Final Directstream firmware “Sunlight”

After a recent mention on the Hifi podcast with Darren and Duncan (thats Darren Myers of PS Audio), Paul McGowan confirmed that the next firmware is incoming next month

39517DC7-1600-4885-B0CE-2D6662A4B0D8.jpeg

Edited by sakabatou
Grammar
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quad rate DSD- mmmmm sounds good not so sure about the words final update for DSD owners - end of the products line /life.  Presume reborn perfectwave DAC to be released end of year or so to match new transport ( guessing- so please don't sue me if wrong). 

If anyone has already downloaded- what are your thoughts. its meant to be a big change.

Posted (edited)

Sunlight is amazing, Ted the master has done it again, everything is better, what a great last update. 

If I liked people I'd have a GTG to show off this old DAC 😁

Edited by awayward
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Looking forward to this👍

• Like 1

Just updated mine now and it is sounding exceptional ,Definitely sounding different to Windom

• Like 4

Although I had a successful load, Sunlight sounded fat, slow and hissy.

I reverted to Windom, and then reloaded Sunlight - and it now sounds right.

So if you’re finding that you don’t like it, reloading is worth a  try

• Like 3

Keen to hear your thoughts @frankn will give it a run myself this weekend I hope 🤙

Posted (edited)

Seems okay.  I used Rebbeca Pidgeon “the raven” as a back to back comparison. To my old, tired ears seemed a small improvement but not night and day.  It HAS added additional “toe tapping” so that’s a good indicator. 
Have been listening to a few other discs so I’m obviously happy. Currently on PF but not sure about the accompanying wine! I do have a bottle of DoSM but that has to wait for the other disc. 

081F6643-BE86-4D6B-B69A-6C639722A0AC.jpeg

Edited by frankn
more subjective info
  • Like 2

Giving this a run this morning, I was really happy with how the system was sounding recently, especially with the introduction of Qobuz, some nice and  magical moments happening in this room ( or was it the wine?)

I have definitely noticed the brightness that a few others have experienced and depth has dropped off a bit for me. Much more detail, no denying that. I don’t really have room to move speakers around so will see how it goes over a few days and decide if it stays or I revert back to Windom.

45 minutes ago, mtf said:

Giving this a run this morning, I was really happy with how the system was sounding recently, especially with the introduction of Qobuz, some nice and  magical moments happening in this room ( or was it the wine?)

I have definitely noticed the brightness that a few others have experienced and depth has dropped off a bit for me. Much more detail, no denying that. I don’t really have room to move speakers around so will see how it goes over a few days and decide if it stays or I revert back to Windom.

The brightness did settle down for me after a day or so, interesting to see what happens for you.

• Like 1

Sunlight is a jaw-droppingly good upgrade - and I say that as a one-eyed vinyl nut!

Finally I'm playing digital music and getting genuine pleasure out of it... as in, savouring every nuance and getting excited thinking about what I want to play next. Even after the previous firmware upgrades, I never seriously thought things could get this good on the digital front in my system without investing in a much more expensive DAC (to bring my digital set-up closer to what I spent on my vinyl rig).

I'm impressed, delighted - and, most surprisingly of all, hooked!

• Like 5

Well it has had plenty of time to settle in with the Aurender and dac on repeat and the amp and pre off at nighttime.

Sounds pretty damn good now, harshness has backed off but the extra detail and air have remained, space and soundstage have improved, definitely more “ sparkle” if I had to sum it up in one word.

Some of the new releases on Qobuz sound amazing! Rag’n’Bone Man, Lana Del Rey and “In the air tonight”  by Phil Collins, wow!

ps 

sorry to bring Phil into it 🤣

• Like 6

As an aside we also  tested out another hdmi cable from transport to the dac last night.

I was generously loaned a WireWorld Silver Sphere to compare with my Nordost  Blue Heaven, they are roughly the same price (within $50) and the Silver Sphere came out well in front, similar but smaller changes that Sunlight has made.

Definitely worth an audition if you are in the market for a new i2s cable.

• Like 2

After a few days I have to agree that the digital playback has further improved. Kudos to PSA. 

• Like 2

I’m finding this update to be a major improvement in my system.

The clarity, detail and overall balance is now perfect, and bass definition is just right, I’ve never heard bass so clear and well defined.

Since this update I’ve hardly played vinyl, a big changed as I was playing about 80% vinyl before this upgrade, I hate this passion sometimes, now what for my vinyl rig 😩

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, awayward said:I hate this passion sometimes, now what for my vinyl rig 😩

I must admit I’ve done the same!

Be back spinning those black discs again soon enough though, in the mean time......well done Ted!🕺

• Like 2

Maybe its just my imagination, but, it sounds louder to me.  Can't really tell without measuring and reverting back and forth, which isn't going to happen, so will just have to stay an inkling.  Doesn't matter anyway.

Sounds good to me.

• Like 3

Just updated Sunlight and no issues with installation. 

Wow.. I found it amazing. I see people say that its loud but I felt that everything is so much more defined and more clean space in between instruments that I could push the volume and which made every track I played sound so much better. 

Awesome last update to current directstream DAC. 

• Like 2