Replacing RCAs on an NAD turntable

Joelb3108

Hi folks

I've been lucky enough to come across an NAD533 TT for nix, however, the RCA cable coming directly from the tone arm has been damaged and is now shortened. The previous owner put some new, cheap RCA plugs on, but the solder job is pretty ordinary and the plug quality is poor.

In short, I want to replace the RCAs and - somehow - easily extend the cable so that I can run it on my two tiered rack.

The questions I have are

1. Can anyone recommend some easily sourced, good quality replacement RCA plugs, and;

2. What is the best option for extending the shortened RCA cord to retain the best sound quality?

Thanks in advance

Joel 

Terminate the tonearm cable on a plate with a couple of quality RCA sockets, mount that on the back of the turntable (either on the back panel if you have the skill, or on a small Jiffy box or similar that attches to the back panel).

Then use whatever RCA interconnects you like.

RCA's:  Amphenol are well-regarded, available at some online stores and Altronics.  I like Rean (aka Neutrik) RCAs, available online from some electronics and professional audio stores.  Both these are good quality and not excessively priced. 

If you need to extend the tonearm cable I would suggest getting a replacement cable - it needs to be a phono cable (low-capacitance), so will be more expensive than regular RCA cables. 

The option above (shortening the current cable and attaching it to RCA sockets on your tt) is also viable, but you will need to get low-capacitance RCA-RCA cables (again more expensive than regular RCA cables).  So will be no cheaper and more work than just replacing the tonearm cable. 

Another option is to replace the RCA plugs on the existing tonearm cable, and buy an external phono preamp, which can be positioned close to the tt.  Then you can use whatever RCA leads from the phono preamp to your amp/preamp.

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, audiofeline said:

RCA's:  Amphenol are well-regarded, available at some online stores and Altronics. 

These Amphenol plugs are excellent. The case is made of metal, so the shield is continuing all the way to RCA socket. They mate well and are Australian made.

Shielding is particularly important for phono signals because of their low level.

1 hour ago, audiofeline said:

If you need to extend the tonearm cable I would suggest getting a replacement cable - it needs to be a phono cable (low-capacitance), so will be more expensive than regular RCA cables. 

Could not agree more. Each plug socket connection degrades the signal, so ideally, you should just replace the whole remaining length with a new cable.

• Like 1

For RCA plugs I like these

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Star-Line-Silver-Plated-Gold-Plated-Tellurium-Copper-RCA-Plug-connector-2Pairs/323989934901?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=513376457391&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

For sockets maybe CMC but have to be aware of fakes.

For a Phono cable to replace a captive one I used one of these on my old Sansui SR-838, this is assuming the arm wires terminate at a tag board of similar inside the body then the leads bare wires are terminated at the same board.

https://www.aurealisaudio.com.au/phono-cables/

He could custom make any length but the longer the cable the more capacitance.

Edited by muon*

2 hours ago, rockeater said:

These Amphenol plugs are excellent. The case is made of metal, so the shield is continuing all the way to RCA socket. They mate well and are Australian made...

FYI, the Rean (aka Neutrik) RCA's also have a metal sleeve.  All are good. 

2 hours ago, Joelb3108 said:

Thanks for all the advice. The ideal would be to replace the entire cable, but they are apparently very difficult to rewire and the harness isnt cheap

I'm a little confused about this.  My understanding is that you are wanting to replace the phono cable.  These are generally connected to the tonearm wire, and replacing the tonearm wire is generally referred to as a "rewire".  Replacing the phono cable is generally referred to as "replacing/upgrading". 

There are two ways the phono cable is connected to the tonearm.  One way is by a plug/socket (it looks like a mini 5-pin DIN, but is different although it is often incorrected called that).  You can buy phono cables with one of these connectors at one end and RCA's on the other.  Replacing is a matter of unplugging the old and plugging in the new (and possibly managing some strain relief so it won't accidentally rip out of your tonearm). 

The other way phono cable is connected to tonearm wire is via a tagstrip the sets of wire are soldered to.  You can buy phono cables with RCA's at one end whichi is unterminated (cut-off) at the other, ready to be soldered to the tagstrip. 

Although soldering is a more difficult process if you haven't done it before, both approaches are relatively simple procedures for a turntable.  Can you post a pic of the tonearm area underneath the turntable (remove the bottom cover if it has one).  Then we can help advise. 

Another approach you could do is to make a mini-phono-extension lead, if you are comfortable soldering. 

Buy some low-capacitance cable (eg. some Belden 1505F, I recently bought a meter from Cliff electronics), put RCA plugs on one end, and some inline RCA sockets at the other, and plug into the newly-replaced RCAs connected to you turntable.  You could use some heatshrink to keep the two bits of cable together.  This isn't a high-end solution, but might be an easy (and cheaper) solution for your situation. 

Example inline RCA socket, comes in red or black: https://www.jaycar.com.au/black-rca-gold-line-socket-with-spring/p/PS0274?pos=8&queryId=4a2651d2800fa81e611c05b6941149e0&sort=relevance

• Like 1

1 minute ago, audiofeline said:

I'm a little confused about this.  My understanding is that you are wanting to replace the phono cable.  These are generally connected to the tonearm wire, and replacing the tonearm wire is generally referred to as a "rewire".  Replacing the phono cable is generally referred to as "replacing/upgrading". 

There are two ways the phono cable is connected to the tonearm.  One way is by a plug/socket (it looks like a mini 5-pin DIN, but is different although it is often incorrected called that).  You can buy phono cables with one of these connectors at one end and RCA's on the other.  Replacing is a matter of unplugging the old and plugging in the new (and possibly managing some strain relief so it won't accidentally rip out of your tonearm). 

The other way phono cable is connected to tonearm wire is via a tagstrip the sets of wire are soldered to.  You can buy phono cables with RCA's at one end whichi is unterminated (cut-off) at the other, ready to be soldered to the tagstrip. 

Although soldering is a more difficult process if you haven't done it before, both approaches are relatively simple procedures for a turntable.  Can you post a pic of the tonearm area underneath the turntable (remove the bottom cover if it has one).  Then we can help advise. 

You're quite right. I've just found some instructions for an aftermarket upgrade of the Rega Planar RB220 tonearm (which is on mine) and the RCA cable and it appears to be plugged into the base. 

I'll need to pull the base cover off  to have a look

• Like 1

This is a photo of it. Clearly requires soldering, which would be finicky given the internal wires are short and fine. 

Can't seem to find any availability in Australia.

Screenshot_20210316-223729_eBay.jpg

Edited by Joelb3108

Would be finicky but no more than if you are replacing the RCA plugs.

Does that end bit come apart?

Screenshot_20210316-223729_eBay.thumb.jpg.8b27a7e6a4cd8732eca16ba3209fc7b0.jpg.8d6fe41dda2b41b12bf6fc711a28725e.jpg

Ah, your in Sydney, if you were close by I might have offered to help if you are balking at the soldering.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

The RCAs in the picture look as if they are original moulded onto the cable.  They are not high-end connectors, but if they are moulded onto the cable I wouldn't replace them (the internal wires are likely to be very fine). 

I can't see how/where the cable was shortened - perhaps it was originally a short cable, or it's just too short for your setup.  Phono cables are generally 1m or less - because of the low-level signals longer phono cables are more likely to produce signal loss. 

If you are requiring a 2m cable (for example), you would be better getting an external phono stage and positioning it within reach of your turntable lead.  Because this device will amplify the delicate signal, the RCA interconnect coming from this to your amp's input can be virtually any length without concern.  If the external phono preamp is not an option, then reposition the turntable so it can plug in directly to your phono stage/amp.

• Like 1

Sorry, that was a photo from the replacement external cord that i found on the web. My cable is far shorter.

I think the phono amp is the best option along with some new, high-end RCAs from the types you suggested. I have an NAD PP-1 pre-amp which isn't amazing, but isn't terrible either. It gives far more cable reach.

• Like 1