I have PGC (Pioneer glitch confusion)

Hi everyone,

I have just joined in the hopes of getting some sage advice on a good amp/receiver to purchase second hand in order to limit my spend to under $200-$300 and maybe for some advice with what I should do next in trying to repair my current amp.

Why is  my hdmi red light blinking even though I don’t have any hdmi inputs plugged in?

My current Pioneer VSX-828 has just come up with a problem, the hdmi Led blinks and unit cant be turned on.

Ive been down a youtube wormhole today and discovered that i could reset this and be able to turn unit back on by physically resetting a eeprom? On the right hand board inside the unit by shorting two of its legs.

Great!

But thats without any inputs or outputs connected!

Until I then turned it back on after connecting only the seven speakers (not including the woofer) and finding the red hdmi light blinking again and not being able to turn on the unit again.

Any advice on where to look for fixing this problem would be great!

Also, the unit is getting a bit old now so anything on a good secondhand brand/model, maybe with the capabillity to stream music and video via bluetooth from phone, eg; netflix and spotify etc would be great!

Regards 

Ray

Problem now sorted!

After leaving unit powered off overnight and then doing the eeprom leg reset and then turning power off and on again and then clearing the error codes and doing a factory reset.

I then plugged in each speaker one at a time to try and find if a particular channel was the prob.

Turning unit on and off with the addition of each speaker.

Problem didn’t return.

Kept turning off unit and adding each output and input separately trying to find what was tripping the receiver.

All inputs and outputs were eventually connected and still no problem evident.

Then went through each source and output separately and they all worked no problem.

Receivers been working great again now for last day!

I can only guess that on the night I got home to find the hdmi red light blinking a drop of water may have got into the end of the hdmi cord I had left floating around at the back of the receiver when I disconnected a previous input device months earlier.

We had a storm with a fair bit of rain earlier that day and window was left open a bit.

Hope this helps someone else who may get a similar problem in the future 

Ok here is how to physically reset the chip when your hdmi light is blinking and your Pioneer VSX receiver is not

Hope it helps

• Like 1