Wheels Car of the Year 2021

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If WHEELS was an audiophile mag, they would be giving awards to  JB Hi Fi as high end hi fi dealer of the year.

Wheels and its COTY ceased to have any intelligence ,relevance or any semblance of thought stimulation about ten years back.   Cardogan may well be a chronic try hard who over plays his ( ve

A 250 km trip I regularly did as a child to Yorke Peninsula takes longer now than it did almost 70 years ago in the family FJ Holden.  My old man probably did it considerably faster 10 years prior to

Keen to see the feedback on the Ford Escape. Having just picked one up for my wife, I think its the best value for a performance medium SUV on the market. Every bit of tech, powerful engine, AWD for $10k less than the closest rival.

Judges will whinge about sporty ride being too sporty, but then praise that on a different car. I dont place any importance on these COTY things, but they are good for a laugh.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

I can't believe people actually pay attention to this guy.

His style is a tad grating but occasionally, as in this case, he's pretty much on the money.

• Like 2

Guest rmpfyf
4 hours ago, ArthurDent said:

His style is a tad grating but occasionally, as in this case, he's pretty much on the money.

Horses**t. His style is everything that's wrong with the internet, though I generally like your posts and your comment spurred me to actually review this missive. 

Nope, he's still wrong, massively so, making mountains out of molehills on small things and (completely) wrong with Wheels' lack of independence. He's old enough to have read earlier versions of Wheels enough to have researched and understood the COTY process and Wheels having actually pioneered objective motoring journalism in this country. But research would mean effort, effort would move Cadogan beyond being a hack and it's the sheer existence of Youtube that allows him bulk oxygen at all. 

He's carrying on as though he's just discovered independence issues in journalism and he's the sole scion of objectivity because he's somehow the only person corageous enough to carry on with vernacular sounding like a caricature of a sailor on the internet. He's a MAGA hat away from fitting a category. 

In truth he sounds like a bitter w****r that no one will reasonably loan a car to, blind to the irony that yes, whilst there are people masquerading as journalists that give lip service to objectivity and end up coming over way too positive, he's no more objective - his delivery differs is all. 

Wheels and its COTY ceased to have any intelligence ,relevance or any semblance of thought stimulation about ten years back.

Cardogan may well be a chronic try hard who over plays his ( very limited ) hand, but in this instance what he says about the publication and the award are chillingly true and the award to Mazda for the CX 30 being COTY is almost surreal.

Even in their attempted justification of motoring's ultimate cold custard, boring-as-batschit choice they even admitted and I quote "jack of all trades, master  of none", so apparently the way that any manufacturer can win this award is to build something that leaves those who enjoy driving, absolutely comatose.

God help us all.

• Like 4
Guest rmpfyf
2 minutes ago, rantan said:

Wheels and its COTY ceased to have any intelligence ,relevance or any semblance of thought stimulation about ten years back.

Cardogan may well be a chronic try hard who over plays his ( very limited ) hand, but in this instance what he says about the publication and the award are chillingly true and the award to Mazda for the CX 30 being COTY is almost surreal.

Even in their attempted justification of motoring's ultimate cold custard, boring-as-batschit choice they even admitted and I quote "jack of all trades, master  of none", so apparently the way that any manufacturer can win this award is to build something that leaves those who enjoy driving, absolutely comatose.

God help us all.

Here's a front door on your thesis: what Wheels used to represent as an industry is considerably less relevant today. 

That the auto industry fragmented quite a good ways as to what makes a car 'good' - particularly in Australia, the most (literally) fragmented market of the top 30 globally - is not Wheels' fault. I stopped buying Wheels when a journalist criticised a Lotus Elise for being 'uncomfortable' with respect to seating against an MX5 (a good bit more than 10 years ago). Wasn't aware we were comparing scalpels and lesser instruments as though the same thing. I loved the magazine when Bob Hall used to write that if engineers making vehicles really cared then a common s***box would handle like an MX5. I'd personally not buy a CX30 at all. Whilst it has no gross handling defects, it is a very marginal driver's car. Not my style. I can accept that it does what it's intended to do better than other vehicles intended to handle very well. 

The market for people seeking driver's cars has diminished significantly, and COTY is accordingly not weighted as so. CX30 is actually a fair winner. If it was designed to give handling joy and didn't, it'd be worthy of criticism. I used to work for a car company in Australia well known for making cars that didn't spark joy in handling generally, and we were routinely (at the time) pissed off at Mazda's ability to bring product to market that did better than our own for a simliar purpose at lower cost. 

To conflate this with automotive journalistic integrity last seen in the 50's is not correct.

Nothing chillingly true or otherwise in Cadogan's approach, sorry. The sadness is that he's plying a general loss of the state of motoring (as we move towards mobility, 'moving without being moved at all') in an on-brand whinge. 

If Cadogan was an audiophile he would only recommend soundbars because they represent good value, do everything fairly well and are unobtrusive.

All valid, but misses the point of the hobby. 

• Haha 2

If WHEELS was an audiophile mag, they would be giving awards to  JB Hi Fi as high end hi fi dealer of the year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
Guest rmpfyf
14 hours ago, rantan said:

Pretty reasonable place to get a soundbar tho :D 

17 hours ago, rantan said:

the way that any manufacturer can win this award is to build something that leaves those who enjoy driving, absolutely comatose.

God help us all.

This

18 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

He's old enough to have read earlier versions of Wheels enough to have researched and understood the COTY process and Wheels having actually pioneered objective motoring journalism in this country. But research would mean effort, effort would move Cadogan beyond being a hack and it's the sheer existence of Youtube that allows him bulk oxygen at all.  

He was actually in this motoring journalism game for most of his career, for various outlets. He knows first hand what’s going down, and he knows most pundits personally (the older ones, anyway).

• Like 1
19 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

He's old enough to have read earlier versions of Wheels

Actually, he's old enough to have freelanced for them... and Motor. I can't be bothered checking back but he probably participated in COTY judging some years ago when I actually still bought car magazines... Must be 15 to 20 years back now.

You might not like his style (I don't particularly either) but he's pretty spot on with opinion and facts. I just watched a new vid of his this morning (couldn't sleep) and I feel his style may be softening, which would be welcomed.

• Like 1
Guest rmpfyf
1 hour ago, davewantsmoore said:

This

Sadly that market is drying up. Very sadly. It's highly unlikely kids in 15-20 years will own a car, or even be interested in driving. I had this recently with a nephew for whom I found a pristine bugeye RS as a first car - $5k, fresh engine, Pedders coilovers, tinted windows, headers and nice exhaust. No. Why? 'Not an automatic, manual is effort'. 

We haven't spoken since. 

25 minutes ago, Steffen said:

He was actually in this motoring journalism game for most of his career, for various outlets. He knows first hand what’s going down, and he knows most pundits personally (the older ones, anyway).

I was actually in the automotive game for most of my career for various companies. 

John Cadogan has a reputation that's richly deserved. He's thrived on being a c*** and calling himself a journalist, which is not the same as being a journalist. Accordingly he has no clue what's going down, as no one will share anything with him. It's been like this for a long time now as John insists on being what he is. The industry will broadly risk objective criticism as the price of objective praise, but the industry has no objective need to seek a free kick in the nuts for no good reason from someone who is only programmed to do so. 

Inviting journalists to drive cars during the development process, let alone post-release, is pretty... normal. Has been for around 40+ years. The industry went from trying to hide the flaws of its products to being eager to make products that journalists would objectively praise a long, long time ago, as that is part of quality engineering, and is considered to be a good thing on everything from cost to sales/aftersales and back again. 

There is a trend at the wee, wee end of the industry in going back to a more isolated model or in weilding unmoderated 'influencer' perspectives - I don't like it, it's undeniably a growing market. Tesla doesn't have a PR liaison team anymore, for instance - and their customers don't care and wouldn't listen to any journalists anyway. A number of new brands are coming to market too lean to have resources to spare there, and people have never cared less about how cars actually drive, nor has there ever been a time where the proliferation of uneducated and/or unmoderated opinions has ever been greater. Cadogan is no different - plenty of positive infuencers out there, he's a negative influencer. You can trust paid influencers to give a certain opinion. You can trust John Cadogan to give a different certain opinion, for people wishing after simpler times to click, and he's paid on ad revenue. He is no more objective that the lack of objectivity he criticises. If you think influencers are useless hacks and Cadogan is somehow 'on the money', stop and think. He too gets paid to say something.

Wheels COTY was the first process in Australia to be an annual objective measure of what was new to market. Do you remember the years it wasn't awarded? Not Wheels fault the market has shifted. I'd be surprised if we have Wheels in 10 years. 

What is value to you is different to what is value to an increasing number of buyers. Getting angry at it - or praising people that do - pointless. 

7 minutes ago, blybo said:

Actually, he's old enough to have freelanced for them... and Motor. I can't be bothered checking back but he probably participated in COTY judging some years ago when I actually still bought car magazines... Must be 15 to 20 years back now.

You might not like his style (I don't particularly either) but he's pretty spot on with opinion and facts. I just watched a new vid of his this morning (couldn't sleep) and I feel his style may be softening, which would be welcomed.

Ha ha ha ha 'opinion and facts'. Yes, JC was an engineer and journalist. What does he do now? 

"I'm in a commercial partnership with one of the largest fleet management operations.

My mission is to get you into the right new car. The procurement team over at fleet management central delivers the discount."

You'd be kidding yourself to call him objective. He's operating a sales channel with negative marketing.

If Cadogan was a PC gamer he would buy a pre built because it 'does the job' 

If Cadogan was a photographer he would use the latest iPhone because the photos come out alright

If Cadogan was renovating his house he would go all white with timber floors

Cadogan uses Facebook 

Cadogan would order The Big Breakfast when at his local Cafe. But he doesn't go out because he can cook at home for much less

Cadogan thinks that Blend 43 is the perfect cuppa

Cadogan starts sentences with "I'm not racist but..." 

Cadogan watches FTA TV

Some of these also apply to me :)

3 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

Ha ha ha ha 'opinion and facts'. Yes, JC was an engineer and journalist. What does he do now? 

"I'm in a commercial partnership with one of the largest fleet management operations.

My mission is to get you into the right new car. The procurement team over at fleet management central delivers the discount."

You'd be kidding yourself to call him objective. He's operating a sales channel with negative marketing.

He is a journalistic you tuber.

I don't see how your response is relevant to my post. Everybody has bias to some degree. It is always up to the reader/viewer to come to their own conclusion. He bags the manufacturer of my car for the implied poor servicing/warranty work they do, but I still bought one as that has nothing to do with the quality of the car and mine has been faultless to this point in time.

2 minutes ago, RockandorRoll said:

If Cadogan was a photographer he would use the latest iPhone because the photos come out alright

No he'd probably use an android phone because he'd want to whinge about the iPhone probably about its specs or price... 😜

• Like 1
Guest rmpfyf
53 minutes ago, blybo said:

He is a journalistic you tuber.

I don't see how your response is relevant to my post. Everybody has bias to some degree. It is always up to the reader/viewer to come to their own conclusion. He bags the manufacturer of my car for the implied poor servicing/warranty work they do, but I still bought one as that has nothing to do with the quality of the car and mine has been faultless to this point in time.

He's a Youtuber reflecting commercial interests and isn't too transparent about them. 

He has a deal with a sales channel. You want a car, he will get it cheaper through his sales channel - if it's a car his channel has a good deal on, or at all sells. 

If he can't get a good deal on that car or has no access to it, don't expect a positive review. 

He does not state these interests in any of his videos. Partly as these interests change in time, partly because no one would take his 'style' seriously if he was upfront about it. 

Today Mazda CX30 shouldn't be COTY. Kewl JC. Might have something to do with Mazda not targeting the fleet market aggressively... 

1 minute ago, rmpfyf said:

He's a Youtuber reflecting commercial interests and isn't too transparent about them. 

He has a deal with a sales channel. You want a car, he will get it cheaper through his sales channel - if it's a car his channel has a good deal on, or at all sells. 

If he can't get a good deal on that car or has no access to it, don't expect a positive review. 

It's not hard to work out he has a good thing going with the Koreans. As I already said, there will always be financial biases, unfortunately it is a fundamental of the world we now live in and I see it everyday in my industry too. To be successful these days pretty much depends on how much you are willing to rip somebody else off.

21 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

He does not state these interests in any of his videos. Partly as these interests change in time, partly because no one would take his 'style' seriously if he was upfront about it. 

Today Mazda CX30 shouldn't be COTY. Kewl JC. Might have something to do with Mazda not targeting the fleet market aggressively... 

👆This - and still this guy doesn't get the irony of him calling out others for conflicts of interest.. 🤣

Edited by caminperth
Guest rmpfyf
1 hour ago, blybo said:

It's not hard to work out he has a good thing going with the Koreans. As I already said, there will always be financial biases, unfortunately it is a fundamental of the world we now live in and I see it everyday in my industry too. To be successful these days pretty much depends on how much you are willing to rip somebody else off.

I deal with a lot of salespeople too. 

Difference is they don't call themselves journalists or pretend to be objective.

Edited by rmpfyf

While all the comments about Cardogan may be accurate, this does not alter the fact that the thread title is WCOTY.  IMO he is a self serving smart arse pushing his own commercial interests.

However.

It would seem on any level of thought that this award is now a standing joke, given to any manufacturer for making something inoffensive, bland and underwhelming.

It merely rewards mediocrity and this year's award only enhances that idea.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, blybo said:

I am just quoting from his website.

Next time you fringe dwellers, in the comments, care to accuse me of being pro-South Korean cars, or even biased, I would retort: Yeah, dude. I am quite biased. 

What matters of course, with bias, is what informs that bias. If it’s a brown envelope full of cash under the table, or a fat advertising contract, that’s kinda bad.

Guest rmpfyf
Just now, rantan said:

It would seem on any level thought that this award is now a standing joke, given to any manufacturer for making something inoffensive, bland and underwhelming.

What makes a good car for you is not a good car for everyone.

If the 4-Series was a better 4-series than the CX30 was at being a CX30, it'd have won. 

Honestly thought it'd be quite tight between the CX30 and the GR Yaris. Seems to have played out as such. 

21 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

That the auto industry fragmented quite a good ways as to what makes a car 'good' - particularly in Australia, the most (literally) fragmented market of the top 30 globally - is not Wheels' fault. I stopped buying Wheels when a journalist criticised a Lotus Elise for being 'uncomfortable' with respect to seating against an MX5 (a good bit more than 10 years ago). Wasn't aware we were comparing scalpels and lesser instruments as though the same thing. I loved the magazine when Bob Hall used to write that if engineers making vehicles really cared then a common s***box would handle like an MX5. I'd personally not buy a CX30 at all. Whilst it has no gross handling defects, it is a very marginal driver's car. Not my style. I can accept that it does what it's intended to do better than other vehicles intended to handle very well. 

The market for people seeking driver's cars has diminished significantly, and COTY is accordingly not weighted as so. CX30 is actually a fair winner. If it was designed to give handling joy and didn't, it'd be worthy of criticism. I used to work for a car company in Australia well known for making cars that didn't spark joy in handling generally, and we were routinely (at the time) pissed off at Mazda's ability to bring product to market that did better than our own for a simliar purpose at lower cost. 

Guest rmpfyf
2 minutes ago, vinilink said:

I am just quoting from his website.

Next time you fringe dwellers, in the comments, care to accuse me of being pro-South Korean cars, or even biased, I would retort: Yeah, dude. I am quite biased. 

What matters of course, with bias, is what informs that bias. If it’s a brown envelope full of cash under the table, or a fat advertising contract, that’s kinda bad.

That bit I quoted on how he makes money? Also quoted from his website - and no different in intent.

If Wheels started selling certain cars and reporting negatively on others I'd expect expect Cadogan and many others to be rightly critical. 

Ironically Cadogan sells certain cars and reports negatively on others, and is critical of people that point this out. 

3 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

What makes a good car for you is not a good car for everyone.

Sorry and with due respect  this is nothing to do with what makes a good car for me.

What it is about is rewarding mediocrity.

4 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

That bit I quoted on how he makes money? Also quoted from his website - and no different in intent.

If Wheels started selling certain cars and reporting negatively on others I'd expect expect Cadogan and many others to be rightly critical. 

Ironically Cadogan sells certain cars and reports negatively on others, and is critical of people that point this out. 

When I watched one episode of Top Gear was  enough for me to put me off from watching it again as they were so biased with brands. Who knows they were getting kickbacks from them. Just my 2 cents.

Autoexpert: yeah, nah... Cadogen is the epitome of a W

Not a fan of his "style", not a fan of his channel, not a fan of him

Guest rmpfyf
48 minutes ago, rantan said:

Sorry and with due respect  this is nothing to do with what makes a good car for me.

What it is about is rewarding mediocrity.

Driven a CX30? It's a good car. I'd not buy one, but by objective measures... it's an excellent car, very sharply priced.

Guest rmpfyf
45 minutes ago, vinilink said:

When I watched one episode of Top Gear was  enough for me to put me off from watching it again as they were so biased with brands. Who knows they were getting kickbacks from them. Just my 2 cents.

I'd be reluctant to conflate entertaintainment with journalism.

2 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

No, he’ll get you (almost) any new car, even the ones he bags or recommends against. If, after watching the OP YouTube episode, you feel the urge of buying a new CX-30, he’ll get you one and likely with a hefty discount.

Re: Cadogan. I haven't had the pleasure before today, and I won't jump into the fray of the comments above, but to me there are two clear and complimentary business models at play here: Car broker, and YouTube audience to sell wares. 

Car brokers have a pretty wonderful business model. They make most of the cream that a car dealership makes, without most of their costs. They make a margin on the new car sold (yes, most make something on top of the discounted rate they source it for), a margin on your trade-in, a margin on the finance, and sometimes even charge you a fee for the privilege. No big showroom, no holding stock of cars, no keeping demos clean and maintained, none of that. I have a mate who does this - for decent operators it is a license to print money. 

Cadogan has obviously figured out that by being opinionated and divisive he can build an audience (of 290k subscribers). He only needs a sliver of that audience to use him as a broker in order for him to live happily ever after. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rantan said:

While all the comments about Cardogan may be accurate, this does not alter the fact that the thread title is WCOTY.  IMO he is a self serving smart arse pushing his own commercial interests.

However.

It would seem on any level of thought that this award is now a standing joke, given to any manufacturer for making something inoffensive, bland and underwhelming.

Yes sorry about that, got sidetracked with the Cardogan bashing. Similar to how he got sidetracked in the video talking about viewership numbers and waving his e-peen around. 

The Mazda 3 was once Australis best selling car. Its not a big leap to assume that one with raised suspension for old people and AWD for... dirt roads (?) would be a winner. But it should have lost based on rear seat capacity and anemic engines alone. It doesn't do a good job of what it needs to be good at. The fact that 3 judges mentioned that should be enough.

But as Cardogan points out, no one cares, no one watched and Wheels have cemented themselves as irrelevant.

• Like 1
Guest rmpfyf
1 hour ago, Steffen said:

No, he’ll get you (almost) any new car, even the ones he bags or recommends against. 

Yes, this is what brokers do.

1 hour ago, Steffen said:

If, after watching the OP YouTube episode, you feel the urge of buying a new CX-30, he’ll get you one and likely with a hefty discount.

HA HA HA ha ha ha um no. Gross misunderstanding of the auto industry there.

Mazda in particular. Extremely well known in industry for explicitly not targeting fleet sales. Cadogan doesn't get much biscuit on these.

1 hour ago, Topman_Chief said:

Car brokers have a pretty wonderful business model.

Absolutely they do. They uniformly hate Tesla (fixed price, no role for 'em). From the inside of the industry out, the volume and uniformity of said hatred is friggn spectacular. 

23 minutes ago, RockandorRoll said:

The Mazda 3 was once Australis best selling car. Its not a big leap to assume that one with raised suspension for old people and AWD for... dirt roads (?) would be a winner. But it should have lost based on rear seat capacity and anemic engines alone. It doesn't do a good job of what it needs to be good at. The fact that 3 judges mentioned that should be enough.

Have you actually driven one?

Do you really think that the AWD system... is for dirt roads? (No it's not)

Do you know any compact SUV that has mega rear seat capacity? (No, they're compact SUVs)

Is it meant to take off like a rocket? (No, it's a compact SUV. If you want a GLA45, go spend that money)

It doesn't need to go off road, have a capacious rear or go fast. You seem to have misunderstood it.

I'd have thought the GR Yaris would have taken COTY. CX30 isn't a poor car by any stretch however. Competes deservedly well in segment.

17 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

Have you actually driven one?

Nope, didnt fit a rear facing car seat so no point

Do you really think that the AWD system... is for dirt roads? (No it's not)

What is it for then? Driving pleasure, slippery roads? Why not just the standard Mazda 3 which has G vectoring

Do you know any compact SUV that has mega rear seat capacity? (No, they're compact SUVs)

Suzuki Vitara has really good rear seat space. It is well known that the Mazda 3 took a hit in this area with the re design. Headroom and leg room. Having sat in one and sat in a Vitara, the Vitara has more room.

Is it meant to take off like a rocket? (No, it's a compact SUV. If you want a GLA45, go spend that money)

Why not a Ford Escape.? Similar price point and half the 0-100 time.

It doesn't need to go off road, have a capacious rear or go fast. You seem to have misunderstood it.

Then what does it need to do that it accomplishes OVER the standard Mazda 3 (which is cheaper)? As someone who just shopped the segment and bought a product, it is an easy vehicle to misunderstand. Who is it for?

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

CX30 isn't a poor car by any stretch however. Competes deservedly well in segment.

Definitely competes well in its segment by which is populated with even more bland ,coma inducing competitors models.

It is alarmingly cynical. Get a bog standard Mazda 3  which is quite OK and a decent car in 2.5 L form but well and truly UNDER powered in 2.0L form.

Then add about 30mm to drive height and fit part time AWD, which makes it a lot heavier and is a thing that no buyer in this  segment  will  never need .

Added and not necessary weight increases fuel consumption and decreases performance, so we end up with is a decent Mazda 3 spoiled by added weight and higher COG, with worse performance and higher fuel consumption without any real advantage. THEN jack up the price by $5K and the joke becomes too  cynical to think upon

COTY material if ever I saw it.🤮

Edited by rantan
Guest rmpfyf
8 minutes ago, rantan said:

Definitely competes well in its segment by which is populated with even more bland ,coma inducing competitors models.

It is alarmingly cynical. Get a bog standard Mazda 3  which is quite OK and a decent car in 2.5 L form but well and truly UNDER powered in 2.0L form.

Then add about 30mm to drive height and fit part time AWD, which makes it a lot heavier and is a thing that no buyer in this  segment  will  never need .

Added and not necessary weight increases fuel consumption and decreases performance, so we end up with is a decent Mazda 3 spoiled by added weight and higher COG, with worse performance and higher fuel consumption without any real advantage. THEN jack up the price by $5K and the joke becomes too  cynical to think upon

COTY material if ever I saw it.🤮

No one that buys one of these cars gives a toss about performance. No one. 

Plenty of people buy these cars for the same reasons they buy base level Imprezas - they're not going to take them off road, they want to think they feel a little safer, and they like sitting up high. They are not concerned with fuel consumption. 

It is a frankly awesome expression of understanding a target customer and engineering accordingly. No way in hell I'd buy one, but I respect those that do. 

22 minutes ago, RockandorRoll said:

Nope, didnt fit a rear facing car seat so no point

What is it for then? Driving pleasure, slippery roads? Why not just the standard Mazda 3 which has G vectoring

Suzuki Vitara has really good rear seat space. It is well known that the Mazda 3 took a hit in this area with the re design. Headroom and leg room. Having sat in one and sat in a Vitara, the Vitara has more room.

Why not a Ford Escape.? Similar price point and half the 0-100 time.

Then what does it need to do that it accomplishes OVER the standard Mazda 3 (which is cheaper)? As someone who just shopped the segment and bought a product, it is an easy vehicle to misunderstand. Who is it for?

It's for people that like to sit higher than they do, feel what they think it 4WD-ish, drives better than the Vitara and the like. It's certainly appointed quite well, material qualities are very good and the like. 

It is for people that are not you, and not me either. That doesn't mean the people involved don't exist. The market for people that like this sort of car is growing rapidly. 

Whatever else may be wrong with the CX30 I think it looks goods and has a lovely interior.  That, matched with Mazda's strong reliability and generally good handling would mean it would get on my shortlist if looking for a smallish SUV/high riding hatch.  I would not call it mediocre and its not as if there was a field of 'outstanding'  cars released last year that it was competing against.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

t is for people that are not you, and not me either. That doesn't mean the people involved don't exist. The market for people that like this sort of car is growing rapidly.

Very regrettably correct.

They are merely victims of marketing and the herd mentality

Edit: just for context . I  have owned at least 6 Mazda vehicles over the years and all of them were excellent vehicles and they are one of my favourite affordable brands.

Edited by rantan