Sansui 555a speaker pairing & components recommendations

I have just become the owner of a Sansui 555A and would like some speaker and component recommendations. This is my first "dipping of my toes" in vintage hifi and I want this setup to reach its potential. Previously I have bought an amp and speakers (new) by audition, so this is back to front for me.  Intention now is to also buy a turntable, just unsure if I should go new or vintage to complete the look.  TT budget $1000 and similar for speakers.  Space is of no concern so bookshelf, standmounts or floorstanders are ok. My listening preference is varied with very limited heavy metal.  Room is 7m x 5m with a 3m ceiling.  I am about 80km from a city so auditions of recommendations need to be focused and planned. Thanks and I look forward to the responses to help me down the right path.

It’s not a very powerful amp 25w into 8 ohm or 33w into 4 ohm, see specs https://audio-database.com/SANSUI/amp/au-555a-e.html) so would need careful matching with an easier load speaker so as not to sound soft and lifeless. 

You would need to check each speakers minimum impedance load but for the budget some examples include high efficiency and easy load Kelly KT 2 & 3, various Spendor, Krix Lyrix early 1990-2000 versions, Wharfedale E70 or 90, Proac studio 100, Supertower and others.

• Like 1

Congratulations on the new arrival to your family. I'm sure the experience will be most enjoyable.

I have a 555A which is mainly used in my bedroom, but is currently performing duties in the main listening room.

I've found it does well with family members of a similar age group. Successful relationships have been with Mission, Celef, Kef and to a lesser extent Proac standmounts. The 555A has a sweet and warm disposition so be matching with slightly opposite natures is good. Try not to have too much bass as the overall effect might be a bit full.

Although the 555A does not have big numbers, it still puts out a solid sound, dependent on how loud you need to go. It is more of a warm, intimate sort of amp that does well with that type of music. You could also try with smaller Dynaudios such as the 42 and 52, although they can be a bit hard to find.

Fortunately the Sansui is not heavy and you should be able to cart it around for one on one testing.

Have fun,

G.

• Like 1

I've got an AU-505, refurb'd and 555 upgrades. Pair them with Altec 420A's(104-5)dB and Visaton TL-16H(106dB) tweeter, ok, it's not high end but can be had for under $1000 with crossover caps. Nice open sound, I don't mind turning off the consonance/osborn epitome gear.

• Like 1

I had the 555a, at one stage I had two of them I still miss them. 

I ran every pair of speakers I owned with the 555a until I passed them on,  but I don't listen very loud. 

The great thingabout the 555a is is has a pre-out and main input so you can add more power if you need.

Last week was a pair of AS200's sansui speakers for sale for a killer price that would have completed the look.

That said I preferred modern speakers with vintage amps and and vintage speakers with modern amps.

One of nicest looking amps ever made IMHO. especially with that amber glowing lamp.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thanks for your feedback it has given me a shortlist of speakers to seek out and listen to.  

Any thoughts on the turntable ?  I like the idea of vintage and was looking at a Luxman PD 264 but it needs a refurb.   Then I just thought maybe go new.   Thoughts ??