Integrated Amp will not switch on - SONY TA-V715

Hi guys,

Well, as I mentioned on my intro, I received a SONY TA-V715 stereo integrated amplifier and a CDP-V715 CD Player as part of a package deal. 

Unfortunately, while the CD Player works perfectly, the amplifier just refuses to switch on. 

I'm positive that I have the correct transformer (240>100V - 300W), so IMO that can't reasonably be the problem (I consulted with TorTech before buying). 

It could be that I've done something stupid, like not connect it properly in the first place, although admittedly it is hard for me to see how. Then again, I am a 'noob', so what I know about this could fill a postage stamp. ?

I suspect that the amp might be faulty - perhaps it was damaged during transit. Not sure. Perhaps a fuse blew? Who knows?

My instinct says to scrap it if I can't get it working - it is insured and the two devices only cost $220, so it hardly seems worth the cost of repairing it (I can still use the transformer to power the CD player if absolutely necessary - currently I use a voltage converter to power it). That said, older and wiser heads might disagree and I'm open to contrary opinions. 

The amplifier is 100V, 92W, 50/60 Hz, and dates back to the late 1980's. 

The back is in Japanese, but I've uploaded an English translation. 

I do have the schematics, which I'll show if necessary, but that's trickier to upload. 

Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers. 

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

Pages from unlocked-537397571736738b4058aa20049e7462.jpg

Edited by DaRick
  • DaRick changed the title to Amp will not switch on - SONY TA-V715
  • DaRick changed the title to Integrated Amp will not switch on - SONY TA-V715

I managed to find a schematic for the 710 model, as it may have similarity. The 710 has a integrated circuit arranged to protect the amplifier from faults, its part is a uPC 1237H and the way it blocks faults,  is to trigger a relay.  There are also fuses fitted to the 710 model

There should be a Sony Service Centre in Brisbane that can advise further. You might need to take along your step down transformer to assist

them to test.    

• Like 1

Depends if you are confortable taking voltage measurements on a live unit
(warning, lethal voltages inside). First step would be a basic health check of the power supply. Put the schematic on a (google?) shared drive, I'm looking at the TA-V715T, it shows the power amp with STK modules and uPC1237HA based protection circuit.

I assume there is no faint click 4-8seconds after hitting the p-on button.
Possibly the front panel lights are out. Looks like a 1.25AT fuse and a thermal fuse in transformer primary.

• Like 1
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By hugo_wilco
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Melbourne State: VIC Payment Method: PayPal for friends EFT cash Reason for selling: NLR Further information: less than 6mths old. Amazing integrated with a fantastic phone stage included. Has that amazing foot-tapping rhythmic ability that on my Naim have. 

Photos:

• By olegau
      Item Condition: Good working order Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: ST KILDA EAST State: VIC Payment Method: Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: surplus Further information:

Audiolab 8000A amplifier

The amp is in good working order, was fully serviced recently

Audiolab 8000A is the best of 19 stereo amplifiers of What Hi-Fi?'s lifetime

https://www.whathifi.com/au/features/best-19-stereo-amplifiers-what-hi-fis-lifetime

Specification:
      https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/audiolab/8000a.shtml
      Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.

• By Vladas
      Item Condition: Virtually brand new Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Melbourne State: VIC Payment Method: Paypal, EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: NLR Further information:
      Halcro solid state power amplifiers have extraordinary low distortions.
      Sadly, as many other outstanding Australian brands, Halcro is shy in marketing.
      I believe that Haclro simply can not match financial power of top high-end players.
      I bought this unit brand from Halcro dealer, temporarily replace my tube amplifier under long repairs, and also because I was really
      curious to judge myself how world lowest distortion translates into sound (I don't trust any reviews)? Surprisingly, unlike other
      high-end solid state amplifiers I have tested in my home in the past, Halcro was producing not only extremely detailed sound, but
      also was pleasant to listen, sometimes I was even forgetting that this is not my usual tube amplifier, costing few times more -
      although Halcro sounds neutral, not dark or coloured.

I used this amp only few weeks, what you can verify by connecting it to computer through Ethernet cable. The amplifier is virtually
      brand new, 100% as new technically and 100% cosmetically. If you see any imperfections on the photos, they are just shadows or
      hand marks. It comes in original box and with genuine printed manuals.

Preferred pick-up in Melbourne (Frankston) with further $90 discount from agreed purchase price.

Specifications:
      Power Output: 400W RMS continuous into 4 Ohms
      Distortion THD: <0.007% at 1kHz at all powers up to 400W into 4 Ohms, <0.03% at 7kHz at all powers up to 400W
      Unbalanced and Balanced Voltage Inputs
      Remote trigger switch between On & Standby
      Amplifier module will indicate over Temperature condition

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.

• By JD1973
      Hi - quick question I was going to list (sell) my 2-year-old Rega Elex-r integrated but my mate wants it. I was thinking 1000 was a fair price is that about right?

I’ll still donate to SN as I’m an addict to the site

1000 a fair price?
    • By Halfcast
      Item Condition: Brand New Sealed Box Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Stanhope Gardens State: NSW Payment Method: PayPal, EFT, Cash Reason for selling: Not Required for my needs New model Yamaha A-S1200 Black. Purchased new in Sydney but have decided to stick with my current setup. Rrp is $3499, I’m selling at a loss to recoup some of the purchase price. Brand new in box, never opened. 
      pick up from Stanhope Gardens or free delivery in Sydney Metro area. Freight can be arranged interstate at buyers cost.