Why the two different CBS labels?

27 minutes ago, candyflip said:

Very common for this to happen, yes.

Oh well,   I am in clean & catalogue mode today.  This is a duplicate, so I will have to decide which is in best condition and ditch the other. :)    

I make it a point to play each new one, and I just popped on the blue label one.  Very nice, and near mint too.

Guest Eggcup the Dafter

I'm pretty sure the blue "Masterworks" one is actually a reissue, though if UK CBS practice is anything to go by, they just packaged a star's slower selling recordings this way and the disc is just later production from the same stampers. I'd guess the catalogue number is idetical if that's the case. I never handled enough Australian vinyl to find out, although the venerable Robinsons Records in Manchester (with the big ginger cat) sold pressings from all over the world and I had Australian pressings of some classical and jazz albums from there. 

19 minutes ago, Eggcup the Dafter said:

I'm pretty sure the blue "Masterworks" one is actually a reissue, though if UK CBS practice is anything to go by, they just packaged a star's slower selling recordings this way and the disc is just later production from the same stampers. I'd guess the catalogue number is idetical if that's the case.

I'll recheck numbers when it stops spinning :) 

15 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

13 Versions listed on discogs. You should be able to work out what pressings you have from this. Although only one is Australian and labels are not shown.

https://www.discogs.com/master/view/290519

Mine are that Australian number of course - both of them.  Only diff is the label.  Thanks

5 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Mine are that Australian number of course - both of them.  Only diff is the label.  Thanks

The definitive number for accuracy is the inscription on the runout groove 

• Like 1

Spot the difference eh?

The one on left has the capitalised 'John Williams' wording located further down on the cover from the top matching the discogs AU one and the USA master release.

Me thinks this is an earlier pressing and the better one to keep from the 2.

49 minutes ago, xlr8or said:

Spot the difference eh?

The one on left has the capitalised 'John Williams' wording located further down on the cover from the top matching the discogs AU one and the USA master release.

Me thinks this is an earlier pressing and the better one to keep from the 2.

Look closer, I don't think it is any different.  The right hand cover has some tape around it's edge making it look different. :) 

This is exactly why Discogs is a valuable resource. 

Both are Australian releases however, are separate. 

Doesn't seem to mean a lot with a 'John Williams and Friends' album but if you were to find a separate release of a Led Zeppelin or Beatles album people would be extremely appreciative of details to distinguish the difference. 

If you have the inclination you could add a new submission to increase the Discogs database. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Full Range said:

The definitive number for accuracy is the inscription on the runout groove 

This will often distinguish releases. 

However more often than not will distinguish recordings.

For example a new reissue will have the same matrix numbers (runout groove or label) as the original recording. But may have a different jacket, label or other identifying marks. 

These factory or pressing differences will denote a separate release. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

Look closer, I don't think it is any different.  The right hand cover has some tape around it's edge making it look different. :) 

Argh crap. I thought I had found a difference. Well spotted from your end. ?

• Like 1

I'll give this another shot. The label on the left says CBS Masterworks, which is typical of 1976 vintage. The discogs master release and 2 eBay AU listings show the distinct tan coloured label. The one on the right says CBS Records . Masterworks. In 1980, CBS changed their label to CBS Records. I think the one on the right may be a repress from the early 80's.

Not the same LP, here is an example of the later CBS Records label:

1BE03FAD-C590-4D20-8B30-201DD9B9CDFC.jpeg

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 1

Guest Eggcup the Dafter

Looking at this again it looks like you’re right. The label is a design change just indicating a later pressing. The stampers for each come from the same mother as the number on the runout is the same.

We can’t tell which is better just from this. In the UK there’s a good chance that the newer one would be from inferior vinyl but I wouldn’t know with an Australian pressing. An early pressing from a later stamper could be an improvement from a late pressing from the first stamper. Just keep the one that sounds best. 

9 hours ago, Eggcup the Dafter said:

We can’t tell which is better just from this. In the UK there’s a good chance that the newer one would be from inferior vinyl but I wouldn’t know with an Australian pressing. An early pressing from a later stamper could be an improvement from a late pressing from the first stamper. Just keep the one that sounds best. 

I have never seen any evidence of inferior quality vinyl in Australia, they just got thinner. In this case I can't tell the difference.   They sound the same too.  I think I'll keep the prettier label in the best condition sleeve  :) 

10 hours ago, xlr8or said:

I'll give this another shot. The label on the left says CBS Masterworks, which is typical of 1976 vintage. The discogs master release and 2 eBay AU listings show the distinct tan coloured label. The one on the right says CBS Records . Masterworks. In 1980, CBS changed their label to CBS Records. I think the one on the right may be a repress from the early 80's.

Not the same LP, here is an example of the later CBS Records label:

1BE03FAD-C590-4D20-8B30-201DD9B9CDFC.jpeg

The label image you have posted is a US release. AUS releases have different company info running around the perimeter

Guest Eggcup the Dafter
3 hours ago, aussievintage said:

I have never seen any evidence of inferior quality vinyl in Australia, they just got thinner. In this case I can't tell the difference.   They sound the same too.  I think I'll keep the prettier label in the best condition sleeve  :) 

That's good to hear if I ever go back to vinyl... They used a mix with recycled vinyl in the UK from the mid 70s onwards. It became a problem in the 1980s in particular because they stopped taking enough care cutting the labels out and you could sometimes see the paper in the grooves, even