Vibration absorbing adhesive mat from Bunnings

Anyone tried this?  I found it today in Bunnings. It's a high density stiff rubber foam. Comes in a couple of thicknesses.   I think it will make a good absorbing layer, maybe under a butcher's clock or marble slab.  Could also be cut, and maybe stacked into smaller pods.

01097350-4a89-4c5c-8a73-b8010461fc45.JPG

https://www.bunnings.com.au/moroday-400-x-500-x-12mm-adhesive-rubber-mat_p4000016

• Like 1

Unless you're trying to save small change why not just use sorbethane and be done with it.

• Sorbothane® has the lowest G-force response controlling shock over time compared to materials like neoprene or butyl rubber.
  • It has low transmissibility (amplification) at resonance to better control vibration over other elastomers.
  • It decelerates parts and reduces peak forces to absorb impact during sudden stops with minimal sway space.
  • It absorbs 80% of impact force with proper dynamic deflections.
  • It performs within frequencies from 10 to 30,000 Hert

Everything else is just second best IMHO.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, PicoWattson said:

Unless you're trying to save small change why not just use sorbethane and be done with it.

• Sorbothane® has the lowest G-force response controlling shock over time compared to materials like neoprene or butyl rubber.
  • It has low transmissibility (amplification) at resonance to better control vibration over other elastomers.
  • It decelerates parts and reduces peak forces to absorb impact during sudden stops with minimal sway space.
  • It absorbs 80% of impact force with proper dynamic deflections.
  • It performs within frequencies from 10 to 30,000 Hert

Everything else is just second best IMHO.

Plus, it is well specified and can be properly dimensioned for the task at hand:

https://www.sorbothane.com/design-guide-calculators.aspx

You won’t find that with random/generic rubber products.

As he said. I've been using it for 20 years and in that time compared it with my own DIY layered composites comprised of linatex (95% pure rubber), polyurethane, silicone and latex. Subjected them to vibration testing using expensive piezo vibration meters I had access to when involved in mining plus subjective listening when I had better hearing ? and I always came back to sorbethane. Depending on how much you need PM me and I'll give you some.

Edited by PicoWattson
expanding answer
  • Like 1

Remember those half round balls of sorbethane that were popular in the 90s' I have loads of them. I stopped using them under CDPs and phono stages because I was sure they were introducing minor tremors/vibration simply because of the lack of real weight of those types of equipment.  However for heavyweight gear they will be fine. When I lived in Spain I bought very cheaply 20mm polished slabs for use under my Kenwood t/ts. My rack has Soundcare feet but I think that 6-8 of them might dissipate any remaining vibrations  reaching the t/t shelf.

Picowattson - that's what I call a very good science based input to the thread. I would love to have such science based input for signal transmission in inter-connects, re. percentages of signal transfer and integrity.

2 minutes ago, Southerly said:

Remember those half round balls of sorbethane that were popular in the 90s' I have loads of them. I stopped using them under CDPs and phono stages because I was sure they were introducing minor tremors/vibration simply because of the lack of real weight of those types of equipment.

Yep, under-loading of elastic polymers can make matters worse. That’s why I feel a bit jittery when people recommend Whites pads for use under relatively lightweight equipment. These pads are quite hard and require a lot of loading to be effective against vibrations.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Anyone tried this?  I found it today in Bunnings. It's a high density stiff rubber foam. Comes in a couple of thicknesses.   I think it will make a good absorbing layer, maybe under a butcher's clock or marble slab.  Could also be cut, and maybe stacked into smaller pods.

01097350-4a89-4c5c-8a73-b8010461fc45.JPG

https://www.bunnings.com.au/moroday-400-x-500-x-12mm-adhesive-rubber-mat_p4000016

I need to address feedback on my turntable so will give this a go and let you know the outcome

18 hours ago, Steffen said:

Yep, under-loading of elastic polymers can make matters worse. That’s why I feel a bit jittery when people recommend Whites pads for use under relatively lightweight equipment. These pads are quite hard and require a lot of loading to be effective against vibrations.

Is that from experimentation? or a lead on from that they are marketed for under washing machines?

BTW, they are **** under front loading washing machines and with them the machine will do a Tango and The Twist the same time :lol: I and others here discovered this.

Edit: they do come in different densities.

Edited by muon*

6 minutes ago, muon* said:

BTW, they are **** under front loading washing machines and with them the machine will do a Tango and The Twist the same time :lol: I and others here discovered this.

Yet they work perfectly to stop my bread making machine walking off the bench and onto the floor :)  -- and it's relatively light - lighter than a turntable.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Steffen said:

Cutting them into thinner strips or smaller squares helps. It increases the load by reducing the area to which the turntable weight is applied.   I made strips that go all around under the edges of one of turntables.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aussievintage said:

Cutting them into thinner strips or smaller squares helps. It increases the load by reducing the area to which the turntable weight is applied.   I made strips that go all around under the edges of one of turntables.

I cut them into smaller squares where it seems appropriate too :thumb:

Many years ago my dad made excellent drink coasters by cutting circles of about 70mm diameter out of very thin ply (say 3mm) and glueing circles of dense pile wool carpet to them. They worked a treat—the carpet absorbed condensation and stopped the glasses clinking when set down. He gifted me a set when I left home.

Fast forward and now they sit, upside down, under the feet of most of my equipment.

Think about the noise of heels on hard floors vs on carpet; and there are no 'jiggles'.

• Like 2

I use the Bunnings absorbers under my t/table's  3 feet.

They're squares of about 5cm and almost 1 cm thick.

They work great and pass easily the "tap" test.

I also have them under the platform the t/table sits on.

Cheap and effective.

There is an iPhone app called Seismograph (probably for Android, too), that reads out the device’s accelerometer in three axes. It is very sensitive and can be used for honing in on the most effective combination of feet or underlay. Just put the phone on the DUT and stomp on the floor, or play a bass sweep through the sub :)

• Like 1

On 16/03/2021 at 10:58 PM, Steffen said:

Yep, under-loading of elastic polymers can make matters worse...

19 hours ago, muon* said:

Is that from experimentation? or a lead on from that they are marketed for under washing machines?...

Fact.  Anti-vibration designed for industrial use will be rated for different load ranges. 

Take an example of of a hard-rubber anti-vibration pad.  It needs some weight to compress slightly, so it can absorb and dissipate vibrations.  If a lightweight object sits on it, it will not compress. It will be like the lightweight object is sitting on a somewhat hard surface, and the vibration pad won't do it's job well.