WTB: JBL TLX18 loudspeaker or similar

Item:  JBL TLX18 3-WAY LOUDSPEAKERS
Price Range:
Item Condition: New or Used
Extra Info:

Hi Everyone, 

A bit of a long shot I know but would any of the SNA community know of anyone or have a pair of JBL TLX18 speakers for sale by chance?

I have a mid level system but have always appreciated the sound of them and they would be a good fit for my system.

I would appreciate decent quality dpeakers although I know as the speakers are around 30 years old, I am not expecting mint examples.

Thank you in advance for any leads you can provide. Respect to you all and the music.

Cheers, 

Mike 

Hi Mike,

Not TXL18's, but I have a pair of TLX6's if that's of interest?  Want $125.00 for them, I'm in Perth.

Regards,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks very much for your reply. Yes, I am interested. What condition are they in and given that I live in Melbourne, would you be prepared to freight them at my cost?

Thanks Ian.

Cheers, 

Mike 

Hi Mike,

Sorry for not replying earlier.  See the attached photo, there ok for the age no chips, a few minor scratches in the vinyl wrap, the plugs that hold the grilles in place are a little loose, I did re-cap them.

I can arrange shipping, although I have i do not have any boxes, do you know where i could get boxes made and the best freight company to use?

Regards,

Ian

IMG_0306.JPG

Hi Ian,

After exploring a couple of freight options and the risk of damaging the speakers in transit to Melbourne, I will have to politely decline your offer. Ahh, the tyranny of distance. 

I would certainly purchase them from you if I lived in Perth and I appreciate that you offered them to me at a good price.

The SNA community is great to be a part of due to people such as yourself, I am sure that they would sell just like that in the classifieds section, as they are great speakers, especially for that price.

Thanks once again Ian, I wish you well.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By :) Go Away (:
      Not sure if this is the right place for this topic.

Hey guys,

I have recently got a fixation on big woofers and Compression driver (high sensitivity speakers) for my stereo need. These JBLs are half of what I wanted (just no CD Tweeter but still with waveguide, not sure of their sensitivity) but I had always wanted to try them out, and I am glad I did. These are really amazing speakers and can't believe how low and deep these speakers can go and with neutral tone. They just sound sublime.

Anyway, I love these speakers, only gripe is that these are active speakers. I like and much prefer passive speakers as it allows me to try different amps, preamps and various room EQ (Room EQ is big for me). My current amp is not that great but it does come with amazing room EQ and sub out, it just integrates my speakers with sub so much better. Unfortunately, it does not have any preouts for speakers to use it with active speakers. 

What I am thinking is, may be I can make these active speakers into passive speakers by removing the back plate amp and adding a new passive crossover. This way I can have these amazing speakers with good room EQ and sub integration. All though, there is no need for adding a sub with these speakers as they go quite low as is but room EQ is something I want.

So, these leads me to asking, is there anyone who can help me build couple of crossovers for these speakers? Is it a right approach? 

What I have been able to find so far is that the cross over is specified as "1800Hz 4th order acoustic Linkwitz-Riley". 
    • By christianb
      Item Condition: Good Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Perth State: WA Payment Method: Reason for selling: Space  

Further information:
      I bought the speakers just before the beginning of the plague last year from Old Bloke and shipped them to WA . 
      custom made for JB ( John Barbuto) in the late 70ies. The cabinets are walnut veneered and up to 60 mm thick which contributes to their immense weight of approximately 150 kg each. The built quality is way beyond any usual commercial product.
      the drivers are:
      2215 15” woofers
      2420 compression drivers
      2309 horns with 2327 adapter and 2310 lens and
      2405 slot tweeters.
      all drivers are alnico. 
      Dimensions are 58 cm deep, 73 cm wide and 118 cm high.
      Despite the physical appearance they play very civilised with loads of details and impressive room even in my way too small room with 20 quality valve watts. Especially at low volumes you will get a very satisfying complete sound. You can also crank them off course until the doctor comes but there is a limit for my room , it just gets a bit overload with bass at higher levels. 
      this and the size are the reasons why I’m looking for something else.
      They work well with valves but should also with good SS amps. The previous owner used Metaxas amplification. 
      Old Bloke gave them a nice Schellack treatment before they came to me so they are looking good if you like the look of big proper speakers. I kept the protective grill over the woofers for the occasional dancing kid in my music room but they would certainly look better without.
      I thought of getting an autoformer network for them from Werner Jagusch which should bring them even further but I decided for a smaller solution. 

Photos: 

• By christianb
      Item Condition: Good Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Palmyra State: WA Payment Method: Reason for selling: Space Further information:
      I bought the speakers just before the beginning of the plague last year from Old Bloke and shipped them to WA . 
      they might have been custom made for JB ( John Barbuto) by JBL in the late 70ies. The cabinets are walnut veneered and up to 60 mm thick which contributes to their immense weight of approximately 150 kg each. The built quality is way beyond any usual commercial product.
      the drivers are:
      2215 15” woofers
      2420 compression drivers
      2309 horns with 2327 adapter and 2310 lens and
      2405 slot tweeters.
      all drivers are alnico. 
      Dimensions are 58 cm deep, 73 cm wide and 118 cm high.
      Despite the physical appearance they play very civilised with loads of details and impressive room even in my way too small room with 20 quality valve watts. Especially at low volumes you will get a very satisfying complete sound. You can also crank them off course until the doctor comes but there is a limit for my room , it just gets a bit overload with bass at higher levels. 
      this and the size are the reasons why I’m looking for something else.
      They work well with valves but should also with good SS amps. The previous owner used Metaxas amplification. 
      Old Bloke gave them a nice Schellack treatment before they came to me so they are looking good if you like the look of big proper speakers. I kept the protective grill over the woofers for the occasional dancing kid in my music room but they would certainly look better without.
      I thought of getting an autoformer network for them from Werner Jagusch which should bring them even further but I decided for a smaller solution. 

Photos: 

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.

• By TigerStripe
      Item Condition: Very Good Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Carindale, Brisbane State: QLD Payment Method: Paypal, Cash Reason for selling: Upgrade Further information: JBL LS80 Floorstanding 3-way loud speakers (pair) in mahogany. Designed in JBL's Northridge Speaker Test Facility, these LS80s are a part of the JBL Synthesis line making them stable mates with the legendary Everest series. These examples were purchased new in 2013, I am the single owner, they are in near perfect condition and have a visually stunning room presence. Never overdriven, always with a high pass crossover at 60Hz and powered using a quality Plinuis amplifier. The bi-radial horns have wonderful clarity and imaging, coupled with the 2 * 8" woofers making for a supreme listening experience.

Selling due to an upgrade to JBL's new HDI-3800 & HDI-1200P. Upgrade triggered due to the LS series matching subwoofer's internal amplifier failing (LS120P). This gave me the excuse I needed to upgrade to the new HDI series. This advertisement DOES NOT include the LS120P but I am open to discussion, image included for reference.

Includes grilles, hard surface floor pads, carpet spikes, original user guide and box packaging. Original packaging boxes are in average condition due to two house moves.

Pick up available (preferred), will ship anywhere in Australia at buyer's cost. I welcome an audition if you're close to Brisbane.

Sad to see them go....

Specifications:
      Design:3-1/2-Way, Ported Enclosure, Floor-Standing Drivers: One 0.75″ Polyester Film Tweeter, One 2″ Titanium Compression Horn Midrange, Two 8″ PolyPlas Woofers MFR: 46hz-38Khz (-3dB) Crossover Frequencies: 400 Hz (6dB/Octave); 2.5 kHz and 8 kHz (24dB/Octave) Sensitivity: 90 db (2.83 V @ 1 Meter) Maximum Power: 200 Watts Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms Dimensions: 44″ H x 10.4″ W x 16.5″ D  
      PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item

• By 5L15
      Item Condition: used Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: sydney State: NSW Payment Method: cash Reason for selling: not getting used/too big Further information:

I have had these speakers for about 5 years and were well suited to my old place which was spacious, sadly I needed to move 3 years ago and these were and still are too big for my current place.  I looked at these as my trophy speakers and couldn’t bare to part with them, so it’s taken me a while (yes 3 years) to come to the realisation that I can move them on and my world will not come crashing down on me (the panic attacks have subsided for now).

How often do factory T3’s pop up anywhere in Australia? which were re-foamed about 3 and a bit years ago($300).

Boxes have a couple of dings and a few plugs missing on the grill frames but it’s pretty much plug and play, oh and they still have the plastic raisers on the bottom that cut up your hand when carrying them.

Photos:

PLEASE READ