Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine, (Vacuum)

Have owned this unit for about 18 months, bought off ebay. Has been working well up until now, but then just started leaving the vinyl wet. Adjusted the height of the plate to ensure the arm was contacting the record. Still no good. The vacuum is working and there is plenty of suction when I remove the arm from outlet. Does not seem to be a lot of suction with the arm on. I am at a loss as to what to do. Anybody in Perth have any suggestions? 

Ljodtmt1Qlai%p40Z6OSXA.jpg

Is it possible that the arm is partly restricted with some dirt. 

This would explain good suction with out the arm on the outlet.

You could try blowing through the arm with an air line.

• Like 1

Hi, yes did that. Air appears to be coming through. Have ended up taking it to Jason at The Turntable Doctor. Hopefully he can find out what the issue is. Thanks for your suggestion

4 hours ago, Hydrology said:

I owned one. Wasnt a bad performer, but was a piece of s**t.

It seems every generational model has some sort of design flaw, so while its probably too late, it might help others - dont buy a ProJect RCM!

Good to know this. Is there a good alternative to Pro-Ject VC-S2 that is similarly priced ie. something affordable?  Will the new Okki Nokki One we worth considering?  

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so got the unit back just over a week ago. I think the main issue was to do with the cleaning solution, which was supplied with the unit, (Pro-Ject Wash it). Never had an issue in the past but when I last used it, the humidity was extremely high and I'm thinking maybe this had something to do with the problem. Thing was I immediately started messing around with things that I possibly should have left alone.  I changed the adhesive strips but run them along the edge of the opening on the vacuum arm, whereas they should have been hanging over the edge reducing the opening by around 50%. So that actually made things worse. Then I adjusted the platter which again did not improve things. Jason at the Turn Table doctor reset the platter and refitted the strips, we then used some distilled water to see if things were now improved and yes, I was back in business. The following day went to clean some records, and once again the vacuum was not completely drying the vinyl. Again the room was quite humid. So then I left the fluid on the record for 30 seconds then vacuumed and left it again for around 10 seconds before putting it back into its sleeve and hey presto no issues. Did some ivestigating and discovered that other guys had, had similar issues and had changed fluid to MoFi Super Record wash with no problems since. I have now ordered some of this, so hopefully this is the end of it.

• Like 1

I've been using Melody Mate from Melbourne for years now, first manually, then in a Knosti, and now in a Project VC-E. No issues what so ever.

Edit: Mind you, it's early days with the Project....

Edited by Jebediah

On 04/03/2021 at 4:55 PM, Leeming42 said:

Does not seem to be a lot of suction with the arm on

I have been using one of these for a year and have only used the supplied fluid.

Perfect ready to play every time so far.

Must be a small issue with blockage. Very powerful vacuum leaves my records dry and ready to go.