DAC recomendation

G'day

I have a Musical Fidelity M5Si amp that powers Monitor Audio Gold 100 speakers

Lately I have been playing music from my Ipad into the M5Si's DAC

I was thinking of buying MF M3S CD player but a mate suggested I might be better off with a better quality DAC

Can you suggest a DAC up to around the 2K mark that would fit the purpose

Cheers

In that price bracket I've heard both the RME ADI-2 and Denafrip Ares II in my system.  I'd personally lean toward the Ares, as I found its sonic signature far more enjoyable.   I'm sure @DacMan (on this forum) would look after you well if you decided to buy a denafrips locally.

Another interesting option in that price range would be would be the new Mytek Liberty II, which is currently on pre-order.  It comes with an over sized integrated linear power supply, and a few other tidbits over the original Liberty.

• Like 2

I listened extensively to the Ares II and found the digital signature that I so dislike absent. 

I decided to go a step up in the Denafrips line to the Pontus II as it seemed a better match for the rest of the system. It is over your limit though. I'm still awaiting delivery so I can't tell how much better than the Ares II it is. 

In truth I may not be able to tell at all as I'm in the process of updating DAC, amp, speakers, and cables all at once! Yikes, my poor pension fund.:o

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the recommendations

I’ve ripped my CD collection to ITunes on the FLAC setting I think it’s called

if I run the Gieseler Kompact DAC between my IPad & the MF M5Si amp will I hear better audio?

49 minutes ago, Brad24 said:

Thanks for the recommendations

I’ve ripped my CD collection to ITunes on the FLAC setting I think it’s called

if I run the Gieseler Kompact DAC between my IPad & the MF M5Si amp will I hear better audio?

Yes

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brad24 said:

Thanks for the recommendations, I pulled the trigger on a used Gieseler Kompact DAC

Good choice. Many of the reviews on here put some of Clay's stuff up there with $8k PS Audio offerings. 

I'm a happy owner of two of his DACs. 

Edited by DrSK

16 hours ago, Brad24 said:

Thanks for the recommendations, I pulled the trigger on a used Gieseler Kompact DAC

It's a very good choice. Love to hear your feedback after you spend sometime with it. ?

• Like 1