Whatmough 201 speaker purchase reassurance I mean 'advice' required!

Hi folks, as I slowly release my emotional attachments to other things audio I have purchased these old girls today for the princely sum of $300. Obviously limited info online of course but I'm not expecting a leadlined/export set here. Just hoping I haven't paid too much for them. I'm picking them up tomorrow and committed to the sale. I'm sure they're lovely sounding and look very well cared for! Opinions encouraged and appreciated. Many thanks. Tim  🙂

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

• Like 1

having a quick look through the classifieds, I found two lead-line version  ads. One advertised at $675 and one at $1200

And one regular version at $500

So $300 looks like a good price (or a super bargain if they are indeed the leadlined)

In any event, they are an awesome speaker that would probably see off pretty much any competition at $300.

Enjoy 👍

15 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

having a quick look through the classifieds, I found two lead-line version  ads. One advertised at $675 and one at $1200

And one regular version at $500

So $300 looks like a good price (or a super bargain if they are indeed the leadlined)

In any event, they are an awesome speaker that would probably see off pretty much any competition at $300.

Enjoy 👍

Thankyou! I assumed it was a good deal and they look lovely so I'll report back when I hook em up tomorrow! I appreciate ure research too  🙂

• Like 1

Make sure you sit them on decent stands at the right height.

I recommend tweeters around ear level and on the inside as a good starting point with some toe in as required.

Check that no bolts and/or screws are loose.

Stick some blu tack under the cabinets to secure to stands.

Will respond to quality amplification but don't go silly with SPL's or you'll fry them.  

Edited by JohnL

Just now, JohnL said:

I recommend tweeters around ear level and on the inside as a good starting point with some toe in as required.

Will respond to quality amplification but don't go silly with SPL's or you'll fry them.  

Thanks John - no stands so that will be my next job. I'll elevate them regardless initially to enjoy them once set up!

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, JohnL said:

Check that no bolts and/or screws are loose.

Stick some blu tack under the cabinets to secure to stands.

take heed to what john said about overpowering them or trying to impress the neighbours, i bought a new pair of 202i lead lined export models off colin,i blew the tweeters twice,colin asked me what amp i was using with them when i said i had them hooked up to ME 1500 well the look on his face said it all,beautiful sounding speakers just be carful with the go button,at $300 an absolute bargain.

• Like 1

Wow, they are beautiful. You can't go wrong with Whatmough believe me. You got a great deal! If you don't like them I'll be first in line ;) 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

take heed to what john said about overpowering them or trying to impress the neighbours, i bought a new pair of 202i lead lined export models off colin,i blew the tweeters twice,colin asked me what amp i was using with them when i said i had them hooked up to ME 1500 well the look on his face said it all,beautiful sounding speakers just be carful with the go button,at $300 an absolute bargain.

All good Ray, I'm a 51 yr old bloke who shares a house with the 56 yr old owner. Our days of loud music parties are sadly well over (and the babes that came with it) I'm buying them for the quality and nostalgia - they won't be played hard, just enjoyed 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, timmyq said:

All good Ray, I'm a 51 yr old bloke who shares a house with the 56 yr old owner. Our days of loud music parties are sadly well over (and the babes that came with it) I'm buying them for the quality and nostalgia - they won't be played hard, just enjoyed 🙂

You're not old yet mate! I'm 48 and my wife is 55 and I crank my 200w/ch amp haha 😉

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

You're not old yet mate! I'm 48 and my wife is 55 and I crank my 200w/ch amp haha 😉

^ How cool's this bloke!

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

@timmyq I'm just starting to surf again too after a 20 year break 😬 :afro:

And this bloke! 😛 

4 hours ago, timmyq said:

Hi folks, as I slowly release my emotional attachments to other things audio I have purchased these old girls today for the princely sum of $300. Obviously limited info online of course but I'm not expecting a leadlined/export set here. Just hoping I haven't paid too much for them. I'm picking them up tomorrow and committed to the sale. I'm sure they're lovely sounding and look very well cared for! Opinions encouraged and appreciated. Many thanks. Tim  🙂

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Great Buy for $300 - will be better than most things you buy for $1000 new.
Can you make a copy of the brochure and manual and post on this site?

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, misternavi said:

Great Buy for $300 - will be better than most things you buy for $1000 new.
Can you make a copy of the brochure and manual and post on this site?

Yeah u betcha I can! I'll knock it up for all tomorrow and add it here.  🙂 Thanks for ure input too

Edited by timmyq
spell error
  • Like 1

Those tweeters are now incredibly hard to find replacements for so make sure you take care of them! Otherwise they look to be in superb condition - drivers, cabinets and all.

Get some proper stands and enjoy

• Like 1

Hi Tim, 

- My old manual and brochure are attached.  Pricing caught my eye on the brochure.  Base model was $1295.  I believe the Export (not lead lined according to the brochure) was $1895.  Both were supplied with timber stands.  Opting for a lead filled metal stand instead of the timber added $105 (these were the stands with circular pillars).  Pricing was from Audio Synergy in Perth

- I tried three different stands with my base model 201s.  CIrcular pillar stands filled with lead shot were the best.  Similar height square pillar stands with angled tops were good.  Tall slim pillar stands from Audiofurn were ok.

- I recall looking for tweeter options when I had them. The Focal TC120TD5 appeared popular but were hard to find.  the TC120TDX2 was more readily available when I was looking but price didn't make sense to me.  I also remember someone asking Colin Whatmough about upgrades and he suggested buying new speakers!

- At the same time I had the 201s, I also had some comparatively expensive Polks.  I far preferred the 201's  sound and sold the Polks. 

- I liked listening to the 201s with plenty of space around them.  They sounded  spot on with an old Arcam amp I had.  A modern high power amp and some class D monoblocks did them no favours.

Hope it was of interest.

Whatmough 6.jpg

Centre stand 10.jpg

Centre stand 9.jpg

Centre stand 222.jpg

Centre stand 444.jpg

201 - brochure.pdf 201 - manual.pdf FOCAL_TWEETER_TC120TDX2.pdf TC120TD5.pdf

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Great advice @Dalspec Many thanks for all that quality info. Hmmm on reading the brochure I wonder if mine are the Exports since they have the wooden finish rather than black vinyl...Nahhh not bi-wired at the rear.   🙂

Edited by timmyq
add info