Hello!

I'm initiating the process of upgrading my sound system at home and would love some advice.

My setup has always been based around practising DJing (2 x 1200 a Vestax mixer and some run of the mill m-audio monitors) I would like to transform my setup into something that is less about djing and instead more about listening.  I listen to a wide range of music from jazz, classical, hip hop,  folk.

I have a pair of Dali sensor 1 bookshelf speakers and a Marantz pm 250 amplifier (that I think might be cooked)

I love the speakers and not sure what to do with the amplifier - Should I replace/repair it? I think the cost of repairing could go to a new amp.

I am interested in the Rotel A10 - but not sure if it packs enough for those speakers?

Also - Do you know where I can upgrade/refurb one of my 1200s?  The tonearm needs a good working over and I would like to upgrade the cartridges.  Previously my focus was only Shure m44-7 but realise that could be sacrificing sound quality... not sure where to go from here.

Thanks for your help!

Good evening to you!

You'd be better off if you posted your questions in a more appropriate section ( "Beginners & Purchasing Advice" perhaps ). Usually get a lot more views there, and hence a bigger range of answers.

• Like 1

Have a browse around, and check out all the different sections. You might find a more relevant section for all questions, or you might put a different question in each relevant section;  a post in amplifiers, another in speakers, and so on. Whatever takes your fancy. You may not get an answer, but you are almost guaranteed to get an opinion!

Welcome aboard Mark, plenty of members in Melbourne, I'm sure you get some great help/advise soon.

Hey mate, if you’re running a DJ setup consider some active near field monitors. They will perform great whilst you dj and will have a good chunk of power for critical listening.  

Things have changed a lot on the active speaker front and you can get inexpensive options from many of the other manufacturers. From Behringer at the cheap end and up through fostex, m-audio, krk towards genelec and focal there are heaps to look at.

i’d take a visit to your local store dj store and have a listen in their room and while you’re there ask them about your tonearm.  They are a wealth of knowledge on that front.

Edited by BugPowderDust