok and maybe it is a matter of taste.

Some say the Bose gives a full rich sound but to me it just smooths everything over from about 1kHz down. 

Yes I should listen before I buy but as the sole carer of my wife who has brain cancer, I am unable to spend time at hifi stores so I purchase via the internet. 

Do you have a preferred Bluetooth speaker ?

Cheers

10 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

How big? Needs to be battery powered?

Good point, the Bose is the smallest 18x6x5 cm but I’m happy to go larger but not the B&W Zeppelin size. Yeah battery powered is a must so I can plonk it anywhere.

Cheers

3 hours ago, Ratbob said:

Which one Rob? They sure have a big range.

Well no bluetooth speaker is going to compare with a pair of quality home speakers, though JBL Charge4 sound ok for what they are, or JBL Boombox2 if you have a higher budget and require more volume and bass.

My kids have 2X Charge4's and when they link them up as stereo with the JBL App they sound pretty good.

Edited by rob
spelling

28 minutes ago, rob said:

Well no bluetooth speaker is going to compare with a pair of quality home speakers, though JBL Charge4 sound ok for what they are, or JBL Boombox2 if you have a higher budget and require more volume and bass.

My kids have 2X Charge4's and when they link them up as stereo with the JBL App they sound pretty good.

Thanks Rob, I’m not looking for high volume nor bass, and I have no “high fidelity” expectations, just a balanced sound which the old Klipsch Gig did quite well.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll look into the Charge 4. Cheers

Bueno si no buscas hifi ,pero si comodidad y conectividad puede ser un Amazon Echo dot 3 ,aunque no tengo un Bosé preferido los Soundlink mini ll andaría muy parecido al Klipsch que ya tenías , también los Harman kardon Onyx studio 5 serían la luz para rato pero ahí ya talves está fuera de tu presupuesto.

PD .se me hace difícil responder en inglés ?

47 minutes ago, Sonichifi said:

Harman kardon Onyx studio 5

Hola, Espanol es bueno ?

Thanks, I did not think of HK. The Onyx looks big but it’s only AUD$350 so not expensive. 

Salud

9 minutes ago, Ratbob said:

Hola, Espanol es bueno <font style=?">

Gracias, no pensé en HK. El Onyx parece grande, pero solo cuesta AUD $ 350, por lo que no es caro. 

Salud

Ese sí lo escuché suena muy bien a volumen moderado ,acá en Chile cuesta $160000 CLP  si alguien lo tiene y lo puede llevar para que lo escuches sería ideal .

Suerte en tu búsqueda y sigue cuidando a tu esposa ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ratbob said:

Hola, Espanol es bueno ?

Thanks, I did not think of HK. The Onyx looks big but it’s only AUD$350 so not expensive. 

Salud

I'm also using the Onyx 4 and the Aura Studio 2... the latter looks nice and sounds nice too...

I have > 20 BT speakers haha.. 

I haven't listened to any for a while so out of touch with newer models

The Cambridge models were always better and cheaper than Bose. If I had known about them earlier I wouldn't own Bose. Might be worth reading up on what their long term reliability is like. I will look for a Cambridge G5 when my Bose dies 

• Thanks 1

On 21/03/2021 at 10:48 PM, Ratbob said:

So I’m wondering, have any of you found a portable battery powered Bluetooth speaker you consider worth listening to ? 

I really enjoy listenting to my JBL Boombox Version 1, there I said it. ?

Compared to most others they're big and heavy.

They might be too big for you but I'd be shocked if you can't enjoy one.

They can easily fill a room with sound.

Version two is what is available now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Satanica said:

I really enjoy listenting to my JBL Boombox Version 1, there I said it. ?

Haha, Yeah not the best name, guess it beats ghetto blaster.

It is a biggun though but thanks for the tip, hopefully my local Harvey’s will have one. Cheers

10 hours ago, petetherock said:

I have > 20 BT speakers haha..

Crickey, I admire your dedication to the format, might follow your lead and just keep buying till I hit a goodun. ?

Thanks for the tips. Cheers

23 hours ago, rob said:

I have a JBL charge 3  which I use in our caravan and find it quite good.  It is a little bass heavy, but eq can fix that.  The great thing about the 'charge' models is the huge battery.  Never seem to go flat.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Ratbob said:

Haha, Yeah not the best name, guess it beats ghetto blaster.

It is a biggun though but thanks for the tip, hopefully my local Harvey’s will have one. Cheers

Just remember that bluetooth speakers are just like HiFi speakers in that room acoustics play a very significant part.
So in general the further away from boundaries the better they will sound.

42 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Just remember that bluetooth speakers are just like HiFi speakers in that room acoustics play a very significant part.
So in general the further away from boundaries the better they will sound.

The ability to take them outside into the open air helps in this regard :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ratbob said:

Crickey, I admire your dedication to the format, might follow your lead and just keep buying till I hit a goodun. ?

Thanks for the tips. Cheers

This might help:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/03/choosing-bluetooth-speaker.html?m=1

If portability isnt imperative, I’ll suggest giving the Bose home speaker 500 a twirl

i use it daily 

I’ve got the 300 too for some light listening in my bathroom and I’ve used the older 10 but l like the airplay option 

• Thanks 1

I have a sonos move that I use as a portable, it's Bluetooth and WiFi. 

It doesn't sound to bad for what it is. The top mic is supposed to modify the the sound based off room or no room acoustics. 

I liked it for its IP rating. 

I have found that Bluetooth can be an issue to select if no WiFi present, but the workaround was to hot spot from phone and trick it. 

• Thanks 1

I've got a B&O A2 which has a really good sound (but less than stellar battery life) and I've read good thing about the B&O P6. My son has a JBL Charge he swears by. It's not bad at all and comparatively cheap.

I did have a Bose Soundlink mini many years ago which, while not bad, was not in the same league as the A2 that I eventually replaced it with. Also heard very good things about the Dali Katch but not seen one for sale for a while.

• Thanks 1