Metrum Owners & Discussion Thread

Ok the Metrum has arrived. In one word WOW. I blows away any other DAC I have heard except the PDX and Killer and I have to tell you they are under threat - its that good. I have never heard anything quite like it. The PDX and Killer sound natural and real - this thing simply sounds accurate - as if there is nothing bertween it and the recording. Nothing touches this for $1k - nothing. I simply can not detect any type of character to it - none - zippo - none.

I have it connected via the Off-Ramp and the Truth and am sitting simply in amazement. Of course the cost with the Off-Ramp is $2.7k and you need a pre amp which you do not need with a DAC like the PDX that has its own volume control.

I have my third DAC for the new shootout - this is without a shadow of a doubt an up there DAC - and at the price - amazing.

I simply can't stop listening to it.

John Darko if you are reading this drop me a line so we can make arrangements for you to review it.

Oh and sorry for the spelling mistakes in the title - if the moderators could fix I will be grateful - as you can possibly guess I am in sort of a state of shock.

More to come as I keep listening.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Bill, do you have a JK hiface or AP2 lying around? I wonder what it sounds like with that level of USB converter. I'm interested in this dac, and a few others... bugger

Sorry I don't - but I know some people that do and they may be able to help. Will see what eventuates.

Thanks

Bill

Why am I not surprised ...

Probably because you don't accept I have been at this hobby for at least 30 years and have heard tons of stuff - you think I just started yesterday - I haven't.

Thanks

Bill

I heard of six people that listened to this and they said it was the best

As far as accuracy goes it is. I am still tying to ascribe a character to it - I can't. Meaty maybe but that's it.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill, can I ask from where you purchased this from and exact $.

Hi Lazz

I got it direct from Metrum acoustics - $698.53 Euro including postage. I have to dig up my paperwork to find exactly what I paid in Aussi dollars but it was about $980.00 with the exchange rate at the time including Pay-Pal fees.

Thanks

Bill

One thing I will say is I don't agree with what Metrum say about the DAC - 'The sound of this dac let you forget that you are listening to a digital source'. To my ears it does not sound analogue - the PDX does for example - but this doesn't. I don't think you can forget it is digital - but it is digital done right.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Very interesting dac Bill.

With NOS dac, I am always worried about bass, quantity and above all quality. I like bass very well control, articulate, propulsive. Rhythm, PRAT are very important for me.

I read that it was a weak point with the Tranquility. How is the bass with the Octave ?

And in general how is dynamic, transcients ? For 6moons, it seems that it is not the main quality.

Thanks.