Sparking Valve on Pre Amp is this normal

One of my pre amp valves (5AR4) sparked on start up tonight this lasted about 5 seconds. I have never noticed this before and the amplifier is working with no notable affect. 

Is this normal?

54 minutes ago, camross said:

One of my pre amp valves (5AR4) sparked on start up tonight this lasted about 5 seconds. I have never noticed this before and the amplifier is working with no notable affect. 

Is this normal?

No, this is not normal. What's the pre amp please?

Edit: I'm asking the question above to try and establish if the filter input caps are too high in value for use with the 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier.

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, xlr8or said:

No, this is not normal. What's the pre amp please?

Edit: I'm asking the question above to try and establish if the filter input caps are too high in value for use with the 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier.

From the OP's signature block: Prima Luna Prologue Pre Amp.

1 hour ago, Telecine said:

From the OP's signature block: Prima Luna Prologue Pre Amp.

Correct Prima Luna Prologue Pre Amp.

I tried to video the sparking but it burnt out before I manged to start the video. Is it a possible error in the Tube?

Great - can now see that info in the block.

5AR4/GZ34 use in the prologue is recommended so there doesn’t seem to be wrong rectifier use in circuit.

Is the rectifier a new production type?

Your rectifier is arcing and needs to be changed ASAP as it is at high risk of taking out your power transformer.

Edit: Yep, it’s a new production type. You need to change it. I would recommend switching to vintage UOS/NOS types. Try searching for a Mullard Blackburn UK late 1950’s f31 black micanol fat base 5AR4/GZ34.

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, xlr8or said:

Great - can now see that info in the block.

5AR4/GZ34 use in the prologue is recommended so there doesn’t seem to be wrong rectifier use in circuit.

Is the rectifier a new production type?

Your rectifier is arcing and needs to be changed ASAP as it is at high risk of taking out your power transformer.

Edit: Yep, it’s a new production type. You need to change it. I would recommend switching to vintage UOS/NOS types. Try searching for a Mullard Blackburn UK late 1950’s f31 black micanol fat base 5AR4/GZ34.

Thanks I will look around for new tubes. Just to make sure I should not use the amp until I have new valves?

13 minutes ago, camross said:

Thanks I will look around for new tubes. Just to make sure I should not use the amp until I have new valves?

Yes - don't use it or switch on until you have replaced the rectifier.

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, xlr8or said:

Gee, looking for the above is a little like looking for needle in a haystack. 

Can anyone recommend a good local 5AR4 to get me back up and running? Whatever I get maybe in the system for some time so Ideally best available local.

8 minutes ago, xlr8or said:

Thanks unfortunately these are all for one only, other than the Fat Base which does have two available price is slightly out of my range at the moment with a new Power amp on layby.

I have just remembered I still have the old two valves that I replaced. They still seemed good just replaced them as I wasn't sure how long they had been used for prior to my purchase of the amplifier second hand.

54 minutes ago, camross said:

I have just remembered I still have the old two valves that I replaced. They still seemed good just replaced them as I wasn't sure how long they had been used for prior to my purchase of the amplifier second hand.

Use those for the moment and I'll contact you offline with a recommendation on a suitable pair. ?

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 1

I had a similar problem with a rectifier in my PL Prologue preamp once. I replaced both rectifiers. I first tried the PL rectifiers and then replaced them will new issue Mullard. I find the new issue Mullard better than the PL stocks. They are relatively inexpensive, about A$60 each. If you'd like to spend the $$$, then NOS Mullard is much better.  See links below to get the cheap version and the good version:

https://www.thevalvestore.com.au/32-rectifiers

http://tubes.tw/shop/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=0e5d92f6d13d177c121750bd8d6aaa25

Good luck.

• Like 1