can I use older speakers for surrounds?

Looking to add two back surround channels. Have b&w in the front would like some in the back.

have seen some second hand 684 for $930 a pair. Would they work well as surround speakers or should I just get some small satellites?

Guest niterida

contrary to popular opinion your surrounds should actually be identical to your mains - so the closer you can get to identical the better it will be.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/03/2021 at 11:00 PM, niterida said:

contrary to popular opinion your surrounds should actually be identical to your mains - so the closer you can get to identical the better it will be.

I'm with this, if the mains and surrounds can reproduce the same frequency range you will get a "fuller" surround sound, who says you can't have bass in your surrounds. 

Look at it like this, crossover setting for the mains can be lower than the standard THX recommendations depending on the speakers,  whereas the surrounds and centre speaker usually  can't be lower than a certain frequency because they will become muddled by the extra bass they have to deal with, which they can't as in a lot of cases they have smaller drivers. If you are one of those lucky enough to have the same drivers for the centre then the crossover frequencies will be the same, which means more uniform sound, that's it, uniform sound.

35 minutes ago, Deni1987 said:

I'm with this, if the mains and surrounds can reproduce the same frequency range you will get a "fuller" surround sound, who says you can't have bass in your surrounds. 

Look at it like this, crossover setting for the mains can be lower than the standard THX recommendations depending on the speakers,  whereas the surrounds and centre speaker usually  can't be lower than a certain frequency because they will become muddled by the extra bass they have to deal with, which they can't as in a lot of cases they have smaller drivers. If you are one of those lucky enough to have the same drivers for the centre then the crossover frequencies will be the same, which means more uniform sound, that's it, uniform sound.

It is not frequency range matching that matters, nor setting crossovers etc.   Ideally, all speakers should be timbre matched (they sound the same).  In the ideal world, get the same brand and series speakers, but often that is not possible.  Next best is matching the front speakers, and matching the surrounds.  Otherwise, you can only timbre match with the different speakers side by side.

If you listen to multi channel music, the differences are most apparent when using mismatched speakers.  It is less so with movies but it is there if you look for it.  To some extent, using room correction software like Dirac Live, will reduce timbre differences.

To answer your original question, nothing wrong with using older  speakers as long as their sound is close enough to your other speakers.

• Like 3

Yes. 

And you can change the size or frequency range settings if you need too in the amp. 

And also the orientation of the speakers. The directivity or throw may not always balance well. I've previously tuned this by pointing at the rear wall instead of at the seating position etc... 

• 2 weeks later...

Snoop has given some good advice. I'm in a situation where my front left and right are KEF R700 (extremely good), while the rear surrounds are Audio Pro Avanto tower speakers. The KEF is much higher audio quality, but the Audio Pro have 8" woofers and give deeper bass. Theoretically, they are not timbre matched at all, but bizarrely, it seems to work.