My old 50" Samsung is playing up and it's time for a replacement.

I am looking at

•  55" or more
  • not concerned about OS, or internal smart apps, as I prefer to use Google Home and Chromecast
  • not concerned about sound as I have a new LG Dolby Atmos soundbar (CEC-ARC will be used, or optical  for sound)

So, tell me about QLED, ULED, OLED etc  and why I shouldn't (or should) buy a Hisense 58" 4K TV for $800  :)   

I have just gone through this - I have a 65 inch sitting on a cabinet but it is starting to get feint lines across the screen, so time for an upgrade.

Decided to go up in size and wall mount it as I have noticed since I brought my Samsung 65 inch nearly 9 years ago, they are much thinner and lighter and "tip overs" can happen when on a stand on a cabinet, and I have a lot of "breeze through" in my house if I open doors & a toddler who will be visiting.

I went up a size because if wall mounted it will be a foot back to what I am used to so did not want it to look smaller being further back.

I am having some mild anxiety over it all though as I am waiting for it to be installed in a couple of weeks, am I doing the right thing going bigger wall mount - LOL -  😟

I spoke to quite a few people and two install techs as well and they recommend Samsung or Sony.

LG they say the colours are too saturated and "cartoony-y" overall for most TV.

I am like you, I prefer my Chromecast too - but I will get the options set up via the TV too whilst the tech is there. Might as well have them set up.

I have the TV connected to my Amp too - so that is not an issue for me either.

I went with a Samsung 4k QLED.

Happy shopping 🙂

• Like 1
1 minute ago, April Snow said:

they are much thinner and lighter and "tip overs" can happen

I can understand.  Luckily mine will be safe from wind and kids :) 

1 minute ago, April Snow said:

they recommend Samsung or Sony.

My current TV is Samsung, and it has failed (remote function has ceased).  I have never liked Sony as a company, ever since some of their antics in the market earlier on.

3 minutes ago, April Snow said:

LG they say the colours are too saturated and "cartoony-y" overall for most TV.

I would hate that.  I want it to be very natural.

4 minutes ago, April Snow said:

I went with a Samsung 4k QLED.

I hope you enjoy it.

So, it appears you avoided the cheaper names like Hisense?   I am trying to convince myself the huge price difference is justified, especially since my Samsung has let me down.

• Like 1

Personally I'd avoid the entry-level Hisense panels - they are native 50hz panels (claimed 100hz with all of the soap opera effect motion smoothing trickery switched on, which looks horrid and artificial) and their motion handling leaves a bit to be desired. In the Hisense range I'd go no lower than the 55Q8 or 65Q8 (100hz native/200hz in vaseline-on-the-lens mode) and with Full Array Local Dimming or FALD (a rear-lit panel rather than edge-lit,  and better blacks in low light conditions) along with 'quantum dot' and a better operating system (hopefully faster and more responsive boot times etc - I have Hisense 65" which is horrendously slow in this regard).

In my personal experience, Hisense have historically had screen uniformity issues with some of their lower models, and it's like entering a lottery regarding what you are going to get. Mine has vertical banding from the edgelit backlighting which is noticeable with sports and content with a uniform background colour. However, the Q8 with its FALD should hopefully address this issue.

My personal experience with the Samsung QLED TVs with FALD has been excellent - great picture quality, motion handling etc and a very responsive experience overall.

The best way to explain it is that my Samsung Q75 (equivalent to the current Q80) is like my my 'hifi rig' when outright picture quality matters, and my Hisense in the family room is like my 'second system' for casual or background listening which is still enjoyable, but clearly a rung down the ladder from the big show. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

So, it appears you avoided the cheaper names like Hisense?   I am trying to convince myself the huge price difference is justified, especially since my Samsung has let me down.

When I brought my Samsung nearly 9 years ago it was a 3D LED TV and it has only just started to play up now - but only with the lines across the screen and that is to be expected due to the age and life expectancy of a screen which is 7-10 years depending on  hours of usage.

I did not want a cheaper TV brand - I have enjoyed my current Samsung and just wish I did not have to upgrade it at all to be honest. I would still be happy with it 🙂

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

Personally I'd avoid the entry-level Hisense panels - they are native 50hz panels (claimed 100hz with all of the soap opera effect motion smoothing trickery switched on, which looks horrid and artificial) and their motion handling leaves a bit to be desired. In the Hisense range I'd go no lower than the 55Q8 or 65Q8 (100hz native/200hz in vaseline-on-the-lens mode) and with Full Array Local Dimming or FALD (a rear-lit panel rather than edge-lit,  and better blacks in low light conditions) along with 'quantum dot' and a better operating system (hopefully faster and more responsive boot times etc - I have Hisense 65" which is horrendously slow in this regard).

Taking notes...  :)       hmmm 55Q8 is smaller and twice the price (sigh)

6 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

The best way to explain it is that my Samsung Q75 (equivalent to the current Q80) is like my my 'hifi rig' when outright picture quality matters, and my Hisense in the family room is like my 'second system' for casual or background listening which is still enjoyable, but clearly a rung down the ladder from the big show. 

What is difficult is to figure out how any of the new offerings compare to may current Samsung UA50F5500.  It is nothing fancy picture wise compared to what you see in the shops.  Maybe anything will be an upgrade.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, April Snow said:

I did not have to upgrade it at all to be honest. I would still be happy with it 🙂

Yes, to be honest, my 50" Samsung was plenty big enough, and we don't use 4K yet, so without the failure, I would not even be looking around.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

My personal experience with the Samsung QLED TVs with FALD has been excellent - great picture quality, motion handling etc and a very responsive experience overall.

I have purchased the Samsung Q75T QLED - (praying it won't be too big..........as I am used to 65 inch) 

but yes, the "Hertz" thing is often a marketing con too - 

Australian TV refresh rate apparently for most things filmed is 60 hertz anyway ..............for everyday things you watch apparently.

But I am not a movie buff or anything but hopefully that will be OK.

I have also noticed that Video Pro are always cheaper than JB HiFi - so worth checking them out for pricing.

If that helps?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Taking notes...  :)       hmmm 55Q8 is smaller and twice the price (sigh)

What is difficult is to figure out how any of the new offerings compare to may current Samsung UA50F5500.  It is nothing fancy picture wise compared to what you see in the shops.  Maybe anything will be an upgrade.

Also interesting too, are the physical dimensions of the TV itself - yes screen size is measured on the diagonal but I noticed that my current 65 inch TV is wider than the new 65 inch models too- because they had a bigger (wider) frame back then.

I was shocked when I did the wobble test on the new ones just how much lighter and much more movement there is on them.

My current one is quite stable but the new ones in the shop do wave about without much trouble. 

That is why I thought wall mounting might be better- although I have a mini breakdown over the fact there will be holes in my wall do it 🤣

I had two install techs come and check the wall to see if mounting was possible and both said "go up a size" so praying it is a good idea 🙏

After looking at TVs though for the past couple of weeks, I can see they improvement in picture quality - when I look at my own now - and that is to be expected going from LED to QLED I guess. I did not get OLED because I have a bright room & of course pricing came into play there too.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, April Snow said:

I have also noticed that Video Pro are always cheaper than JB HiFi - so worth checking them out for pricing.

If that helps?

It does, you may have saved me $50 👍

26 minutes ago, April Snow said:

After looking at TVs though for the past couple of weeks, I can see they improvement in picture quality - when I look at my own now - and that is to be expected going from LED to QLED I guess.

I just wandered through JB Hifi about 15 minutes ago.  No one there, so I had a decent talk with the sales person - who turned out to be one of the better ones.

Compared cheap through to name brand - all 55".  Their cheap Falcon brand picture quality is about what I have now, I would estimate.    The Hisense, LG, and Samsung (going up $100 each step) are all very nice to look at for a static picture.  Stupid demos in stores never let you really see what you want though.  The Hisense was the S8, not the Q8.

Lots of them have Google Assistant, which I didn't expect.  That will fit in very nicely with my Google Home environment and chromecast.

52 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

This whole area needs a closer look for me.   I like the term 'vaseline-on-lens' mode :)    I am not a big sports watcher, so maybe motion handling is lower on my criteria - but there's always fast action in movies to worry about.  If I was to say what I need picture wise, it would be

• crisp focused hiresolution
  • natural colours
  • blacks that don't look too grey. I'd love to display a test greyscale on these TVs to compare to what I want in a computer monitor that I use for photography.  That said, I am not as picky when just enjoying a movie.

Sony X9500H   65 or 75 inch

FALD screen, Sony's superior image processing,  fast google tv interface and a very good picture .

I bought a 55inch version at Xmas for the bedroom - luv it.

Imo Samsung make great phones, Sony great tv's

Ymmv

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

I just noticed a TCL TV on the Videopro website.  A big attraction for that is that it uses Android TV, and has a built in Chromecast function

Edit:  not sure the reviews paint such a nice picture though

Edited by aussievintage

1 hour ago, April Snow said:

I have purchased the Samsung Q75T QLED - (praying it won't be too big..........as I am used to 65 inch) 

but yes, the "Hertz" thing is often a marketing con too - 

Australian TV refresh rate apparently for most things filmed is 60 hertz anyway ..............for everyday things you watch apparently.

But I am not a movie buff or anything but hopefully that will be OK.

If that helps?

Australian TV is broadcast using the PAL system of Standard (SD) and High Definition (HD) at 25 frames per second progressive scan, or 50 fps interlaced.

Progressive scan means that each frame is completely reproduced line by line,  one after the other.

Interlaced means each frame is reproduced on every alternate line, one after the other.

So 50fps interlaced gives every alternate line of each frame at 50 times per second.

Refresh rate is a different thing all together, and refers to how often the TV's screen is refreshed.

So if you're receiving 25 frames per second, and your TV's refresh rate is set to 50Hz, your screen will be refreshed twice as fast as the frame rate. So it will refreshed each time the frame is halfway through scanning down the screen, giving a smoother appearance for faster action sequences.

• Like 1

I went thru this 2-3 years ago when looking for new TV.  Basically I wanted the best possible picture.  I got the store to put each TV on FTA.

The LG Oled was the best but much more expensive at the time.

The cheaper brands could not really match the picture of the dearer ones.

It came down to side by side choice of Sony v Samsung. I picked Samsung Q7 65". 

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Jeddie said:

I went thru this 2-3 years ago when looking for new TV.  Basically I wanted the best possible picture.  I got the store to put each TV on FTA.

Good idea.  I must try asking for that.

Edit:   I must admit,  I don't need the very best  possible picture however.  Something that's good, and better than current,  will see me quite happy.

Edited by aussievintage
On 04/03/2021 at 9:58 AM, aussievintage said:

Yes, to be honest, my 50" Samsung was plenty big enough, and we don't use 4K yet, so without the failure, I would not even be looking around.

Check out" buy smarte " too ; undercut everyone when I got my 85q8 and its even cheaper now ..

Just mention to add to what bob_m_54 said interlaced tvs went away when analogue tvs were replaced with progressive scan models we have today ,,

Heres an example of what can happen when frame rates dont match and you get judder ; its important where the source material comes from :) Why video processors exist and some have a better reputation .. The UK uses 50hz like us ;

Answered: Serious issue - Sky Q juddering with 24 Hz content - Page 2 - Sky Community

52 minutes ago, cwt said:

Check out" buy smarte " too ; undercut everyone when I got my 85q8 and its even cheaper now ..

Just mention to add to what bob_m_54 said interlaced tvs went away when analogue tvs were replaced with progressive scan models we have today ,,

Heres an example of what can happen when frame rates dont match and you get judder ; its important where the source material comes from :) Why video processors exist and some have a better reputation .. The UK uses 50hz like us ;

Answered: Serious issue - Sky Q juddering with 24 Hz content - Page 2 - Sky Community

Actually, all TVs we have today can , and do recieve interlaced scan format, either 576i SD or 1080i HD

https://www.sbs.com.au/aboutus/transmission-information scroll about halfway down

https://www.tvchannellists.com/List_of_Foxtel_Channels  Using the key, the beige "Free-to-air" channels.

It matters not what the TV can display, but what the networks are broadcasting..

Edited by bob_m_54
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, bob_m_54 said:

Actually, all TVs we have today can , and do recieve interlaced scan format, either 576i SD or 1080i HD

Yes bob  ; just making the point that all tvs nowadays will take that deinterlaced fta signal and convert it to its native progressive scan  . When the channels eventually switch to 8k all this old school interlaced compressed video will go thank god 🙂

The 1st thing I do when getting a new 4k tv is delete all the sd 576i channels so it only has to upscale the 1080i ones which is a lot easier for the algorithms and makes channel skipping faster if you can output the sources native resolution :)

Edited by cwt

You know,  I'm still trying to rationalise what I actually need. 

Just one example,  I feel compelled to get a 100/120Hz panel, but my current one is an old simple 60Hz, and it doesn't have the fancy motion software that current 60Hz panels do.  Hence the new 60Hz "cheapies" look damn good to me.

One other good thing happened the other day.  I stood in front of a huge panel (75" I think) and had to back away quite a distance to get it to look as good as the 55" panels I had just been looking at.  Given my viewing distance at home, I know I don't need anything bigger than 55" really.

Another experience I have had is reading all the discussion about proprietary operating systems and slowness to update and get apps for new providers (such as Disney+).  Makes me all the more determined to ignore that and continue to use a chromecast from my Android tablet and Google Home environment.

Touch wood...I still have 2 Plasma TV's, one is a 20yo 55" Pana and 12yo 65" Samsung both Jap made screens and just as good as the purchase day albeit the older plasma weighs a mountain

They're both DTS but some reason I don't get all channels?

I know I added zero to the convo but heard you guys talking in the kitchen and was just passing thru

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

You know,  I'm still trying to rationalise what I actually need. 

Just one example,  I feel compelled to get a 100/120Hz panel, but my current one is an old simple 60Hz, and it doesn't have the fancy motion software that current 60Hz panels do.  Hence the new 60Hz "cheapies" look damn good to me.

One other good thing happened the other day.  I stood in front of a huge panel (75" I think) and had to back away quite a distance to get it to look as good as the 55" panels I had just been looking at.  Given my viewing distance at home, I know I don't need anything bigger than 55" really.

Another experience I have had is reading all the discussion about proprietary operating systems and slowness to update and get apps for new providers (such as Disney+).  Makes me all the more determined to ignore that and continue to use a chromecast from my Android tablet and Google Home environment.

I don't know if this helps you or not, but I am in a similar dilemma - I currently have a 65 inch (on a cabinet) that is about 8-9 years old (LED 1080x1920) and now have brought a 4k  75 inch which will be wall mounted so a foot further back into the room than my current TV is on the stand now.

I found this information from Samsung good:

https://www.samsung.com/au/tvs/tv-buying-guide/what-size-tv-should-i-get/

Also researching tells me with 4k TV one would sit closer to that than you would the old 1080 x 1920 ones - (so the viewing distance can be less than it used to be).

it is confusing but something I did was to measure my seating distance at home  to where the new TV will be, then taking my tape measure with me to the shop I  stood in front of the TV at the same distance I would be sitting to see if the picture was in fact OK.

It helped.

I have also got large sheets of paper and measured out the actual TV dimensions and stuck it on my wall to see if I think I will be OK with it.

I won't lie - I am freaking out a little about it, as it is to be installed late next week, but everywhere I read I have been told sizing up is always a good idea with 4k. 

I too will still use my chromecast as I love it - only now I see the new ones for 4k have to be powered into a power point (not the TV USB like my current one is) - so guess I have to find some sort of 3m adapter for that as my TV will be wall mounted (if anyone has suggestions on a cable? would be appreciated) 

Edited by April Snow
1 hour ago, April Snow said:

I too will still use my chromecast as I love it - only now I see the new ones for 4k have to be powered into a power point (not the TV USB like my current one is)

My Chromecast is not plugged into the TV.  It is plugged into the Soundbar that's on the cabinet in front of it.  The soundbar then plugs into the TV with the HDMI CEC-ARC cable.  It works well, as the soundbar has Google assistant (and Chromecast audio)  so I can control it all with voice commands. 

Also I just use a power adapter to power the Chromecast, but that all sits on or behind the cabinet.

• Like 1

If you don’t wanna pay Samsung premium go TCL Qled road, same tech but 30-40% cheaper, 65C815 would be my pick

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, kukynas said:

If you don’t wanna pay Samsung premium go TCL Qled road, same tech but 30-40% cheaper, 65C815 would be my pick

Good to hear, because I read some bad reviews on a TCL TV.  I will investigate further, thanks

17 hours ago, crankit said:

They're both DTS but some reason I don't get all channels?

? As in the dts codec ?  They sound old enough not to decode the newer mpeg4 channels. MPEG2 channels use up a lot more bandwidth so its better with mpeg4 to cram more channels in ..

Australian free-to-air networks adding MPEG4 TV channels. ABC TV main channel has transitioned to High Definition (HD) MPEG-4 video on Tuesday 6th December 2016. SBS Viceland and World Movies has transitioned on Monday 1st July 2019

Edited by cwt
35 minutes ago, cwt said:

? As in the dts codec ?  They sound old enough not to decode the newer mpeg4 channels. MPEG2 channels use up a lot more bandwidth so its better with mpeg4 to cram more channels in ..

I get most digital stations but for some reason sbs viceland, world movies like you mentioned I don't but I get sbs...Hmmm

Maybe the aerial adapter in the roof??

Edited by crankit
1 hour ago, crankit said:

I get most digital stations but for some reason sbs viceland, world movies like you mentioned I don't but I get sbs...Hmmm

Maybe the aerial adapter in the roof??

More likely a lack of mpeg4 decoders in your tv's ; try a more modern hd pvr . Ive still got an old lg5402 pvr squirelled away that cant handle mpeg4 either ; check your manuals a decent one will list the decoder types :)

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, cwt said:

More likely a lack of mpeg4 decoders in your tv's ; try a more modern hd pvr . Ive still got an old lg5402 pvr squirelled away that cant handle mpeg4 either ; check your manuals a decent one will list the decoder types :)

Good point 👍

23 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Good to hear, because I read some bad reviews on a TCL TV.  I will investigate further, thanks

of course you can find bad reviews especially about their lower range models but C815 is considered one of their top models with Qled tech same as Samsung so quality is much higher, some reviews and comparison on YT https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEA&search_query=Tcl+c815

10 minutes ago, kukynas said:

of course you can find bad reviews especially about their lower range models but C815 is considered one of their top models

Yes, bad reviews always appear to be more numerous because happy owners often don't bother reviewing.

I have looking more closely at the C715 actually.  It is really annoying how reviews and comparison sites all seem to continually get important specifications wrong, so it's hard to be sure of what the actually are.  For example I just looked at one that said they are all 60Hz refresh rate, whereas most say they are 120Hz, and TCL's own web site doesn't say.  It just says 200Hz clear motion rate.

I think only C815 is 100hz, all others below are 60hz otherwise they would clearly state it that they are 100hz like in case of C815

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, kukynas said:

I think only C815 is 100hz, all others below are 60hz otherwise they would clearly state it that they are 100hz like in case of C815

I read somewhere real refresh rate was half clear motion rate?  In any case TCL rate both C815 and C715 at 200.

Edit:  Oh, I see now that is for the 55" model which is what I am seeking.  The 65" goes up to 400 for the C815

Edited by aussievintage

I was looking at 65” version, look at the native refresh rate of the panel which in case of C815 is 100hz

• Like 1

just bought a sony a8h. it was between this or the x95h (oled vs led). i had choice paralysis between the 2 for a couple of months. the thing that tipped me over to the a8h was the out of the box performance. with the x95h, i would have to calibrate the screen to bring it to it's full potential.

Edited by pezzy
On 07/03/2021 at 9:27 AM, aussievintage said:

Yes, bad reviews always appear to be more numerous because happy owners often don't bother reviewing.

I have looking more closely at the C715 actually.  It is really annoying how reviews and comparison sites all seem to continually get important specifications wrong, so it's hard to be sure of what the actually are.  For example I just looked at one that said they are all 60Hz refresh rate, whereas most say they are 120Hz, and TCL's own web site doesn't say.  It just says 200Hz clear motion rate.

Any reference to 60hz or multiples thereof will be for overseas models. Australian models will be multiples of  50hz.

I’m also in market for a new tv but I going to wait couple weeks to months and see how many more hdmi 2.1 model tv coming out before making the decision.

I love the x95h series from Sony , look fantastic but unluckily no hdmi2.1 

I mainly do apple movie blue ray and ps 5 so I guess hdmi 2.1 will worth for the wait ? Sony announced x95j already 

or any other suggestion ? 

On 04/03/2021 at 9:04 AM, aussievintage said:

My old 50" Samsung is playing up and it's time for a replacement.

I am looking at

•  55" or more
  • not concerned about OS, or internal smart apps, as I prefer to use Google Home and Chromecast
  • not concerned about sound as I have a new LG Dolby Atmos soundbar (CEC-ARC will be used, or optical  for sound)

So, tell me about QLED, ULED, OLED etc  and why I shouldn't (or should) buy a Hisense 58" 4K TV for $800  :)   

We got a Samsung UA55HU8500 5 years ago and never looked back. Before all the ULED, QLED, OLED stuff came along. It's only an inch or so thick and hasn't deteriorated during the time we've had it.

OLED is essentially every pixel has its own backlighting (or can be turned off). So, most expensive and best picture.

ULED and QLED are different ways of grouping your backlighting so that you get most of the advantages of OLED, without the cost. But essentially, they're not as good.

The real difference is in blacks and darker screens - you can get real differentiation with OLED, not so much with the other two.

But, regarding pricing, Good Guys and JB will both respond well if you ask them if there is movement on the price. But both will try the "extra warranty" and you will be paying for delivery and installation (unless you can take it yourself). Best way to get a good price is to do the October sales (Black something?). That's when both are best placed to offer you discounts, as they're backed up by the manufacturers and distributors. VideoPro look like they have good pricing at the moment (if they're offering free delivery and installation).

• Like 1