DC Blocker

kukynas

not quite correct,  the neutral line is direct to output (not thru any diodes)

The common point of the diodes in the neutral are only connected to one cap and the resistor

also with a 1 meg resistor tying the negative legs of the caps together

Edited by Leinster Lad

• 2 weeks later...

7 hours ago, Leinster Lad said:

? so when the original diodes and caps were sighted right here that they were probs inadequate, ie, diodes rated at 3 amps would be too small.  Caps were too small and not high enough ESR.

Should I not have bothered?

If you were pulling more than 3A, then the original diodes would be inadequate IMHO and IME most likely to fail prematurely.

Nothing wrong with using large value capacitors with a lower ESR.  Firstly they will have a lower loss and dissipation and the Nichicons are a good choice, and secondly they will most likely last longer than the "no name" types.  

The point of the whole exercise is does the unit effectively block any d.c. content present on the mains? 

IME, most Chinese designed devices have overly inflated specifications and at best achieve about 50% of whatever they are rated at.  With this board sporting its original components, a claim of 10A continuous current delivery using 3A diodes is overly optimistic.

Cheers,

Alan

Been holding my tongue on this one.

But since it involves mains electricity, I'll add my 2 cents worth.

I'm with Alan on this. The schematic (as drawn) is NQR for a proper dc blocking arrangement.

Power up at your own risk, but don't expect the function to be up to par with other units, even with the up-rated components.

You may also find that those caps may not last the distance either because of their placement in the circuit.

Good luck Leinster Lad.

• Like 1