Integrated Amp will not switch on - SONY TA-V715

Hi guys,

Well, as I mentioned on my intro, I received a SONY TA-V715 stereo integrated amplifier and a CDP-V715 CD Player as part of a package deal. 

Unfortunately, while the CD Player works perfectly, the amplifier just refuses to switch on. 

I'm positive that I have the correct transformer (240>100V - 300W), so IMO that can't reasonably be the problem (I consulted with TorTech before buying). 

It could be that I've done something stupid, like not connect it properly in the first place, although admittedly it is hard for me to see how. Then again, I am a 'noob', so what I know about this could fill a postage stamp. ?

I suspect that the amp might be faulty - perhaps it was damaged during transit. Not sure. Perhaps a fuse blew? Who knows?

My instinct says to scrap it if I can't get it working - it is insured and the two devices only cost $220, so it hardly seems worth the cost of repairing it (I can still use the transformer to power the CD player if absolutely necessary - currently I use a voltage converter to power it). That said, older and wiser heads might disagree and I'm open to contrary opinions. 

The amplifier is 100V, 92W, 50/60 Hz, and dates back to the late 1980's. 

The back is in Japanese, but I've uploaded an English translation. 

I do have the schematics, which I'll show if necessary, but that's trickier to upload. 

Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers. 

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

Pages from unlocked-537397571736738b4058aa20049e7462.jpg

Edited by DaRick

I managed to find a schematic for the 710 model, as it may have similarity. The 710 has a integrated circuit arranged to protect the amplifier from faults, its part is a uPC 1237H and the way it blocks faults,  is to trigger a relay.  There are also fuses fitted to the 710 model

There should be a Sony Service Centre in Brisbane that can advise further. You might need to take along your step down transformer to assist

them to test.    

• Like 1

Depends if you are confortable taking voltage measurements on a live unit
(warning, lethal voltages inside). First step would be a basic health check of the power supply. Put the schematic on a (google?) shared drive, I'm looking at the TA-V715T, it shows the power amp with STK modules and uPC1237HA based protection circuit.

I assume there is no faint click 4-8seconds after hitting the p-on button.
Possibly the front panel lights are out. Looks like a 1.25AT fuse and a thermal fuse in transformer primary.

• Like 1
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BKO
      Item Condition: Mint Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Perth State: WA Payment Method: Cash, PayPal or EFT Reason for selling: Going full separates PRICE REDUCED FOR QUICK SEll

Further information: 
      Marantz SR8012 AVR. Made in Japan, build quality is immaculate.
      Bought new in July 2020. RRP 6890.
      Has more than 2 yrs of Marantz  Australian warranty left.
      Has been used sparingly in dedicated HT room.  
      Will power up to 11 channels with 11 separate amplifier channels. 
      Potent brains and brawn for Home theatre setups.
      Has most audio surround and video codecs; DTS:X, Dolby Atmos, Auro 3D and is compatible with HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision.
      Has pre outs for all channels to add power amps for even more flexibility.

Full list of specs here https://www.marantz.com/en-ca/product/av-receivers/sr8012

Review by Audioholics here https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/marantz-sr8012-receiver.

Have Original paperwork, remote and Audyssey calibration mic with its stand. Don’t have original packaging (my other half thought it’s junk now and threw away without my notice ) but can pack appropriately, as required.
      Prefer pick up as it is quite heavy.
      Can drop off for shipping if shipping can be arranged by the buyer.

Also posted elsewhere.

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.

• By Sonica
      Item Condition: Good condition Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: VALLEY VIEW State: SA Payment Method: Bank Transfer, Cash on pick up Reason for selling: Rising funds for a new audio project Further information: This is 100V unit and had it for more than a year alternating it with other 3 amplifiers. Never had a single issue with it and have used it together with a C2a preamp to get a great audio experience out of it. Banana cable connectors ready! So, is now time to find a new good home. It has a small crack on the back panel, it is very small but looks big in the close up photo. I know will regret selling this unique amplifier but I am an audio...nomad!

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.
    • By Nait
      Item Condition: Rarely Used, Perfect Condition inside out (see photos for your reference) Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Clayfield State: QLD Payment Method: EFT, Cash, Paypal Gift or +4% fee Reason for selling: Further information:
      Rarely used WM1Z in perfect condition and working order It comes with all original factory accessories and packaging 256GB Samsung Micro SD card also included to expand your music storage in WM1Z Photos as attached for your reference FREE EXPRESS SHIPPING to your door WITH SIGNATURE UPON DELIVERY REQUIRED Please message me for inquiries  

• By hugo_wilco
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Melbourne State: VIC Payment Method: Cash EFT Reason for selling: NLR Further information: less than 4 months old. Have all original boxes etc. RRP $4295 big saving. 

Photos:

• By audioaddict78
      Item Condition: Near Mint Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Dulwich Hill, Sydney State: NSW Payment Method: Cash, Paypal, EFT Reason for selling: No longer required Further information: 
      Sony WH-1000XM3 Headphones.
      Excellent condition, comes with all original accessories.  I've used these twice, and now sit in my draw unused. 

Can Ship, or Pick Up available - Dulwich Hill, Sydney

Photos: