spdif to USB converter (such a thing)

Im trying to bypass my digital input / reclocker's spdif input. As the Oppo 105 only outputs audio via spdif / optical so i trying to find a spdif to usb converter. there seems to be no such thing.

if that is the case how to get around this issue?

thanks

I purchased a USB to spdif converter from Greg Osborne, can’t see why it wouldn’t work in either direction, might be worth asking him the question.

cheers,

Terry

Edited by TerryO

They are almost without exception NOT bidirectional unfortunately. However MiniDSP make the most affordable one I could find and it works fine, though doesn't support 192 kHz (but everything below it.) I have one and can confirm it works fine.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box

26 minutes ago, genkifd said:

So to get spdif / coax converted to USB you need 2 boxes?

No I didn't say that. You asked two different questions.

Edited by Ittaku

1 minute ago, genkifd said:

Reason is that my digital reclocker box spdif and coax is the same connection. I think. 

Anyway i need minimum 24/196

Unfortunately that comes at much greater cost to convert to USB. Only the Mutec interfaces I'm aware will do coax and/or optical in and USB out at that rate. They cost about a grand.

7 minutes ago, genkifd said:

Awesome but $1k wow. thanks guys i will look into it.

The MC3+USB is actually closer to $1,750. There are lower models with less features but the MC3+USB does the lot. It either internally reclocks the signal, or can use the Mutec REF10 as an external clock. It has every input you could want, and lets you spit the signal out in whatever output you choose (including USB). It caters for pretty much every format as well (PCM/DSD). The swiss army knife of reclockers. I've spoken with quite a few from the pro audio space that are wowed by its performance and find it great value at it's price. Although in your application you may find it a little exxy :)

33 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

The MC3+USB is actually closer to $1,750. There are lower models with less features but the MC3+USB does the lot. It either internally reclocks the signal, or can use the Mutec REF10 as an external clock. It has every input you could want, and lets you spit the signal out in whatever output you choose (including USB). It caters for pretty much every format as well (PCM/DSD). The swiss army knife of reclockers. I've spoken with quite a few from the pro audio space that are wowed by its performance and find it great value at it's price. Although in your application you may find it a little exxy :)

That said, its reclocking is precisely useless when you're going from spdif to USB so it is serious overkill to use it in the reverse direction.

• Volunteer
6 hours ago, Ittaku said:

They are almost without exception NOT bidirectional unfortunately. However MiniDSP make the most affordable one I could find and it works fine, though doesn't support 192 kHz (but everything below it.) I have one and can confirm it works fine.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box

You sure it doesn't do 192 kHz?

The manual states:

The Stereo firmware supports two input channels and two output channels at 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz. The input channels are received on the optical input as TOSLINK and made available to the computer over USB.

7 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

You sure it doesn't do 192 kHz?

The manual states:

The Stereo firmware supports two input channels and two output channels at 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz. The input channels are received on the optical input as TOSLINK and made available to the computer over USB.

Quite sure, as I have one and went digging into the specs when it wouldn't work at 192. It only works at 192 USB to toslink, but not the other way around.

image.png.675e4fdc22dc882cfd0c6951e8dd56cb.png

• Like 1

Current design but only 96khz https://hifimediy.com/product/hifime-ur23-spdif-optical-to-usb-converter/

If I am reading the spec's right this can convert from optical to USB at 192khz https://hifimediy.com/product/hifime-uh1-384khz-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier-and-i2sdsd-interface/

Edited by deepthought

20 hours ago, Ittaku said:

That said, its reclocking is precisely useless when you're going from spdif to USB so it is serious overkill to use it in the reverse direction.

@IttakuDo you mean reclocking is useless in this particular application, or the MC3+USB doesn't reclock when going from spdif to usb?

1 minute ago, wikeeboy said:

@IttakuDo you mean reclocking is useless in this particular application, or the MC3+USB doesn't reclock when going from spdif to usb?

I mean reclocking is useless. The clock is designed to fix jitter of the spdif signal which has completely different timing to USB, and USB timing is separate and asynchronous from spdif so its timing all gets lost when to usb. Note it may provide different advantages in terms of ground loop isolation and preventing noise down the usb signal, but the timing component is the main reason for having an expensive reclocker.

• Like 1