AV & Stereo audio journey: Lenehan MLT3s / Budget amp / KEF LS50s vs Studio Monitors

This began as a question thread but it's kinda evolved into my audio journey with reviews and comments on things that I'm learning along the way.

Update 25/5/21: My new Lenehan MLT3s 

So I have a pair of passive Q 3020i that are my current surrounds, and rather then flog them for $200 or whatever they're worth, I thought I would gift them to my parents, who have never had any home theatre audio that didn't come from the crappy inbuilt TV sound, not even a sound bar.

They don't want "another box" so I'm looking for something that is smaller than a standard receiver, that just does the job, and something secondhand is fine as long as it's easy to find.  I also need some help figuring out where to plug it in, and what connection to use.

Their current pathway is Sony Bravia dumb-TV circa 2013 -> HDMI -> Foxtel IQ 2.  They watch Foxtel 95% of the time but still the speakers need to work on the "TV" input.  They don't need 5.1, they don't need eARC, 4-6 HDMI inputs, or room EQ, etc, etc, just 2.0.

I'm still feeling like a beginner on my audio journey, but just won an eBay auction for some KEF LS50s with stands for $1009, so after I did a happy dance that no one sniped me and I got a great price......I'm thinking of moving my Q Acoustic Concept 20 fronts to become my surrounds instead of selling them, because the stands are just way too nice: https://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/q-acoustics-concept-20-40-loudspeakers

I'm still just learning about audio separates so I don't know what else I can get besides an AV receiver, or if my only option is any old receiver that accepts HDMI and it has to be a standard receiver size box. 

I am reading about audio everyday and learnt just today that my Pioneer VSX 932 is now not up to the job that I want, because it doesn't have front pre-outs, because my next step is getting separates to run the LS50s. If I want one which will handle a future 120hz OLED then I need to spend $3000 on a Denon Receiver, so I'm heading down the slippery slope, lol.

Cheers!

Edited by Zanny

"budget" perhaps I need to clarify, I need a solution preferably $100 or less.  They don't need audio fidelity, just a taste of channel separation and what a proper tweeter and woofer can do....  so they can be motivated to buy the LS50s off me when I upgrade next time.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zanny said:

"budget" perhaps I need to clarify, I need a solution preferably $100 or less.  They don't need audio fidelity, just a taste of channel separation and what a proper tweeter and woofer can do....  so they can be motivated to buy the LS50s off me when I upgrade next time.

The LS50 are reviewed and from personal experience are demanding speakers meaning they go below 4 ohm load giving amps a harder time to sound better. Many owners who didn’t consider this have given up on them as being average sound. The Pioneer av will probably drive them but not sound good, such cheap HT amps are notorious for sounding very bland.

Your cheapest option is a vintage NAD 3020 for around $100-250 or similar amps that have high current delivery at 4 ohm speaker load. I am currently using such amp very successfully but it won’t allow you to setup HT more than two stereo speakers. You will need to see how to make it work and operate a subwoofer signal feed for all inputs. Other older NAD (3020 tradition derivatives) amp and other brands though more money may do like models 3120, 3140, 3150, C320bee and C325bee.

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

Thanks.  That's the thing with my audio journey, I thought my stuff was good enough, until I upgraded and realised that it wasn't.

In January I bought PreSonus R65 active studio monitors for my PC and in Feb a T10 Temblor sub and it absolutely annihilates the quality of my home theatre.  So it is a shame the Pioneer will make the LS50s sound below average, I might have to meditate on how to fix this issue while waiting for a few more paychecks.  At least at $1009 the LS50s with stands are not gonna drop in value anytime soon.

Getting back to my parents solution, so I have 3020i and I have regular speaker cable.  I guess I can use banana plugs with them?  I have never used banana plugs before.  And then I plug an optical cable from the back of the TV into a mini-DAC/AMP (but not headphone AMP) like is reviewed here? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?forums/digital-to-analog-dac-review-and-discussion.10/

I then plug the pin side of the banana plugs into speakers, and then the banana side plugs into the RCA on the DAC/AMP?

Edited by Zanny

27 minutes ago, Zanny said:

plug the pin side of the banana plugs into speakers, and then the banana side plugs into the RCA on the DAC/AMP?

Yes or bare wire jammed firmly.

Long term perhaps lookout for stereo amps that have hometheatre bypass connection allowing both to operate. There are many posts about this.

Edited by Al.M

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out this integrated amplifier thing.

1) I can't find anything decent online under $250.  I've looked on Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace and eBay in Victoria.

2) I made a mistake with the AV receiver I bought 2 years ago, it doesn't have Home Theatre Passthrough Pre Out section for fronts, only subwoofer, so I can't run the KEF LS50s on an integrated amplifier and easily use them in my surround system.  I also don't have the space to have them sitting beside my current Concept 20 fronts.

3) These integrated amplifier tech is giving me a headache.  Now you also have "network receivers". I don't need to plug in a record player, CD player, I just want to connect the speakers to my TV, and then stream from my NVidia Shield or whatnot.  Or connect to my PC, via my USB audio interface or FiiO E10K to play FLACs, MP3s, and multimedia content and gaming.

I can go for something vintage, but then I can't plug it into my computer via USB, or connect easily via bluetooth, or wifi.  Then you have newer ones but they only do 1 or 2 of BT/WiFi/USB, and then they cost $600-$999.  Or you have all these tiny devices that confuse me, are they a DAC, or an amplifier?  Like the Dayton Audio DTA-2.1 or the SMSL, or other little devices, do these provide quality audio that will let me hear the difference from my AV receiver?  Or is this the solution for my parent's 2.0 setup?

My thought at the moment is that I get something vintage and connect it via RCA cables to my Behringer UMC204HD to my PC, and A/B test the LS50s vs my active studio monitors.  Is this the way to go?  To the "playback outputs"?  I have the PreSonus R65s connected via XLR to the "main outs" - here is the manual: https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/sys_master/he1/hdc/8849614274590.pdf

However, then I can't plug in the powered subwoofer - T10 Temblor so the KEFs will be lacking bass.

Looking at Yamaha WXA-50 ($594) which has USB/Wifi/BT but unsure of audio fidelity but has a warranty and covers all bases.  Or Cambridge Audio AXA35 without digital ($699)

Edited by Zanny

I'd be surprised if the old Sony TV doesn't have RCA analogue or a headphone jack? 

How decent do you need. The old Inkel on Gumtree for $150, while not great, isn't crap. You can buy worse new. Rated at 280W max and images OK on Lenehan ML1+Rs.  I had one that blew in a power spike. 

Edited by DrSK

I change the title of this thread because I went off on a tangent from my original concept which was to discuss hooking up my old speakers to my parent's TV.

I was hunting for a week to find a decent amp, and was setting my eyes on buying something expensive, but there were a few Pioneer A-109's popping up for around $200.

The main place with good feedback were Amazon UK reviews: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-A-109-40w-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00005OOJF

Then lo and behold, someone in Melbourne posted one for $95, so I told the guy "absolutely" and few days later drove nearly 2 hour round trip to grab it.  

Pioneer
Product Specifications
  • Signal to noise ratio
91dB Line
  • Dimensions (HxWxD) in mm
114x420x307
  • Finish
Black
  • Input impedance
50K Ohm
  • Frequency Response 1
20Hz to 20kHz
  • Rated distortion
0.08%
  • Rated output power
40 Watts per Channel
  • Power Consumption
80 Watts
  • Weight
4.3kGs

I found some spare monster speaker wire, and plugged my new KEF LS50s in today and played "All along the watchtower" and wow, it's like Jimi Hendrix is right in front of me.

I like this Amp / KEF LS50 combination.....  do I like it more than the Active Studio Monitors and sub combo - R65s and T10? 

Maybe just maybe this is going to be better for near field, a warmer sound, more dynamic and less analytic and without the active hissing noise, because I have a small space and have to run the R65s about 1m away from my ears.

I've started A/B testing, with the PreSonus R65s via the UMC204HD and the LS50s + Pioneer amp via a FiiO E10K DAC.  

I have PC software called EarTrumpet which sits in the system tray and I can switch quickly.

I'm not a professional audio reviewer obviously, and I've started reading a book called "How to Listen to Jazz" https://www.amazon.com.au/How-Listen-Jazz-Ted-Gioia/dp/0465060897  that I bought recently.  In that, the critic writes that he moved to Napa and was reading a famous wine critic and how he reviews wine using superlatives but when he drank, the music critic personally knew wine was good or bad, but couldn't tell the difference between 90 points vs 96 points etc.

Jennifer Hudson's "And I am Telling You I'm Not Going", when played through the LS50s + Pioneer amp via a FiiO E10K DAC, it's just got such a nice warm feeling in the mids.  It's like I actually feel more connected to the song, to Jennifer Hudson and to the music.   Then I flip the switch EarTrumpet and play the same song through the R65s and it's night and day. 

The AMT driver, I really like the highs of the R65s.  But it's only now I plug in the LS50s that I understand why studio monitors are so analytical.  Even with the T10 Temblor 10" subwoofer.  

Switching to something else, Major Lazer's "You're No Good" at low volume, before my girlfriend throws something at me.... the Uni-Q Driver with the dual concentric drivers.... I really thought the AMT driver would be better, but man, at low volumes, the sound just feels so connected between the low, mids and highs.

But I think I can tell very quickly that I made a mistake getting the studio monitors.  They sounded fantastic back in Jan/Feb but I think these LS50s are really juicy.  

Switching the to the first 30 seconds of Alabama Shakes "Hold On", the bass guitar is a lot better with the T10 Temblor.  If I can pair the sub with the LS50s I'd be pretty happy.  I think I need an RCA to TRS cable or RCA to XLR.

Edit - OK now maybe I'm being a total wanker, but I played half of the album Version by Mark Ronson before I discovered that I had two copies, one MP3 and one FLAC, as I am starting to only download FLAC.  I can actually hear a difference between MP3 and FLAC.  Now maybe this is just the fact that they were ripped at different volumes, but I really think the trumpets in Just [Mark Ronson feat. Phantom Planet] are improved sonically in the FLAC version.

Edited by Zanny

I think I can't connect the T10 active sub to the old receiver, because the audio path is PC -> USB DAC -> 3.5mm to RCA cable -> integrated amp -> speaker wire -> KEF LS50s.  

The sub has no high-level inputs to plug in the passive speakers.

So my other thought, is to steal the Gallo Acoustics TR-1 Subwoofer that I have in the living room.  Here is a photo: 

So I posed the question but after a few hours I figured it out.  I ignored the high-level inputs and just used the outs from the intergrated amp into the RCA Line In on the sub-woofer, and then Line-out to the DAC and it's working, yay :D

Edited by Zanny

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, it's been a couple of weeks and I'm back.  What's new is that I bought a used NAD 356bee intergrated amp from ebay and got it shipped for about $340 all up. 

Good price seeming it does/used to retail for $1k, just that this unit has some LEDs not working on the front and the remote control is missing.  But I just use it connected to my PC so that's not an issue.

So I couldn't get the T10 Temblor subwoofer working with passive speakers.  So I moved the smaller TR-1 I mentioned to my PC setup and the current audio path is PC -> FiiO E10K USB DAC -> 3.5mm to RCA cable -> Line Out on TR-1 Subwoofer -> RCA to RCA from Line In on TR-1 -> NAD 356bee amp -> speaker wire -> KEF LS50s.

It sounds really good, but my only issue is that the volume control knob on the NAD does not have any effect on the subwoofer.  So if I turn the bass up too high directly on the back of the sub, but then want to turn down the volume of the music, the sub keeps going. 

I guess I am doing something wrong and need to use the pre-out connections on the back of the amp.  But there are jumpers between the main-in and the pre-out and I don't have enough experience to figure this out. 

Alternatively, the sub (see picture on previous post) has high level speaker in/out but I'm not sure which way I should wire this.

Please help me!

Edited by Zanny

Update: Wish a bit more research and fiddling thanks to this page I have it working properly now I think.

I've switch from using RCA to RCA cable to using some speaker wire and the high level inputs/outputs on the Sub.

PC -> FiiO E10K USB DAC -> 3.5mm to RCA cable -> NAD 356bee amp -> speaker wire -> TR-1 Sub Speaker Level IN -> speaker wire from Speaker Level OUT -> KEF LS50s.

Now the subwoofer level is matching the speakers!  Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Guest dr_carl

Hi, you normally need to use the high level inputs in parallel to the speakers. So each speaker terminal has two wires leading from it, one going to the speaker, the other going to high level in on the sub. 4 wires in all. 

Your sub might be OK the way you describe, since the sub has speaker out connections. Read the manual carefully and follow the wiring recommended in that.

You'll still probably adjust the sub volume independently due to differences in recordings, but once you have it set for an album you're good for that album. Hence shuffling play lists can be a pain due to each song's different bass level.

There is no silver bullet that means you can set and forget.

24 minutes ago, dr_carl said:

There is no silver bullet that means you can set and forget.

Que??

The (single) sub on my #2 system is fed by R&L outputs from my preamp;  R&L outputs from the preamp also feed the amp which powers my mains (actually, standmounts).

So my preamp volume knob ... controls the volume coming out of my standmounts and the sub.  The sub volume control allows me to adjust the relative loudness of sub vs. standmounts.

The (stereo) subs on my #1 system are also fed from the preamp - so it controls their volume; the relative volume level of subs vs. mains is adjusted by the subs' volume control.

In both cases, I am rolling off the mains to match the roll-on of the sub(s).

Andy

Edited by andyr

Well, my desktop setup is working well all week now, with the high level inputs/outputs, the sub levels increase and decrease to match the speakers, all controlled by the knob on the NAD amp.  

I also discovered, it sounds better if I leave all volume levels on the windows PC at maximum - meaning the DAC, the windows control system and individual apps, such as YouTube or MPC-HC.  As much as possible, I leave those at max now and just adjust volume with the amp knob.

So I think I can rest easy now that this setup is as good as it will get for the time-being without spending additional money on a better DAC, and better when talking about DAC is a topic in itself.

I was recently reading about the 600 XD which are active DSP floorstanders and there is an excellent review here, which helped me learn a bit more about audio: https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/dynaudio-focus-600-xd-loudspeaker-review/

Especially how the reviewer discussed the time coherence and how tweeters are so much faster than woofers.  Like most subjective things with audio, only by purchasing gear and listening and learning do you start to understand this in real life.  An example is how I switched from PreSonus R65s which are active studio monitors with AMT tweeters and 6.5" woofers.  When I switched to KEF LS50s which have the Uni-Q array of dual-concentric drivers, I could hear the difference.  Reading about time coherence, I think that is why I subjectively believe the LS50s are "better", even in near-field which you may assume less of an impulse response.

So now I am back to figuring out how to improve my home theatre.  What is missing is "audiophile-quality sonics" - At the moment I have a Pioneer VSX-932 AV receiver plugged into an Hisense 55" 55PX OLED TV and use an NVIDIA Shield to watch content which is stored primarily on my gaming PC and provided via a PLEX library and distributed over 802.11c which can handle 4K HDR streams with no issues.

The speakers I am currently running is all Q Acoustics gear which I purchased before I knew much about different kinds of tweeters and woofers, or frequency ranges and other things.  I have Concept 20s with stands as my fronts, and a 3090i centre and 3020i as rears.  I also have Gallo Acoustics Micro SE as my atmos heights, on top of slim IKEA shelfs.  Lastly, I have a sub-woofer plugged into the sub pre-out, namely the PreSonus T10 Temblor I mentioned in this thread previously.  

Yesterday I watched the Snyder cut of Justice League and the T10 makes a big difference over the Gallo Acoustics TR-1 sub, you can really feel the rumble.  The Gallo is better suited to my PC area so it was a good swap.  

I'm pretty settled on replacing the LCR with Wharfedale Evo gear, as I mentioned the other day here: 

As I cannot see a better deal under $3000. 

What my issue is, is that the Pioneer receiver does not have pre-outs besides the sub.  I think I need to budget for getting better watts to the Wharfedales before I order them.  I purchased the Concept 20s because of rave reviews, but I think that without a decent amp, they are limited and hence why I was not impressed by them, once I plugged in the R65s studio monitors.   

But I have already decided regardless, that my next upgrade path needs to be better LCR and move the Concept 20s to the surround position, and to do that, I need to either upgrade my AV receiver or another solution.

Any advice would be good.  At the moment I have the single HDMI cable going from the TV to the receiver and then to the Nvidia Shield.  I don't have any other devices like bluray player or CD/phono, or gaming console nor do I plan to.  I also don't plan to do any AAA gaming on the TV so don't need HDMI 2.1, VRR and so forth because if have a 38" Nano-IPS monitor on my PC at 3840x1600 and a 3060ti which is good enough for now.

I just want good watts going from the 7.1 surround using Atmos/DTS:X and similar codecs to get the best of the speakers, and at max I want to spend another $1000 or $2000 to make that happen.  I am fearful if I do a straight sale of the VSX-932 and replacement with a superior AV receiver, I will still lack the audio quality one would get from an integrated amp.  My only option seems to be to get a similar AV receiver to what I have now, about $500-$800ish new or used, but one that has pre-outs, and then get an integrated amp to run the LCR, like this one for sale in the classifieds: 

And here is a list of AV receivers with pre-outs: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html?home_audio_key[]=Mulit-Channel Preout

Whaddya think?

Edited by Zanny

• 1 month later...

Well another six weeks have passed and I've significantly upgraded my audio setup, and I'm very, very happy! 

This was by far the biggest audio purchase I've ever made.  In 2018 at the start of my journey, my AV receiver + initial atmos + surround speakers + subwoofer total was only about $2000.

I chose to purchase the Lenehan MLT3's which were advertised on the classifieds for quite a while.  I am really good at internet research and have a lot of time on my hands, so I have been deep-diving into floorstanders, as well as which AV receiver to upgrade to.

Here is a picture of them, from another user:

pulse-image-1621903818106.jpg.511ccff0bdb71d3ccabbf0a15a947442.jpg

What is funny about these specific speakers, is there is no product page!  So I had to claw specs and info a chunk at a time with my fingernails, going over every comment in multiple threads going back six years.....

If I can quote @Celts88, he said here: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-ML5-Reference-Speakers

"For those not from the Land downunder ML speakers are from Mike Lenehan who is based on the Gold Coast, Queensland (Ashmore). He's a small time manufacturer, but is extremely well known in the Australian Hi-Fi industry, has a pretty loyal following (me included) and sells his speakers 99.99% by word of mouth (if you looked at his website you would know why as it looks like it came out at the same time as Noah's Arc).

Well as he's a one man band (his sons help, and believe he may have one more person helping periodically) he changes (tweaks) his designs regularly - if he tinkers with something and it works then that goes into the next speakers, with a relatively small uplift to cover the additional costs. He's actually his own worst enemy as he should be charging so much more for his speakers, and especially for all the tweaks he keeps building into them, but he's an honest bloke who is dedicated to what he does and is proud of the products he makes (nothing wrong with that, along with all the other small manufacturers around the world)."

Now that I was quite happy with my PC / man cave setup (KEF LS50s and NAD 326bee via Fiio E10K DAC) - I knew I really needed to upgrade my living room fronts consisting of Q Acoustics Concept 20s, which sounded miserable compared to my LS50s.  With a budget of about $4000 max, my choices were between:

• Used pair of Paradigm Signature S6 with a problem with the paintwork for $3700 with eBay voucher.  
  • Brand new Wharfedale Evo 4.4s and matching centre, shipped from the UK for about $3000
  • Or Lenehan Audio MLT3s on the classifieds for $2900
  • I also went to Sight and Sound Galleria near my work in Camberwell (VIC) and listened to Dynaudio 600XD reduced to $8k and Kanta 2 reduced to $10k so that I had something high-end to compare with.

I thought the Dynaudio sounded terrible, just a muddy bass, and no enjoyment.  Did not really have great placement in the showroom which could be the issue.  The Kanta 2s were fantastic, sounded like what I imagine $10k+ speakers should sound like but I would have to save up for ages to get them.  

But the more research I did into Lenehan Audio, the more I started to like this option.  Just having so many threads and comments from various users on this forum who believe that most things built by Mike sound amazing, and the fact that his speakers are usually sold for much higher prices.  It just seems like a lot of value in getting hand crafted, aussie made MLT3s with a lot of time and energy spent in the construction of the enclosure, good drivers, great paintwork, and tweaking of the crossover, with an original RRP of $8,990 in 2015 - I was happy to pick them up for $2900..... this specific pair has now passed through four users of this forum I think, and there is not a scratch on the magnesium paintwork.

I know floorstanders are subjective, but trying to gather some comparison between the options I was considering is something like this:

Lenehan Audio MLT3s - Made in Australia, no product page(!), between 68 to 74kg for the pair, 88 dB, Freq. Res. from 25 Hz, down-firing bass port.

2-way with 1" chambered Textile Dome tweeter, (I think it is the Wavecor TW030WA14), 8" Mid-bass driver (I think it is the Peerless HDS164), high-end but simplified crossover that Mike calls a "bleeding pearler" with 10 gauge hand-wound air core inductors, hand-built ribbon wiring, etc.  

Custom enclosure with combination of Solid Cast Iron Rod Differential Braces and iron angle, post-stressed with additional proprietary bracing, extremely low energy storage, high quality Acrolink pure copper binding posts, bass port is 90mm in diameter and 500mm long.

Paradigm Signature S6 - Made in Canada, 31.8kg for the pair, 4 drivers, 3 way with Beryllium tweeter, 91dB, Freq. Res. down to 45 Hz, Co-Pal midrange 7" and 2x mineral poly-pro 7" low freq. drivers, front ported

Wharfedale Evo 4.4 - Designed in UK, Made in China, 25.6kg for the pair, great reviews, trickle down Elysian, 3 way with AMT tweeter, 2" dome mid-range, 2x 6.5" Kevlar woofers, 89dB, Freq. Res. down to 44Hz, Slot Loaded Profiled Port (i.e. down-firing bass port)

Focal Kanta No 2 - Made in France, 35kg for the pair, 4 drivers, 3 way with Beryllium tweeter, 6.5" flax midrange + 2x 6.5" flax woofers, Freq. Res. down to 35 Hz, 91dB, dual ported (front and back)

Now remember, I'm learning as I go, so I didn't really start reading about crossover components and give them much thought until I started reading the Lenehan audio threads.  I also saw a funny video on YouTube where this guy rips apart expensive speakers like US$3000 Focal and say they have $12 worth of parts inside.  That was an eye-opener!

Being double the weight of even the Focal Kanta No 2, you can see that I got a lot of speaker for my money.  Although I was concerned about going for a 2-way instead of a 3-way, I thought that quality components and a simplified 2-way crossover might be better.

Comments I gathered from various threads regarding MLT3s:

• @Lenehan Audio says "sounds almost electrostatic-like through the mids and high, but a big well controlled crunch and stomp in the bottom"
  • @MrMojo who sold them to me says "sound phenomenal, no weakness, amazingly open, uncompressed sound"
  • @bhobba says "Mike tried to extract the last ounce of performance possible given its price point" - very close to ML3 Reference (Dueland Parts and foam front) - $15k? $20k? performance
  • Another user says "as others have said, the bass control is incredible"
  • @krebetman  says "I will say is that since owning these speakers, I have enjoyed music more and felt I have had more insight into the performance than with any of my previous speakers."
  • @Jventer says "If you know his speakers I would say high and midrange is about the same as the ML2 reference but the bass is better"
  • @Darren69 says " I have never heard so much goodness come from one 8in driver, seriously!!"
  • @matt200sr says "You guys are all dead set @#$& up in the head for selling these" "These mlt3s and the pair I subsequently sold to John are sooo close to the much more expensive ML offerings. I heard these last week and was gobsmacked." "Best speaker deal ever. Probably within two tenths of the ml3 ref at less than a quarter of the price."
  • @Lenehan Audio sold pre-production version for $3000 and said "doesn't equal full production version but will outperform anything on the market for $9000"
  • @Silver Audiophile says "A/B comparison next to my new Duntech Senators- Both Australian speakers- refined, musical, detailed, and share a similar natural uncoloured sound signatures. But, the Senator has the last edge of 10% in the uber refinement. It should- at a retail price over $20K!!"

General comments about Lenehan Gear

• Mike says "So far the Peerless Nomex drivers have produced the best midrange I have heard this side of the best paper diaphragm woofers.  The Nomex drivers sound like paper in the mids and do the bottom end like more conventional drives."
  • @ljmac says "If there's one thing that I can say really stands out about all of Mike's speakers, it's the midrange"
  • @Darren69 "Your speakers do the human voice and emotion like nothing I have ever heard."

My Listening Notes - Best speakers I have ever heard, totally destroy my KEF LS50s in ten seconds.  With $300 integrated amp from ebay (NAD326bee) + a basic roll of Monoprice speaker wire - they feel 3D and totally disappear into the sound stage.  

I have retired my Q Acoustics 3090ci centre channel.  I feel that there isn't a centre speaker that could timbre match the MLT3s and trying to configure it, I'd probably stuff it up.  I have a small space, so I do notice the the dialogue is not coming from right under the TV anymore, but the wider soundstage of the MLT3s make up for that.  It just sounds "different" and I have to get used to it.

I don't know how the Kanta No 2 would sound in my room, but the MLT3s I feel are either 90% as good, just as good, or even better than the $10k Kanta No 2.  

• Rage Against the Machine - Bullet in the Head: Compared to Q Acoustics Concept 20s with a PreSonus T10 Sub-woofer, I realise that the sub is doing a terrible job.  It is muddy, and too close to the wall, which is a limit of my space.  Also, the T10 is not good at projecting whole room bass, as the leather couch barely vibrates.  On the other hand, the bass port on the MLT3's is amazing.  When I place my hands on the couch I can feel it vibrate.  The bass in the room just feels so much more aligned with the sound, and it is punchy, deep and tight.  Running a YouTube Bass test, I can still definitely hear the bass at 23Hz, then it drops off around 22-21Hz.  So it's definitely a 25Hz-25Mhz pair of floorstanders.
  • Moving on Whiplash off the soundtrack for the movie, I A/B test the Q Acoustics through the VSX-932 Pioneer AV Receiver compared to the MLT3s through my NAD 326Bee.  My old setup sounds lame, but the MLTs instantly make me crack a smile at the 3D soundstage. 
  • OK now it is time to swap out the amps, so I plug the MLT3s into the Pioneer receiver and once again play Whiplash.  I feel like the teacher Terence Fletcher, because after I few seconds I make a fist in the air and shake it and say "that's not my sound".   My mistake was purchasing a receiver 2 years ago which doesn't have pre-outs for the front, so I have been hunting for a solution for this for a few weeks as I realise it was gonna be an issue, no matter what floorstanders I purchased.

I really don't need a sub-woofer with the Lenehans at all as they already go down to 23Hz which is amazing compared to the other floorstanders I was considering, really amazing vs Paradigm and Wharfedales.  I have moved my sub's crossover to lowest point at 50Hz, and reduced the output by -5 dB just so it is barely there for explosions and bullets and stuff.

The Q Acoustic Concept 20s now look great on their stands as my rear surrounds.  I also re-positioned my Gallo Acoustics Micro SEs which are my Atmos heights, I had them at the front behind the TV, but now after reading online, I moved them to about 15 degrees in front of the seating position so they are middle heights now.  I've retired my old rear surrounds (Q Acoustics 3010i).

So now I know, I have to upgrade my $500 (2.5 years ago) Pioneer VSX-932 AV Receiver, but with the HDMI bug, it's not so easy.  Also my discretionary bank account is drained, so it will take at least a month.  Really want a good in-built DAC (so hard to find) and good room correction, which limits me to learning to manually use REW, Audyssey XT32, or ARC, or seeing how the new 2021 Yamaha YPAO-RSC handles bass. and to get quality parts you have to spend SHITLOADS.   Of course, needs to be a receiver with 4K and HDR and pre-outs.

I'm considering a Denon 3700H for $2,699 with Audyssey XT32, the Anthem MRX-540 with ARC for $2,999 with a cheap external power amp to power my Atmos heights, followed by switching down the road to an expensive power amp and using that for my MLT3 fronts, or Yamaha Aventage RX-A6A (to be released) around $3,700.

Not considering Onkyo or Pioneer because unless they have a good model with Dirac. The new Yamaha is too expensive and will take a while before Amir at ASR has one to test.  I might just wait to get something used on the classifieds around $1000 with pre-outs, and then get a proper power amp or start learning about tube amps.

This morning, I was listening to 'round Midnight by Kenny Rankin from "The Worlds Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings" album.  To recap, this is an ALAC audio file, being sent from my Galaxy S10 over Poweramp via a chromecast to an Nvidia Shield (which has issues transmitting quality audio) then over to the shitty Pioneer AV Receiver.  

I'm listening to this saying to myself "wow, amazing speakers, who is this Kenny Rankin?"  So I google him, and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Rankin says that someone called his voice "a horn with a heartbeat".  And with the Lenehan MLT3s, even through shitty gear, shitty speaker wire and shitty DAC/ADCs, I can hear Kenny's voice, and it does sound like a horn with a heartbeat.

Let me know if you enjoyed my short story :D

Edited by Zanny
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a little bit of news for my weekly update.

Firstly, sold the PreSonus R65s studio monitors (finally) for $600 on marketplace, so I lost I think $50 from trying them out of the past six months.

Loving the Lenehan MLT3s, but not having a huge amount of time playing with them due to Melbourne being in lockdown 4.0 and the living room being my girlfriend's WFH space.  Mostly just watching our normal evening shows together.  Did watch Cruella through the crappy AV receiver and it was pretty great with all the 70s music they included in that film.

I had too many speakers so I finally did what I was thinking of earlier in this thread, which was to setup my parents Foxtel / old 1080p Sony TV with some decent audio.  I donated the Pioneer A-109 integrated 40w amp and some Q Acoustics 3010i connected to TV via RCA.  When setting it up, had some issues with the inputs all flashing red, some googling and I discovered it was due to the red/black speaker wires touching, so once I fixed that, it works ok.  Honestly, to me it sounded like crap, and they can't even really tell the different from the 2x5 watt TV speakers or whatever it has, but I'm happy I tried.

What else? In other news, I bought three new toys:

1) A Topping D10s DAC from the classifieds on here for a bargain $70, and it's a significant improvement over my old Fiio E10k DAC which I've had for ages.  My KEF LS50s sound improved.  With the Fiio, the NAD C356Bee was at about 40% volume.  With the D10s, it lives at about 15% unless the girlfriend is out, when I can put it up.

2) Beresford TC-7220 AUDIO ROUTER MKIII - I think this will solve my AV receiver not having pre-outs issue for 2 channel stereo listening with the MLT3s, I will run speaker wire to both the crappy Pioneer receiver and my new power amp, and can flick a switch between them without buying a new A/V receiver. 

I just am not in love with any of the 2021 AV receivers regarding audiophile sonics.  I was considering the Denon 3700H but it doesn't really "do" anything the Pioneer is missing currently that I need.  Only the Denon X8500 and A110 use decent 2 channel stereo DACs (AKM AK4490EQ) and they are out of my budget.  Also was considering the Anthem MRX540 with ARC, but not happy the amp matrixing (reassign fronts to ATMOS heights and use separate power amp) is not a feature on the 540, only on the 740 and 1140 which are too expensive.   The new 2021 Sony RX-A6A also is too expensive.

Instead I want to spend more time listening to music in the living room, which leads me to:

3) AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC XLR Class D Stereo Amplifier Ncore 2x250W 4 Ohm for $793 shipped from France

So I started learning on the weekend about Bruno Putzeys and the new type of Class D like Hypex and Purifi.  Some of you I'm sure are well ahead of me here.  I read this interview with him: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/bruno-putzeys-head-class-d

Which lead me to considering my budget, at first I was all for getting a Purifi model, high powered from March Audio for $2420, the P452. 

But I think 2x250w will be enough for me, and there is nothing specific that the Purifi does that the Ncore can't do.

This image sums it up:

image.thumb.png.54325c62138c6876d1898d4f0281bd3b.png

Then it was just a price shootout between March Audio and everyone else.  While I would like to support a local manufacturer, his P252 is $1083 including GST and shipping, and the Audiophonics model is $793 including GST and customs, by my approximation.   

Lastly, I'm considering a DAC to go in the living room to complete my 2 channel setup.  I'm leaning towards the Soncoz SGD1 with separate toroidal transformers for digital and analog, which in asian DACs is only on the Guastard A22 for $1884.  The SGD1 is $729 and has balanced XLR, a remote and a volume knob and reviews very well.  Also considering the SMSL SU9, also with (worse) remote and volume, better screen for $629.

Great aussie review here:

So my next challenge after I get all these parts, is room correction.  I'm looking at getting a UMIK-2 microphone and learning to use REW instead of ARC or Dirac.

Next update, I'll hopefully have my living room 2 channel setup going, with the Behringer UMC 204HD in the meantime, connected to the Hypex power amp to my Samsung TabPro S (windows OLED tablet) running MusicBee, as I'm not into the whole Roon/Tidal MQA thing.

Edited by Zanny

• 3 weeks later...

Great job on documenting your recent journey into hifi.  Looks like you’ve spent a small fortune in a lot of gear over a short period of time. Great score with the Lenehans. They should serve you well for some time. 

What did you mean that it sounded like rubbish when you connected your parents TV with your old equipment? And compared to what? Do they only watch FTA channels?