FR-64 tonearm cable connector (5 pin... thin?)

Hi Everyone,

Several weeks ago I imported a FR-64 tonearm, one I’d been drooling over since starting with the baby brother, the FR-24mkii.

unfortunately, it came without a cable. So I ordered the venerable Bill’s cable using WE wire - this arrived today. So imagine my dismay when the 5-pin DIN looked like this:

image.thumb.jpg.b065f09947a22d86d4af050b3b840a9f.jpg

1. Where did I go wrong?

2. what connector or cable are other Fidelity Research connoisseurs using? 

Much appreciated :D 

to me the 5pin din you are holding is not a 5 pin din tonearm connector.  It looks too big.

go back to Bill and query him.   did you order a tonearm cable rca to din connector?

here is a photo of one in my draw - the din plug is quite small.

QLPtIRT.jpg

• Like 1

I can’t tell from the picture whether the issue is that it’s too big to fit or the female holes don’t align to the pins. I agree with Shane, unless it’s an optical illusion, that it doesn’t look like a standard phono cable DIN connector.

I’ve tried multiple cables with the FR-64fx and have never had an issue with the din plug not fitting.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, metal beat said:

to me the 5pin din you are holding is not a 5 pin din tonearm connector.  It looks too big.

go back to Bill and query him.   did you order a tonearm cable rca to din connector?

here is a photo of one in my draw - the din plug is quite small.

QLPtIRT.jpg

Excellent, thanks. I did order the tonearm Rca to din connector. 

I am realising that this neutrik connector I receive is probably closer to the one on my REL than the size for the tonearm ?

5 minutes ago, Doppelganger said:

I can’t tell from the picture whether the issue is that it’s too big to fit or the female holes don’t align to the pins. I agree with Shane, unless it’s an optical illusion, that it doesn’t look like a standard phono cable DIN connector.

I’ve tried multiple cables with the FR-64fx and have never had an issue with the din plug not fitting.

Awesome. I’ll take it back to Bill and see if we can get it changed ASAP. Burning a hole this is ?

@Bill125812 ?

Edited by crtexcnndrm99

Confusion exists as English speaking countries now refer to the 5-pin tonearm connector is as a tonearm 5-pin DIN, but it is not a DIN. The DIN standardized 5-pin connector as used by Naim for example is the same format used in MIDI devices and sometime, though rarely tonearms. 

Edited by PicoWattson
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PicoWattson said:

Confusion exists as English speaking countries now refer to the 5-pin tonearm connector is as a tonearm 5-pin DIN, but it is not a DIN. The DIN standardized 5-pin connector as used by Naim for example is the same format used in MIDI devices and sometime, though rarely tonearms. 

There is no confusion when someone orders a tonearm interconnect cable,  din to rca or xlr. 

The only question is the termination, straight or 90 degrees 5 pin din.

You should never receive a Naim type din connector on any tonearm interconnect. .

• Like 2

Guest 12ax7b
11 hours ago, metal beat said:

There is no confusion when someone orders a tonearm interconnect cable,  din to rca or xlr. 

The only question is the termination, straight or 90 degrees 5 pin din.

Yes there is - the 5 pin tonearm plug is not a DIN, this is a US based misuse of the word DIN.

In Japan if you ask for a tonearm cable with a 5 pin DIN connector they will have no idea what you are talking about.

If you examine a cross section of vintage Japanese tonearms you will find a diverse selection of plugs. and configurations. Only in the past few years have manufacturers settled on a defacto standard 5 pin "DIN".

27 minutes ago, 12ax7b said:

Yes there is - the 5 pin tonearm plug is not a DIN, this is a US based misuse of the word DIN.

In Japan if you ask for a tonearm cable with a 5 pin DIN connector they will have no idea what you are talking about.

If you examine a cross section of vintage Japanese tonearms you will find a diverse selection of plugs. and configurations. Only in the past few years have manufacturers settled on a defacto standard 5 pin "DIN".

Aye, the Fidelity Research FR-34 uses these weird 4 pin plugs..... Best to just remove the connector and rewire the arm with a single wire run terminating in a pair of quality RCA's and a banana plug  ;)

The FR-64S thankfully uses a standard tonearm connector, as does their FR-54, FR-14 etc. The 24 is their earliest design though.

Edited by MattyW

Somewhat off topic but this reminds me that I need one of these also, so

does anyone have a spare they would like to move on

or

can anyone recommend where to get one, it’s for my number 2 deck so I don’t need it to be gold plated etc :)

I've a few spare from "The Vinyl Adventure" . I've 2x pair "Rebel" interconnects and a single "Corvette" pure silver interconnect. I think the Corvette may be more than you want for a second table but the Rebel interconnects might interest you. The Corvette interconnects really are rather incredible though and the Rebel IC's are fantastic for the cost too.

Edited by MattyW

Here is some interesting research on 5-pin tonearm connectors.  They are not the German DIN standard, and are often regarded as the Japanese JIS standard.  This posting suggests that it's origins lie with Denon: https://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vinyl&n=164707&highlight=jis+plug&session=

• Like 1

On 11/03/2021 at 12:22 PM, MattyW said:

I've a few spare from "The Vinyl Adventure" . I've 2x pair "Rebel" interconnects and a single "Corvette" pure silver interconnect. I think the Corvette may be more than you want for a second table but the Rebel interconnects might interest you. The Corvette interconnects really are rather incredible though and the Rebel IC's are fantastic for the cost too.

Hi Marty I’m interested in the rebel for sure if I can afford it

7 minutes ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

Hi Marty I’m interested in the rebel for sure if I can afford it

Or I've some Soundstation branded Van Damme interconnects with Amphenol RCA's at one end I could send for the cost of post if you just need something to get you going. They're nicely shielded, never used. Trying to get rid of all the vinyl stuff I have. I've hoarded so much over the years.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Or I've some Soundstation branded Van Damme interconnects with Amphenol RCA's at one end I could send for the cost of post if you just need something to get you going. They're nicely shielded, never used. Trying to get rid of all the vinyl stuff I have. I've hoarded so much over the years.

Anything I could pick up this arvo, so I can get the tubes going for the weekend while waiting on replacement..? ?

Sorry to barge in here! 

Aye, I'll allow you to apologise just the once..... In your own thread. The little pig might have issues with it though. He can be a bit of a swine sometimes  ;)

You can have one of the Soundstation ones for free, or could even borrow one of "The Vinyl Adventure" interconnects if you wanted to give them a try. I'll likely hang onto the silver and the two copper ones as I've 3x turntables I need to sell.  You could borrow to try and see if you wanted to order some from overseas though. They're not in use in any way :)

The Soundstation ones your welcome tom free of cost though if you wanted to give something for one it would keep me out of trouble with my wife.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MattyW said:

Count me in 

Chaps,

(Sorry to be a pedant ;)....)

Those 5-pin tonearm plugs are not really DIN or 'Mini DIN'. They’re sometimes called JIS phono plugs, but even that is not exactly correct as I recall. 

Although the design did originate in Japan.

(Source - Jonathan Carr, Lyra designer.)

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/