Resolving power cables do they really make a difference

11 hours ago, Eggcup the Dafter said:

Solid core "twin and earth" mains cable (used for house wiring) was a popular speaker cable in the UK for a while in the 1980s.

You used to be able to buy it in Oz - over 20 years ago.  This however, was for use inside wall cavities - where it is not moved around - not as a power cord which might get flexed from time to time.

However, you will no longer find it at places like Middies or Lawrence & Hansen ... possibly because it is now illegal to be used?

Andy

they are out there though and they do make a difference to the sound ? you have to match the build of the cable to the components carefully to extract the best performance out of them

1 hour ago, Plasmod3 said:

they are out there though and they do make a difference to the sound ? you have to match the build of the cable to the components carefully to extract the best performance out of them

That wasn't the opening poster's question.

2 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

That wasn't the opening poster's question.

he asked where best to put a power cable in - that answer will depend on how the cable is build and with what materials. simple answer

1 minute ago, Plasmod3 said:

he asked where best to put a power cable in - that answer will depend on how the cable is build and with what materials. simple answer

Oh I see. I thought you were just praising power cables in general. Can you answer his question then if you knew the materials?

Edited by Ittaku

Just now, Ittaku said:

Oh I see. I thought you were just praising power cables in general.

no, you need to know what you are buying . knowing the construct and metallurgy means you know where best to place the cable. don;t get bowled over by appearances externally, know your cables and whats in there...thats the most important thing.

Just now, Plasmod3 said:

no, you need to know what you are buying . knowing the construct and metallurgy means you know where best to place the cable. don;t get bowled over by appearances externally, know your cables and whats in there...thats the most important thing.

And which ones suit source and which ones amps?

1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

And which ones suit source and which ones amps?

..and streamers/DACs/phono stages/power boards. If done properly, one could have seven or eight different power cords so the unique demands of the various components could be maximised and true synergy achieved.

• Like 2

Just now, rantan said:

..and streamers/DACs/phono stages/power boards. If done properly, one could have seven or eight different power cords so the unique demands of the various components could be maximised and true synergy achieved.

Apparently so, which is why I'm curious to hear what this wonderful synergy of metallurgy and components is.

Just now, Ittaku said:

Apparently so, which is why I'm curious to hear what this wonderful synergy of metallurgy and components is.

Yes.

Pease count me me in as well.

This could be groundbreaking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

not here to get into a catfight ? let me know what you have and i will suggest

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Plasmod3 said:

not here to get into a catfight ? let me know what you have and i will suggest

Well I don't have any, so what would I buy for say my MSB Reference DAC versus my ARC Ref250SE power amps?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Plasmod3 said:

you using kettle cords for your audio gear??????

Of course not. I use kettle cords for my tea kettle.  I use the power cords that came with my audio electronics of course.

well they dont use kettle cords inside the msb reference dac:-) so if you want to maximise the performance of the gear why use something basic to hook it up? short of shindo gear , i have not found any other gear that doesn't respond to the use of better power cords. But this is something you have to try before you believe in  ittaku. where in melbourne are you? might be happy to lend you a cord to try.

2 minutes ago, Plasmod3 said:

why use something basic to hook it up?

Because that's what it came with, meaning that manufacturers decided that's what was required for it to work optimally.  The manual said nothing about aftermarkert power cords so they're clearly recommending against using them by giving me one with the device.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

I use the power cords that came with my audio electronics of course.

As do I.

The term "kettle cords" is just the vernacular term for a standard power cord supplied with  components.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rantan said:

The term "kettle cords" is just the vernacular term for a standard power cord supplied with  components.

Oh I see, so does that mean I could use one of these higher quality power cords to make my kettle boil faster too?

• Haha 2

ittaku....if you like i can open your eyes to whats out there. whats supplied there is  like what you get with a printer. you can use it and yes it will supply power but a msb reference dac is not a printer. and if you are happy to pay 120k for a msb reference dac with simple copper in there - you need to reexamine the purchase pathway. as  i said i might be happy to lend you a cord if i can be satisfied i will get it back

i think you don;t like eggs itttaku, which is fine but know that i am not here to convince you otherwise if you are a skeptic. I will suggest that you dont spend 120k on a msb reference if you compromise on the most important part of the system which is power.. Power and isolation are the bases to building a great system

2 minutes ago, Plasmod3 said:

i think you don;t like eggs itttaku, which is fine but know that i am not here to convince you otherwise if you are a skeptic. I will suggest that you dont spend 120k on a msb reference if you compromise on the most important part of the system which is power.. Power and isolation are the bases to building a great system

Oh okay I see. I would have thought with MSB doing all the wiring internally on the DAC for optimal performance that they'd know how to do the wiring externally to power it as well, but you're saying that's not the case? I see now.

7 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Oh I see, so does that mean I could use one of these higher quality power cords to make my kettle boil faster too?

I think I have one on my slow cooker, have I made a mistake?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2