Preamp suggestion, not bright 2nd hand <$1000

Afternoon

After some brand suggestions for preamps (doesn’t need phono)

Current Myryad MI120 setup with MA240, but want to upgrade to a preamp

love the Myryad  sound and would like a MP100, but hard to find at the right price

what other brands do people suggest? Hard to search on audio that’s 20years old

thinking of Brands like Arcam, really don’t like audiolab/tag mclaren (too bright)

any other brand suggestions that I can add to my search list on the second hand market?

The best advice I can give you,if you really enjoy music ,  is to accept that your source component has your best chance of hearing audio as it can possibly occur.

By all means try and improve your source component, but knowing about consumer line level which is the output that exits the RCA pins of your source, will permit you to hear what that component is doing, by not adding or detracting.   

For consumer audio source equipment the figures are here. If you wish to have minimal change to the source audio quality then

it suggests simply attenuating for volume purpose, is all that is needed.   Your power amp should have similar level sensitivity

as shown as  0.375mv RMS  in this power amplifiers data.

If on the other hand you think you can randomly insert circuitry in between your source and power amp, and at the same time it magically does not to detract or change the source audio, ...you would be on to something , we should all perhaps know about.  There though is just one example of this, it is borrowed from what the recording industry has been doing since 1965 ... but is slightly complicated.

Screenshot from 2021-02-17 16-16-39.png

Screenshot from 2021-02-19 12-50-30.png

13 minutes ago, stereo coffee said:

The best advice I can give you,if you really enjoy music ,  is to accept that your source component has your best chance of hearing audio as it can possibly occur.

By all means try and improve your source component, but knowing about consumer line level which is the output that exits the RCA pins of your source, will permit you to hear what that component is doing, by not adding or detracting.   

For consumer audio source equipment the figures are here. If you wish to have minimal change to the source audio quality then

it suggests simply attenuating for volume purpose, is all that is needed.   Your power amp should have similar level sensitivity

as shown as  0.375mv RMS  in this power amplifiers data.

If on the other hand you think you can randomly insert circuitry in between your source and power amp, and at the same time it magically does not to detract or change the source audio, ...you would be on to something , we should all perhaps know about.  There though is just one example of this, it is borrowed from what the recording industry has been doing since 1965 ... but is slightly complicated.

Screenshot from 2021-02-17 16-16-39.png

Screenshot from 2021-02-19 12-50-30.png

cheers

10 minutes ago, Al.M said:

Here’s a list and Stereo Coffees preamp is highly recommended, not bright at all very transparent https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/325588-sna-amplifiers-and-preamps-audition-shortlist/

Other older options are Audio a Research Ls7, Conrad Johnson etc.

Cheers

think my thinking is stuck in the analogue age. Probably end up running my source straight into a dsp with gain control and experiment with that. Been a while since I looked at all this stuff ?

thanx for everyone’s input

On 19/03/2021 at 1:20 PM, ctguru said:

Forgot to say, probably changing MA240 to an Elektra power amp that I just got second hand

Then why not buy the complementary Elektra "Pnyx" tube preamp.  @buddyevmay have one for sale soon.  :)

I suggest it will make the Elektra sound better than just running it straight into a DSP unit which has gain control.

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, andyr said:

Then why not buy the complementary Elektra "Pnyx" tube preamp.  @buddyevmay have one for sale soon.  :)

I suggest it will make the Elektra sound better than just running it straight into a DSP unit which has gain control.

Andy

Not for a $1000, @andyr. Maybe the previous version.

• Like 1

A used tube preamp such as the one below will complement your existing system very nicely. You can roll the tubes to dial in your preferred listening tastes. ?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tube-Valve-Audio-Preamplifier-Huge-Detail-And-Sound-Stage-Symphony-Plus-/303924992060

Review available here:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/anybody-own-audio-experience-symphonies

Edited by xlr8or

A Croft micro 25 brand new from the builder can be yours for 700 pounds.  Simply a great valve preamp that does everything well for a very low cost, includes a MM phono stage which may be excess to your requirements. For only 400 pounds you can have the Micro 25 basic. Not one I have listened to but Croft build great preamps at extremely low cost verses sound quality. It may well change your listening enjoyment in a very positive way. A valve pre into a solid state power amp can be an absolute revelation.

http://www.croftacoustics.co.uk/micro25.html

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

A Croft micro 25 brand new from the builder can be yours for 700 pounds.  Simply a great valve preamp that does everything well for a very low cost, includes a MM phono stage which may be excess to your requirements. For only 400 pounds you can have the Micro 25 basic. Not one I have listened to but Croft build great preamps at extremely low cost verses sound quality. It may well change your listening enjoyment in a very positive way. A valve pre into a solid state power amp can be an absolute revelation.

http://www.croftacoustics.co.uk/micro25.html

Here is a used one:

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/CROFT-MICRO-25-VALVE-AMPLIFIER/124646110746

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 1

I have been using an Eastern Electric Mini Max pre for some time now and have really enjoyed it.  They typically go for < $A1000 but aren't that common down here.  It is a few years old - but is widely viewed as a bit of a giant killer.  It is a valve jobby, so it is a bit like me, warm but not too bright .....

Edited by Mutatis Mutandis