Best amp to drive KEF ls50 meta

Hi guys I need advice for a right-sized amp to drive some kef meta.

budget within human reason :)

I was driving my LS 50 with the Rotel Michi. Good match.

My Cambridge Audio Edge NQ and W also drove them well. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, petetherock said:

Maybe these two are a bit out of my budget :)

4 hours ago, Al.M said:

What’s the budget, integrated or separates?

I would prefer integrated for simplicity and I'd say $3.5k max

18 hours ago, Marco79 said:

Just get the active version and your done!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Marco79 said:

Wow, didn't know this ne existed!

Isn't 35w underpowered for the LS50?

Generally speaking yes, very much so, but Burson advertise it as a good match so it could be worth a thought.  

However, as you've since stated a budget that is much higher than the asking price of the Funk I'd say better can be found.

This one sounded very nice on the LS-50s to my ears.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YBA-Heritage-Integrated-Amplifier-A100/254161485402?epid=1555868890&hash=item3b2d347e5a:g:CT8AAOSwPYZU4oDz

Or even.

Maybe it's overkill... and maybe it's not... but it is well within your budget, and that's what counts.

• Like 2

Amp list to consider https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/325588-sna-amplifiers-and-preamps-audition-shortlist/

I’d go for Yamaha AS 1200, Musical Fidelity, Roksan or similar with specs that double in watts from 8 ohm to below 4 ohm speaker load. For example, I’m driving my Ls50 very well with a vintage NAD 3120 20w that triples watts to 70w into 2 ohm loads.

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

On 11/03/2021 at 2:16 PM, petetherock said:

Hi Pete,  do you have one of the newer Michi amps, if so, how does it compare to the CA (851w I assume you mean)

2 hours ago, JkSpinner said:

Hi Pete,  do you have one of the newer Michi amps, if so, how does it compare to the CA (851w I assume you mean)

I used the Edge series, with the Rotel pre power.

The Rotel is nice if you need the extra power, but the CA Edge streamer power held it's own for music and had a lot more function / connection options:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2021/01/cambridge-audio-edge-nq-and-w-review.html 

On 11/03/2021 at 2:28 PM, Marco79 said:

Anything decent which has high current and 100WPC+ should be fine. Perhaps a MF M5si or a Rotel RA 1572.

Cambridge Edge and Rotel MIchi are waaaay overkill for these speakers.

• Like 2

"The LS50 Meta has minimum EPDRs of 1.66 ohms between 135Hz and 140Hz and 1.7 ohms between 660Hz and 725Hz, both regions where music can have high energy. " And their sensitivity is quite a low 85dB.

I'd say these speakers are thirsty for power and current despite their diminutive size. Get something that breezes through 4 ohm loads and preferably is capable of driving 2 ohms. I'd highly recommend a class D offering.

I ran my LS50's (not meta) with great results powered by a Hypex Class-D NC122-mp with balanced inputs.

They used a passive LDR Preamp with RCA/Balanced interconnects and had heaps of grunt and never struggled in a medium sized room. The Hypex neutrality and lack of harshness really suited the LS50's and let their unique character take centre stage and was much appreciated by everyone ?

Cheers, Rob

kyuubilistening-2.thumb.jpg.735f1fa4bd6641b422c467acb6860c9e.jpg

• Haha 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Have been running my LS50 Metas with an NAD pre/power combo. C658 pre and c268 power amp. Quite happy with the set up. Wanted the steaming and Dirac capabilities of the pre. 

Have heard the speakers with the Audiolab 6000a integrated in a smaller room. Sounded great. Just didn’t have the streaming and room correction. 

As for Burson Funk, a review involving pairing with the LS50s linked here. 

• Love 1

Afausto,

I saw your YT video one or two weeks ago. Good video. It's what really made my decision regarding the Burson funk amp. I was skeptical the power wouldn't be sufficient.  Sounds like a good match.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I called KEF Australia (Audio Connect) and they recommend a Hegel H120, H190 or Arcam SA30.   Notably all more expensive than the LS50 Wireless II, but I understand the hesitation around actives.

I ended up getting a Hegel H190 (instead of my "old" NAD c368) and the sound is outstanding, paired with a EMI ADI-2 DAC

Great to hear.  Did you compare to Wireless II? I hear that the Hegel H190 + LS50 Meta combo is superior, as it should be for the price. 

18 minutes ago, mysterybear said:

Great to hear.  Did you compare to Wireless II? I hear that the Hegel H190 + LS50 Meta combo is superior, as it should be for the price. 

Unfortunately not. I've listened to the Wireless II in the past, but not in the same environment and with the same sources...

I like the idea to keep streamer, DAC, amp and speakers separate for flexibility, though

• 2 weeks later...

Yamaha WXA-50 streamer/DAC/amplifier should do it based on specs, if you don't mind class D ICEpower amplification, very good metrics on ASR and < $600 new.

4 minutes ago, aparashk said:

Yamaha WXA-50 streamer/DAC/amplifier should do it based on specs, if you don't mind class D ICEpower amplification, very good metrics on ASR and < $600 new.

On 21/04/2021 at 4:48 PM, Marco79 said:

I ended up getting a Hegel H190

• Like 1

I'm using the LS50 Metas < Burson Funk Amp < Topping D50S DAC. Loving the sound. Detail & clarity is amazing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1