SOLD: Sennheiser HD800S

Wow! This is the busiest sale thread I've ever had!! Feel free to boost my cable ads over in the accessories and cables section! ?

I agree about the HD800S working best with tubes, but more importantly is the higher output impedance of OTL amps (and others with switchable OI).

As for the Utopia vs Clear - I do think there is value in the upgrade, but I'll leave it to the upcoming review to explain it so I don't spend ages re-typing what I've already said because I'm currently editing the HD800S review you all asked for :)

Finally, I have two people inline for the HD800S once I finish filming (just have to capture the B-Roll in the next few days). Thanks for the interest and the conversations!

• Love 1

3 hours ago, DMax said:

Just leave Lachy alone to sale his Hd800s boys! Lol

Haha. It's all good. I've recorded the review today. That might seem quick, but I know the headphone inside and out by now and just had to do some comparisons and some genre testing. I'lll post it as a bonus post in the coming weeks...

• Like 2

On 06/03/2021 at 9:31 AM, PassionForSound said:

I disagree (respectfully of course). I find the two very similar in a lot of ways. Their signatures are quite similar so for me the key differences are that the Utopia is a bit more refined and smoother (not warmer/darker) and it also has the smaller soundstage as you said, but I find it a more accurate/focussed soundstage.

I don't want to spoil my review, but the FR graphs on my EARS rig surprised me with their similarity. The EARS is by no means reference, but when comparing measurements taken on the same setup, it's fairly good for the sake of comparison and did reflect what I heard (I always listen and write my notes before measuring)

Exactly the inference I came to, after owning both headphones, for a few months.

But I sold Utopia, and kept HD800s.

41 minutes ago, peppy said:

Exactly the inference I came to, after owning both headphones, for a few months.

Probably a matter of system synergy too! Which amp/DAC do you use with HD800S?

2 hours ago, peppy said:

I think with the music you listen to (based on some previous chats), the HD800S are probably slightly better overall whereas I think the Utopias are probably a bit more versatile across a wider range of genres.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bengineer said:

.....maybe I just don't like neutral/bright headphones....

And you wanted the ADX5000? You definitely wont like those then as they are even brighter than the HD800S.

I am opposite, I prefer bright trebly headphones.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bruc3 said:

And you wanted the ADX5000? You definitely wont like those then as they are even brighter than the HD800S.

I am opposite, I prefer bright trebly headphones.

Autuer and 6xx aren't exactly bright trebly cans! I don't mind some murder cups, just has to be done really really well (D8000 Pro) and might need to tweak any 3k and 6k areas that annoy me.

True, maybe I don't know what I like yet. So just means I need to try/own more headphones and then decide I guess.

My aim for next headphone is a really warm headphone like the Aeolus and see if I hate it or love it.

Have you tried the Ananda? It’s the non bright version of the Arya, still resolving, good detail but without the hot treble. Just doesn’t have that layered 3D bass the Arya does. But still open, still good imaging, soundstage etc. 

Edit: whoops, sorry for suggesting the opposite - you like bright and trebly cans. 

DT1990? 

Edited by akqrate

2 hours ago, akqrate said:

Have you tried the Ananda? 

DT1990? 

Thanks l for the suggestions, but I doubt I would prefer those over my hd800s.

There is only 1 bright/neutral headphone that interests me right now and that is the adx5000. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bruc3 said:

Thanks l for the suggestions, but I doubt I would prefer those over my hd800s.

There is only 1 bright/neutral headphone that interests me right now and that is the adx5000. 

I never allowed it to burn in but i returned the ananda back when. Found the upper end and vocals a bit too forward for me. And the upper end was a little too unnatural or splashy for me. That might have been with a cayin iha6 that can be a bit on the brighter side of neutral. And i highly rate the hd800

• Like 1