What is the order of importance of things which can get in the way of your listening enjoyment?

I thought "The Great Audio Debate" section was the most appropriate place for my question - given I expect it will get radically different responses.  :)

I was prompted to post because I've:

• listened to quite a few people's systems in the last 6 months or so, and
  • recently made a significant amp change in my own (active) system.

It seems to me that everyone probably has different issues that spoil their listening.  For me, I would say - in order of most annoying first:

1. 'listener fatigue' - by which I mean there's a hard edge to the music coming from the speakers which means, after a short while ... you simply don't want to keep listening.  :(  The cause is varied - it could be a metal tweeter ... it could be an amp which emphasises odd-order harmonics ... as well as other things.
  2. hum from the speakers.  Due to, essentially, earthing problems in the system as a whole.
  3. noise from components - such as fan noise or transformer hum.
  4. a high noise floor - typically due to a crap power supply ... or insufficent shielding.
  5. sibilance - aah, but is this in the recording ... or is your system creating/emphasising it?  xD
  6. lack of soundstage depth (soundstage width is easy!).
  7. congestion - ie. a lack of clarity in the musical lines going on.

So ... what are others' issues.  "Tone" might be one, for instance, that is super-important to some people?

Andy

• Like 5

I spent the last year eliminating hum, hiss, buzzing etc by focussing on cleaning up my power. I found those issues to be the most grating for me, since I often listen quietly in the background and only really wind it up when I know the neighbors are out.

Warped records are awful though. Thankfully I haven't had a new record arrive warped for years.

I do see a lot of modern popular music pressings cut just off center, which annoys the crap out of me. 

Whatever is impossible to ignore easily--especially background hum/buzz/dirty power issues. I think the listener fatigue item would rapidly lead to a change in system components or configuration, wouldn't it?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, anandpkumar said:

Let me add a factor that is oft ignored - our current mood. Depending upon my mood, I have loved some albums or been ambivalent to it - same room, same system.

OK ... how about a 2nd answer to my Qu if you assume you are in a 'beneficial' mood?

What annoys you, then?

Andy

Up until a while ago I would say inconsistency in source material especially in how much bass content varies between recordings.

This recording does not have enough bass...

This recording has the right amount of bass...

This recording has too much bass...

So what to do?

And to make the matter even more complicated my system is a dual purpose Music and HT system.

Well on my main digital processor I now have four profiles and they all get some use.

Flat

2dB Bass Gain (Harman based)

4dB Bass Gain (Harman based)

6dB Bass Gain (Harman based)

Tone controls ?!?!?

Edited by Satanica
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, andyr said:

I thought "The Great Audio Debate" section was the most appropriate place for my question - given I expect it will get radically different responses.  :)

It seems to me that everyone probably has different issues that spoil their listening.  For me, I would say - in order of most annoying first:

1. 'listener fatigue' - by which I mean there's a hard edge to the music coming from the speakers which means, after a short while ... you simply don't want to keep listening.  :(  The cause is varied - it could be a metal tweeter ... it could be an amp which emphasises odd-order harmonics ... as well as other things.
  2. hum from the speakers.  Due to, essentially, earthing problems in the system as a whole.
  4. a high noise floor - typically due to a crap power supply ... or insufficent shielding.
  5. sibilance - aah, but is this in the recording ... or is your system creating/emphasising it?  xD

So ... what are others' issues.  "Tone" might be one, for instance, that is super-important to some people?

Andy

Shouldn't Stereonet be added to that list? :) 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Up until a while ago I would say inconsistency in source material especially in how much bass content varies between recordings.

This recording does not have enough bass...

This recording has the right amount of bass...

This recording has too much bass...

So what to do?

And to make the matter even more complicated my system is a dual purpose Music and HT system.

Well on my main digital processor I now have four profiles and they all get some use.

Flat

2dB Bass Gain (Harman based)

4dB Bass Gain (Harman based)

6dB Bass Gain (Harman based)

I purposely put the level control for my bass way down low in the rack.  The effort to get up, walk over, and bend down to adjust it (then go back and listen, then go over and tweak it again, etc...  is just too much, so I just put up with it as it is  :)  

2 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I purposely put the level control for my bass way down low in the rack.  The effort to get up, walk over, and bend down to adjust it (then go back and listen, then go over and tweak it again, etc...  is just too much, so I just put up with it as it is  :)  

Ha, fair enough. 

I should add that all four profiles are remote control changeable. 

On 19/03/2021 at 5:19 PM, anandpkumar said:

Let me add a factor that is oft ignored - our current mood. Depending upon my mood, I have loved some albums or been ambivalent to it - same room, same system.

This !!!

I can play something one day and absolutely love it. Excited by the experience, play it all the same the following day and hate it. Unless it’s air temperature/moisture or power feed related then it has to be mental/mood.

Same thing happens with my electric guitar amps.

Edited by JC.
  • Like 4

I like to avoid interruptions, and I prefer to do my critical listening deep into the night..

When the noise floor truly drops to almost nothing, and my equipment sounds even better. Even a basic mp3 recording will sound sweeter.

No one walking past, no messages on my phone and just a little cup of soup, my stereo and my music... 

My idea of quiet time..

• Like 5
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, petetherock said:

No one walking past, no messages on my phone and just a little cup of soup,

Oh, that brings back memories. Many years ago, “back in the old country” I used to love a cup of late night soup. I may have to pick up this habit again, after all, winter is coming.

What are you having, I suppose something light? I might start with a nice miso. Is there a soup thread on SNA already? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s either a light tomato, or if I’m going to be listening for hours, I’ll have a bigger and thicker cream of leek along some Table Eight crackers... cheese doesn’t agree with me at that hour..

somewhere along the way, I’ll have to play ‘Nightshift’.. it’s a ritual...

• Like 3

Sibilance (looking at YOU Rod Stewart Greatest Hits repress !!) - LOL 

Brand new records that arrive warped

Brand new records that arrive with scuffs/scratches/marks and then you have to pay attention to see if it affects playback instead of enjoying the music

Current mood really does come into play too - I find listening to albums on a Saturday afternoon for example is not as nice as listening late at night.

For some reason music sounds better late evening..............

is it because of atmosphere? Mood? more relaxed not sure - but just something I have really noticed.

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 6

On 19/03/2021 at 5:18 PM, andyr said:

Andy

You must have good ears if you can discern all those issues. I guess I have wood ears as I don't notice too much about the audio quality itself lacking. I mean, my system is far from perfect, but there are only a few minor aspects I'd like improved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steffen said:

Oh, that brings back memories. Many years ago, “back in the old country” I used to love a cup of late night soup. I may have to pick up this habit again, after all, winter is coming.

What are you having, I suppose something light? I might start with a nice miso. Is there a soup thread on SNA already? :)

Haha, I don't like soup, so normally don't eat it, but have had it many times recently. I had a difficult tooth extraction (dodgy dentist I reckon) which resulted in dry socket and I'm still in some pain over a month later, hence a lot of soup as even the softer solid foods were painful to eat.

In that time I haven't made my own. I've had potato and leek (love!) and the heinz winter vegetable is a good, hearty one. Very peppery though, which I usually like, but I think it's overkill in that. Also had creamy chicken and mushroom, which is quite good considering I normally dislike mushroom flavoured soups and sauces, even though I like mushrooms... campbells cream of chicken, and asparagus and celery... hmm maybe I do like soup afterall lol. Well it's the best time of the year for them now also, with it getting cooler.

I bought a whole chook to roast, then make stock from the bones the other day. Going to make a creamy broccoli soup since it's not one I've seen in shops, and tastes pretty good/is healthy. Love a french onion soup from scratch too.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

You must have good ears if you can discern all those issues. I guess I have wood ears as I don't notice too much about the audio quality itself lacking. I mean, my system is far from perfect, but there are only a few minor aspects I'd like improved.

It's hard to believe such a comment is being posted on the same forum where people say they can't live without the massive improvements a $1000 ethernet cable (allegedly) provides...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I fortunately do not have any of the issues in the original list, but one that I do have, and may I possibly add it to the list, is the wife shouting from the other room - "would you turn the volume down?! I am trying to sleep here!"

• Like 2