New TV time

Guest crankit
35 minutes ago, cwt said:

? As in the dts codec ?  They sound old enough not to decode the newer mpeg4 channels. MPEG2 channels use up a lot more bandwidth so its better with mpeg4 to cram more channels in ..

I get most digital stations but for some reason sbs viceland, world movies like you mentioned I don't but I get sbs...Hmmm

Maybe the aerial adapter in the roof??

Edited by crankit

1 hour ago, crankit said:

I get most digital stations but for some reason sbs viceland, world movies like you mentioned I don't but I get sbs...Hmmm

Maybe the aerial adapter in the roof??

More likely a lack of mpeg4 decoders in your tv's ; try a more modern hd pvr . Ive still got an old lg5402 pvr squirelled away that cant handle mpeg4 either ; check your manuals a decent one will list the decoder types :)

Guest crankit
13 minutes ago, cwt said:

More likely a lack of mpeg4 decoders in your tv's ; try a more modern hd pvr . Ive still got an old lg5402 pvr squirelled away that cant handle mpeg4 either ; check your manuals a decent one will list the decoder types :)

Good point ?

23 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Good to hear, because I read some bad reviews on a TCL TV.  I will investigate further, thanks

of course you can find bad reviews especially about their lower range models but C815 is considered one of their top models with Qled tech same as Samsung so quality is much higher, some reviews and comparison on YT https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEA&search_query=Tcl+c815

10 minutes ago, kukynas said:

of course you can find bad reviews especially about their lower range models but C815 is considered one of their top models

Yes, bad reviews always appear to be more numerous because happy owners often don't bother reviewing.

I have looking more closely at the C715 actually.  It is really annoying how reviews and comparison sites all seem to continually get important specifications wrong, so it's hard to be sure of what the actually are.  For example I just looked at one that said they are all 60Hz refresh rate, whereas most say they are 120Hz, and TCL's own web site doesn't say.  It just says 200Hz clear motion rate.

6 minutes ago, kukynas said:

I think only C815 is 100hz, all others below are 60hz otherwise they would clearly state it that they are 100hz like in case of C815

I read somewhere real refresh rate was half clear motion rate?  In any case TCL rate both C815 and C715 at 200.

Edit:  Oh, I see now that is for the 55" model which is what I am seeking.  The 65" goes up to 400 for the C815

Edited by aussievintage

just bought a sony a8h. it was between this or the x95h (oled vs led). i had choice paralysis between the 2 for a couple of months. the thing that tipped me over to the a8h was the out of the box performance. with the x95h, i would have to calibrate the screen to bring it to it's full potential.

Edited by pezzy

On 07/03/2021 at 9:27 AM, aussievintage said:

Yes, bad reviews always appear to be more numerous because happy owners often don't bother reviewing.

I have looking more closely at the C715 actually.  It is really annoying how reviews and comparison sites all seem to continually get important specifications wrong, so it's hard to be sure of what the actually are.  For example I just looked at one that said they are all 60Hz refresh rate, whereas most say they are 120Hz, and TCL's own web site doesn't say.  It just says 200Hz clear motion rate.

Any reference to 60hz or multiples thereof will be for overseas models. Australian models will be multiples of  50hz.

I’m also in market for a new tv but I going to wait couple weeks to months and see how many more hdmi 2.1 model tv coming out before making the decision.

I love the x95h series from Sony , look fantastic but unluckily no hdmi2.1 

I mainly do apple movie blue ray and ps 5 so I guess hdmi 2.1 will worth for the wait ? Sony announced x95j already 

or any other suggestion ? 

On 04/03/2021 at 9:04 AM, aussievintage said:

My old 50" Samsung is playing up and it's time for a replacement.

I am looking at

•  55" or more
  • not concerned about OS, or internal smart apps, as I prefer to use Google Home and Chromecast
  • not concerned about sound as I have a new LG Dolby Atmos soundbar (CEC-ARC will be used, or optical  for sound)

So, tell me about QLED, ULED, OLED etc  and why I shouldn't (or should) buy a Hisense 58" 4K TV for $800  :)   

We got a Samsung UA55HU8500 5 years ago and never looked back. Before all the ULED, QLED, OLED stuff came along. It's only an inch or so thick and hasn't deteriorated during the time we've had it.

OLED is essentially every pixel has its own backlighting (or can be turned off). So, most expensive and best picture.

ULED and QLED are different ways of grouping your backlighting so that you get most of the advantages of OLED, without the cost. But essentially, they're not as good.

The real difference is in blacks and darker screens - you can get real differentiation with OLED, not so much with the other two.

But, regarding pricing, Good Guys and JB will both respond well if you ask them if there is movement on the price. But both will try the "extra warranty" and you will be paying for delivery and installation (unless you can take it yourself). Best way to get a good price is to do the October sales (Black something?). That's when both are best placed to offer you discounts, as they're backed up by the manufacturers and distributors. VideoPro look like they have good pricing at the moment (if they're offering free delivery and installation).

• Like 1