Anyone Used Conductive Glue?

If so please advise outcome?

Also does anyone think these glues have a negative effect on the quality of sound when used in audio equipment please?

Gerard

Hello PPL,

It depends what sort of "glue" you mean and the application. You may mean conductive paste used for some surface mount work. In another application, I have used an electrically conductive paint which could almost be regarded as a glue at thicker consistencies iff the coverage was good and there was no joint movement / heat load and/or high current flow.

The application I have used this in is for the repair of aluminium ribbon on the Genesis midrange quasi ribbon driver as well as the Infinity EMIT driver. They seem to work reasonably well for that.

Best

JA

JA and Decky thanks for your replies.

As far as the glue itself, the following two links give examples of the glue I'm referring to;-

http://www.voltelectronics.com.au/silver-conductive-pen.html?utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Tools+and+Hardware&utm_term=Silver+Conductive+Pen

http://cableorganizer.com/mg-chemicals/silver-conductive-epoxy.html?engine=google&s_kwcid=TC|6214|conductive%20glue||S|p|2977215045&gclid=CIHxjru17qoCFYiCpAodkG83Pw

The glue that sets the quickest would be my preference. I also thought about the paint you refer to but for some reason did not think it would be suitable. Perhaps I should put some more thought into it. When I tell you what I intend to use it for you may be able to give an opinion of it's suitability.

The tone arm wires on my t/t connect at one end to RCA jacks and at the other end come straight out of the tone arm and then fitted with Cartridge Tags. In other words the Cart is directly connected to the tonearm wires. Otherwise I would just change the head shell wires; end of problem

The problem; when I connect one of the wires to the Cart I am unable to get a tight fit. The gold plated connectors are that soft that if I close them to make a tight fit they just spread open and when I try to fit the next wire the first wire falls off. It is a very frustrating experience.

While typing the last paragraph I thought of the idea of tying cotton around the Cartridge Tags to stop them spreading. Any thoughts or comments welcome.

The idea of the glue was to do one or two at a time and then when the glue sets do the next one or two until they are all connected. My concern is what effect the glue will have on the sound, if any.

The other option and most likely the best is to pull the tonearm wires through a little more, cut the old tags off and fit new ones. My concern it that there wouldn't be much working space and I'm no expert at soldering so I hope there is another way to rectify the problem. However, if this is the preferred option then so be it. I'll just take my time and hope for the best. Should I stuff it up then more wire will be needed to be pulled through the tonearm. There is excess wire in the box/plinth, however I don't know how old it is and I would hate it to break. The arm has been rewired at some time and I must say that the wire does look in good condition. however if you knew how my luck is then you would understand my reluctance to attempt fate.

All comments much appreciated.

Gerard

P.S. Funny how when you put a problem in writing more ideas come to mind. The other thing I just thought of is heat sink. First put it over the tag before fitting and then heat it until it constricts to hold the tag in place. Unless someone comes up with a better idea I think I might go with this solution.

I would agree - any metal filled epoxy can have some level of conductivity but that is at best described as being semi-conductive. If in need of a good conductive contact it is better to be avoided.

Thank you to those who replied.

I've decided to keep the current tags and put heatshrink on them prior to fitting. I'll do one at a time and then apply some heat until they are a tight fit.

I don't get much quality time and the other day I spent about two hours on this project; very frustrating. I think the best I did was to get two to stay on and then when I attempted to put the third one on the first two fell off, most attempts resulted in only one staying put before it fell off. My wife turned the volume of the TV up in an attempt to drown out my cursing and I don't blame her.

Don't want to replace the tags for the reason previously explained.

Gerard

Edited by pepperlibido