Accuphase lover

Hi there...

I can relate to your personal experience. 
Very well built anx sounds amazing.. unfortunately they don’t market well in Australia..., as they don’t believe in paying for high profile reviewer... A corrupted marketing strategy that Accuphase do not endorse...! 

Welcome...  and if you’re ever in Perth after next few weeks or thereafter... give me a shout if you want to check out and catching up! 

cheers... 

F471F619-38D9-4B52-9EBA-E338F0ED5974.jpeg

• Like 1

Accuphase seems to do digital especially well.Somehow they manage to get their digital stuff sounding beautifully natural and unforced.Op amps and all.From what I have heard very few other manufacturers manage to do that.

Yes Thomo. They are the clearest sounding amplifier I have managed to hear. They don’t add colour and the likes. To me they are like a clear blue sky. No clouds, just beautiful air! That’s not to say that other amps with colour, clouds or warmth-whatever you like to call it aren’t good. I just found that amps with colour warmth etc would play some of my music beautifully but not all. My accuphase plays everything without fail.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susan 3 said:

Chanh, are you the authorised Accuphase merchant for Australia? I hear it is a person from WA. Anyway some lovely looking champagne gold in the pics!

NoNoNo...! 

Am an end user just like you. 
I have gone through so many brands, jumping from SS to Valves/tubes.., from Class A, ClassA/B and ClassD. 
Now settle with ClassA poweramps from Gryphon and front end from Accuphase. 

6 hours ago, Susan 3 said:

Hello. 
I love accuphase. Tried lots of other stuff didn’t stop buying till I spent the bucks on accuphase. That’s all I’ve got to say!?

Hi Susan.

Welcome to SNA.

Lots of respect for Accuphase around here and I look forward to your contributions.

:welcome:

Okay ?Chanh...you have a room full??yours are nicer (newer) than mine! I can’t afford them. I’ve only got the bucks for the vintage second hand ones. Still think they’re great. Mine is p400 and c240. And yes Accuphase is weird with marketing hence the one official distributor in Australia etc. However, they are dedicated to creating great music machines rather than selling them. Theory being- great sound and build will sell itself. But yes if you say the word Accuphase to the average Australian they won’t know what your talking about. Audiophiles will though. I’m not sure I would call myself an audiophile but I love music and have a good ear. One day someone whispered that word Accuphase in my ear. I listened to theirs and was impressed. Bought my own 2 years ago. No regrets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Susan 3 said:

Chanh, are you the authorised Accuphase merchant for Australia? I hear it is a person from WA

No he is not. He is just their biggest customer. ?

Arena Distributors which run Revolution TT in Osborne Park are the distributor.

Pierre Wigger is the name of the man.

Accuphase have good service backup if you happen to have bought it in the country you reside. 

If you bought it on holidays or you moved from another country, then they will give you zero support and ask to send it for service to wherever you got it from. So hold on to your receipt..

But the stuff is generally good and does not break down a lot.

1 hour ago, Chanh said:

Thanks.. enjoy the journey @Susan 3
Trust me - we all once started with affordable preowned audio gears....., in time, we will, all, get there. It is just a matter of time once obsession/passionate is taken over..... ?

So true. Plus you only live once, enjoy the best music you can ???

7 minutes ago, rockeater said:

No he is not. He is just their biggest customer. ?

Lucky him! Used vintage is what I can afford. Speaking of... I was just looking at the Accuphase t106 tuner (yes I still listen to radio unstreamed) the Accuphase site says the unit is 87-108mhz. Is there a Japanese version which is only for Japanese wavelengths or are they all the same? Anyway... realistically I should probably just buy a streaming dac and listen to internet radio. But hey I like the wood boxes, pretty lights and meters! Not concerned about service for the used Accuphases’ they are built well. There are people that can fix them here. Still worth it!

I own the Accuphase C-37 phono stage.  wonderful phono after you get over the 100+ hours of painful burn in.

Can't comment on their digital stuff as cd/sacd suks in general :)

Always found the power amps lovely and slightly burnished and the pre amps more neutral and easy to build any SOTA system around.  build quality and reliability is to die for.

Edited by metal beat

1 hour ago, Susan 3 said:

Lucky him! Used vintage is what I can afford. Speaking of... I was just looking at the Accuphase t106 tuner (yes I still listen to radio unstreamed) the Accuphase site says the unit is 87-108mhz. Is there a Japanese version which is only for Japanese wavelengths or are they all the same? Anyway... realistically I should probably just buy a streaming dac and listen to internet radio. But hey I like the wood boxes, pretty lights and meters! Not concerned about service for the used Accuphases’ they are built well. There are people that can fix them here. Still worth it!

Hi Susan - a while ago I read enough about tuners to make my head hurt.  Vintage (70s, 80s) good.   Some say vastly superior to newer stuff.  I listen to a lot of ABC Classic FM.   I have a Yamaha T-85 tuner which is about 1986 - it is good for weak signals, and sounds tremendous, too.. 

Japan does have a different FM frequency range, sadly.  {edit - this is not the same thing as saying Japanese tuners - a mistake I have made in the past!}  Someone may have a fix, but I suspect it'd require some major surgery.

I copy and paste from a tuner enthusiast forum where naturally everybody has a different opinion and experience and ears.   I chopped out any links but nothing else.  I'm happy to pass onto you the name of a professional who can do any maintenance and alignment.

Accuphase T-106 (1984-86, $2,750
The rare T-106 is a nice-looking FM/AM digital synthesizer tuner that sounds better than almost any other digital on strong signals. It has 6 gangs and 5 ceramic filters, 14 station presets, a multipath meter, high-frequency filter and wide/narrow IF bandwidth selector, but strangely lacks a stereo-mono switch. On weak signals, in a side-by-side test, our panelist Eric's all-black T-106B (borrowed from our tuner benefactor Kevin) was not as quiet as a Kenwood 600T or KT-917, or a Sansui TU-X1. In addition, this T-106B's selectivity did not live up to its excellent published specs. It may have been out of alignment, or maybe just a bad piece - our panelist David "A" has owned several T-106s and has found its quality control to be inconsistent. Our contributor Glenn compared one T-106 to his Yamaha T-85 and Sony ST-J75 and decided that the T-106 is the best tuner he has owned to date: "It simply 'sings.' Definitely what FM is all about. While I'm not much of an AM listener, the T-106 is clearly also a cut above in its AM abilities. Does as well on AM as it does on FM. A superb tuner." T-106s sold on eBay for $670 in 3/02, $758 in 6/03, $1,166 in 10/07 and $548 in 12/09.  {Lloyd here - US dollar prices}

Edited by Lloyd
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

I listen to a lot of ABC Classic FM.   I have a Yamaha T-85 tuner which is about 1986 - it is good for weak signals, and sounds tremendous, too.. 

The Yamaha T-2 is a better-sounding FM tuner.

An even better FM sound from around that time was a European tuner whose name began, I think, with 'G'.  (Sorry, the name escapes my fading brain-cells.  :( )

Andy

10 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

Hi Susan - a while ago I read enough about tuners to make my head hurt.  Vintage (70s, 80s) good.   Some say vastly superior to newer stuff.  I listen to a lot of ABC Classic FM.   I have a Yamaha T-85 tuner which is about 1986 - it is good for weak signals, and sounds tremendous, too.. 

Japanese tuners do have a different FM frequency range, sadly.  Someone may have a fix, but I suspect it'd require some major surgery.

I copy and paste from a tuner enthusiast forum where naturally everybody has a different opinion and experience and ears.   I chopped out any links but nothing else.  I'm happy to pass onto you the name of a professional who can do any maintenance and alignment.}

Thanks Lloyd

I know the site. Lots of reading there! I purchased my first tuner based on readings from there. It’s a Luxman t530. It was paired with a luxman LV105 hybrid amp I had at the time. I’m still listening to the luxman tuner now, problem is the Accuphase amps now deserve better. Maintenance guy for vintage gear never goes astray! 

7 minutes ago, andyr said:

The Yamaha T-2 is a better-sounding FM tuner.

An even better FM sound from around that time was a European tuner whose name began, I think, with 'G'.  (Sorry, the name escapes my fading brain-cells.  :( )

Andy

There are a lot of tuners which probably sound better, and that's a beautiful thing.

Grundig were German?