Hi all - Upgrading my home theatre

34 minutes ago, SalesLogs said:

Thanks DubbyMcDubs. I didn't know that.

I thought about in wall options, but I heard you pay a lot more  for equivalent sound due to them not being boxed.

Bipoles  are okay for Atmos. I have 2 pairs of Mission bipoles in my setup for side and rear surrounds.

Dipoles are not recommended as they are deliberately out of phase in an effort to simulate effects. 

The Krix inwall speakers do have a cover/shielding but obviously it is often difficult/impractical/impossible for in wall or ceiling speakers to match the volume of external speakers.

However, achieving good sound is more than just speaker size.
For instance, Dolby now recommend matching speakers for all positions. This is quite different from when many of us originally setup up our HT solutions.  Or those of us who merge 2 channel and HT duties. 

Guest niterida
36 minutes ago, kiwimeat said:

Bipoles  are okay for Atmos. I have 2 pairs of Mission bipoles in my setup for side and rear surrounds.

Dipoles are not recommended as they are deliberately out of phase in an effort to simulate effects. 

The Krix inwall speakers do have a cover/shielding but obviously it is often difficult/impractical/impossible for in wall or ceiling speakers to match the volume of external speakers.

However, achieving good sound is more than just speaker size.
For instance, Dolby now recommend matching speakers for all positions. This is quite different from when many of us originally setup up our HT solutions.  Or those of us who merge 2 channel and HT duties. 

I tried bipoles and they were ok but I wouldn't recommend them.

They may work but direct radiating speakers will be better.

1 hour ago, niterida said:

I tried bipoles and they were ok but I wouldn't recommend them.

They may work but direct radiating speakers will be better.

But for those with existing investments in speakers, technology and infrastructure (aka the HT room), this is frequently not an option or even desirable in some cases. There can also be other factors (WAF) involved outside of those.

I've been happy with performance of my Mission speakers including the bipoles and don't plan to change. 

Also Dolby's own position on bipoles has evolved and changed. Some of their team were among the biggest advocates of bipoles. That may have changed as their technology has evolved. 

I'm happy with my evolving setup and the planned improvements that are in progress now.
I have focused on other areas including screen (going from 1080p to 4K and BIGGER), processing (Atmos, 11.2 Flagship AVR), source (UB9000) and Atmos ceiling speakers. 

This is the most significant update to my HT since it was build over 12 years ago. But it is not a complete reworking for reasons of budget, desire and value for money. 

Edited by kiwimeat
clarification

3 hours ago, SalesLogs said:

Thanks DubbyMcDubs. I didn't know that.

I thought about in wall options, but I heard you pay a lot more  for equivalent sound due to them not being boxed.

this is not really true. For the same input power you will gain an additional 6db headroom for speakers in wall or in a baffle wall because of the 2pi configuration. 

You also get less diffraction and boundary interference. 

Edited by DubbyMcDubs