Low Cost Isolation

Hi All,

Who knows if this has been covered many times (well.......maybe you know, but I don't) but I just found a potentially very cost-effective "isolation platform".      A 490mm x 350mm "kneeling board" from Sydney Tools.  Link below.

Comes in orange and blue, and is basically a hard plastic shell with a beveled slab of spongy foam-rubber about 5cm thick.      Firm enough to withstand quite a bot of weight,  and should provide pretty damn good vibration insulation.      Cut the handles off, warp in some black electrical tape, put some friction tape on the bottom, and "Voila!"   Isolation platform for about $20!  (Marked down to $20 at my local store.)

Not for the high-end purists......but well worth a go for everyone else.

https://sydneytools.com.au/product/flextool-ft410209unit-490mm-x-350mm-kneeling-board

2 hours ago, AJL999 said:

Who knows if this has been covered many times (well.......maybe you know, but I don't) but I just found a potentially very cost-effective "isolation platform". 

What are you planning on top of this platform? It would have to be very heavy, and the foam rubber would have to be quite soft for it to be effective as vibration isolation. Unless you get a static deflection of something like 10-30%, you may actually make matters worse, depending on the vibration frequency you’re trying to suppress. 

• Like 2

Found something interesting on Google; its called a Tamping Mat made of silicone (110 x 160 x 8mm) and is used near coffee machines. Costs $10. Stops baristas from getting sore wrists. I reckon you could cut a sheet in half and use adhesive to stick it to a piece of timber (110x 80)....instant footer to go under the feet of your cd player.