Emotiva amps - is it worth the risk of ordering?

Hi everyone 

I’m looking at buying a emotiva direct from the USA. Has anyone had any experiences they could share? Will I get stung with import tax? 

Cheers

John

D6F2FFE6-D524-4EEA-844C-5A458E7C8746.png

My guess is you would be paying a around $2200 AU landed.

I have not ordered for a while, but you normally pay 3 to 8% more on exchange rate. Then add the total including freight and then add around 12 to 15% on top for Customs/duties/whatnot charges once it comes into Australia.

This is just a guess on my end.

Then you have to way up what you can get in Australia around that price. There seems to be some great amps that pop up on here.

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

Personally I would purchase something like an Elektra locally over importing an Emotiva. You might pay a bit more, but you are getting a far superior amp in my opinion and I own a gen 3 Emotiva amp.

• Like 4

Yep, better options for the money than the stuff Emotiva churn out.

• Like 1

Yes, you will get slugged 10% GST on both the item and the shipping cost.

Cheers,

Alan R.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

the main problem with emotiva direct importing has always been repairs and support, which might possibly need. as end with an amp here which if needs support you some how need to get it sorted over the phone or via email. and they wont send parts or have a local repair facility that can fix them. the things like capacitors used in the emotiva are also not great and ask some techs who have worked on them what they think of them. So overall ends up costing quite a bit to get here when there are some pretty good options could buy instead new and 2nd hand. buying new clearly gets you support in case need any repair also consumer rights. an alternative could be looking 2nd hand ... as there will be some great examples 2nd hand you can get for similar money instead. so many good brands sold and supported locally and quite a bit goes through here 2nd hand.

id be wary buying a 3ch amp... they have rotten resale... kind like selling a 3 wheel car :D if determined to get a 3ch - one other option is a 3ch elektra theatre hd as they are fully expandable to 5 or 7ch. also here will get full support and repairs whether bought new or 2nd hand.. id just get the 7ch .. gives you 4 spare channels could use for 3D audio (dts-x, atmos, auro3d) if going that ways down the track ... 

• Like 6

Plus one for Elektra! I purchased an Emotiva xpa2 channel Gen 3 amp and had a problem with it. Emotiva were excellent in providing free parts to their recommended local repairer and I had to pay for the repairer’s time, but it took three months or so to get the parts. While I was waiting I purchased an Elektra 2 channel HD amp and it was significantly better for my b&w speakers. I have kept the Emotiva purely for home theater duties and it is fine for that, but the Elektra remains firmly in my two channel setup.

• Like 2
On 03/03/2021 at 9:53 PM, rocky500 said:

Then you have to way up what you can get in Australia around that price. There seems to be some great amps that pop up on here.

Yes patience is key ; My display stock 7ch Theater hd was under 2k ; the current new hd2 model is 4k ; importing and then sending back for warranty repairs is not cheap for a heavy power amp as rates rise these daysB|

• Like 1